Which Uni-Vibe cuts better through a band mix?

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by abnerfm, Jan 16, 2015.

1. abnerfm

abnerfm Member

I mean, which one is kinda heavier in the mids? FWIW, I have/had:

- Dunlop Uni-Vibe Stereo;
    - Voodoo Lab Micro Vibe;
    - Dunlop "regular" Uni-Vibe (the older/bigger one);
    - Sweet Sound Mojo Vibe;
    - Danelectro Chicken Salad.

Thanks in advance.

2. abnerfm

abnerfm Member

3. TheWayfarer84

TheWayfarer84 Supporting Member

Can’t tell you from experience (yet) but I just bought the JAM Retro vibe for exactly this reason.

abnerfm and Renardm like this.
  4. bastian

bastian Member

From my experience with lots of different vibes, my best answer for your question wouldbe the MJM 60s vibe.

abnerfm likes this.
  5. Steven

Steven Member

Its not on your list but the Drybell Vibemachine has very good tweakabillity with two different buffer settings and a separate volume trim pot so it can really be integrated into different set ups and IMO geting lost in a band mix is absolutely not an issue with it.

ryandfl, abnerfm and schizo910 like this.
  6. bxlxaxkxe

bxlxaxkxe Supporting Member

You seem to have a lot of experience with different vibes man- I'm jealous. What all have you owned? What's your favorite overall?

7. IanJarrold

IanJarrold Member

You might want to check out the EQD “The Depths” which has a “Voice” control that “adjusts the midrange focus”

I owned one and liked it but couldn’t dial in a completely “trad” vibe sound so sold it. I now play a lovepedal vibronaut 5K that I like a lot but I must say I like the look of the Vibe Machine and the JAM vibe too...

Last edited: Jan 3, 2018
    abnerfm likes this.
  8. bastian

bastian Member

Yes, I went a little overboard with vibes last year, right now I'm doing the same with wahs... I'm sure I already forget a few but from the top of my head I had (mostly all of them at the same time at one point):
    DryBell, JAM RetroVibe, MJM 60s, OxFuzz OxVibe, Sweet Sound MojoVibe & UltraVibe, Fulltone MiniDejaVibe, Lovepedal Vibronaut 5k, Bearfoot MGMV, Mobius, FoxRox AquaVibe
    ...what I learned from this is basically two things.
    a) all of them sound (quite) different, which was a little surprising to me at first because many of those claim to be "the one real exact copy of the original".. whatever
    b) while they all are different, I could be happy with any of those I named.
    When I had them next to each other playing through them, for every different song I was playing I had another favourite vibe. And the next day it was different again maybe. So...
    To answer your question, in the end I sold all but the DryBell. I actually upgraded to the DryBell V2 in the meantime. While the DryBell is the most compact and easy to use/power of them all, I want to make clear that I chose it over the others 100% just because of the sound. It just delivers the sound in my head as soon as I turn it on, while every other Vibe didnt satisfy me thoroughly no matter how much I was tweaking them. But again, you cant really say any of those is sounding bad or anything like that. It's (as always) a matter of personal taste.
    Here's how I'd characterize some of them:
    - DryBell: easy to use tone, very balanced, not too nasally, sounds rather airy but still a lot interesting sonically going on
    - JAM RetroVibe: very thick and dense sound, but in a very awesome way. Love the modulation, I found it to have above average pitch modulation. While I found it very inspiring, I couldnt use it for like Philip Sayce kinda tunes.
    - MJM 60s: talk about Hendrix in a box. This thing has the most pronounced MID bump, which makes it sound dirty and cutting through. Not the beautiful sound of the JAM or the balanced more airy sound of the DryBell but dirty as a pushed Wah
    - OxVibe: Very airy/transparent tone, rather scooped than mid-pushed. I felt the sound of the guitar coming out of this box had the widest range from bass to treble overall, big awesome box and the sound is just as big and awesome. This is the Philip Sayce vibe of all vibes, reminded me very much of his tones.
    - Fulltone MDV: unbelievably disappointing, flat sounding, no depth, no intensity, I dont know how people can use it. Probably older units are better? Every Fulltone product disappointed me so far so I didnt care for it.
    - Lovepedal Vibronaut 5k: hard to dial in/use. I think there is some great potential tone in there, but it is very tricky to get. Love the treble/bass approach but didnt get it to sound as I hoped for. Dont mix up with the digital 4K dsp version.
    - Bearfoot MGMV: not exactly marketed as a vibe, and indeed it isnt. It's more like a trem, so doesnt really do much for vibe tone needs.
    - FoxRox AquaVibe: delivers high quality vibe sounds, the classic tones are there, and with the center-knob you can dial in different voices. Interesting to use it with depth all the way down just using the center knob as a clean-sound shaper. But that wasnt worth the price for me and I was more tweaking than playing with it.
    - Sweet Sound Vibes: they do what they are supposed to do, but there is no magic involved and I wasnt too impressed. I see them as univibe work horses, probably just like the original would be.
    - Mobius: no serious substitute for vibes. For me the mobius has the best trem on the planet right now (yes I compared it to Fulltone ST, ST2, Diamond, Empress, SA, ...) and infact I use it since years only for trem (..i know..) but for vibe.. forget it.

