Which US Fender Strats are the CHUNKY maple neck variety ?

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by Rock Fella, Jul 16, 2006.

1. Rock Fella

Rock Fella Member

With me being a Les paul player , id never get used to slimline necks , so which of the US strats have a good ole baseball bat maple neck ?

Jimmy

2. ChrisB

ChrisB Member

The '56 time machine and the older Jeff Beck sig are certainly on the larger side

3. Hipster Dofus

Hipster Dofus Member

The Eric Johnson is not a moster, but it is bigger. It has the 12' radius like a lester as well. The biggest neck I ever felt was prolly the Jeff beck, then my old R8, next wouls be a Fender no-caster, 56' Custom shop strat, then the EJ in that order.

4. Rock Fella

Rock Fella Member

the beck was the one i was thinking of , how do they stock up as a quality giggable strat, any issues i should be aware of ?

5. K-Line

K-Line Gold Supporting Member

Have one built, then you get what you want.

6. VaughnC

VaughnC Supporting Member

It's not a US Strat (made in Mexico)....but don't overlook the Jimmie Vaughan Strat. It has standard American Vintage hardware so nothing really needs replaced out of the box and it has a nice chunky 9.5" radius neck with medium jumbo frets. Mine is stock, and once I set it up the way I like it, it's one of the best Strats I've ever played and one heck of a bang for the buck.

The Eric Johnson Strat would also be an excellent consideration....but is much more