9. IanJarrold

IanJarrold Member

Totally agree with this - took me some time to experiment with the internal trimmers before I found my sweet spot... worth taking the time over, but it’s quite a finicky process.

10. bxlxaxkxe

bxlxaxkxe Supporting Member

Thanks for the details- that was awesome to read. While your approach is expensive and time consuming, it's really the only way to figure it out. I'm going to be doing my own test in a similar fashion but with far less vibes. It's going to be the latest MDV, Retrovibe, Drybell, and possibly one other. The Drybell, while seemingly plain to me at first, is becoming more and more intriguing the more I listen to it and read reviews.

abnerfm and bastian like this.
  11. tideluva

tideluva Member

As did I. I never got the whole vibe thing until this. I LOVE it!

PedalCrazyFool likes this.
  12. Help!I'maRock!

Help!I'maRock! Member

I bought a Foxrox Aquavibe and I love it. Imagine my surprise when I found the best setting is pictured on the box!

Flatscan and V846 like this.
  13. bastian

bastian Member

Good for you! Definitely a top notch guitar pedal! I tried to google it, but what are the pictured settings? Did you try the trick with depth all the way down and using the center knob to voice your guitar tone? I loved it with the center knob around 9:30 with my strat.

14. Help!I'maRock!

Help!I'maRock! Member

I haven't done that!

[​IMG]

V846 and bastian like this.
  15. bastian

bastian Member

Ha, it never came to my mind to look at a box and try those settings! I wonder if @Dave Fox chose those settings on purpose, I'd guess so!
    I remember liking the little knobs at about the same settings, although I tend to run vibes with lower speed, the AV at around 9-10 I believe.

16. henryjurstin13

henryjurstin13 Member

Do you have any experience with a Voodoo Lab Micro Vibe? I've yet to demo a Drybell, but your review seems to be very consistent to what most are experiencing with that pedal...

17. Renardm

Renardm Member

Only Vibe pedals I have are the Deja Vibe and Jam Retro. The Jam Retro sounds a lot better to my ears and it does seem to push the mids.

18. Mcentee2

Mcentee2 Supporting Member

I had the MV for a while, my two beefs with it were:

1) It was darker than I liked - related to input impedance and probably circuit choices.

2) When placed in front of my fuzzes it sent them crazy - so probably a low output impedance.

So the MV had to go....

I knew that 2) wasn't the same for all Vibes before fuzzes as I have seen plenty of youtube vids and people posting about such a set up.

Long story short I landed on the Drybell v2 (I did have a v1 but sold it a while back for some obscure and forgotten reason!) and that has the Grit trim that although described as affecting the "presence" it actually tunes the output impedance and really lets you dial it in in front of a fuzz to whatever flavour of calm/harsh you like.

Even shorter, watch the Drybell youtube videos, that is where it's at....

For me, that Grit (output Imp) control is a killer feature and should be on all vibes.....

abnerfm and henryjurstin13 like this.
  19. Help!I'maRock!

Help!I'maRock! Member

I tend to twist the speed with my foot, but the other controls are pretty much as pictured.

20. 71strat

71strat Member

Roger Mayer Voodoovibe+. Its also very quiet, at 102db, s/n ratio.

bxlxaxkxe and abnerfm like this.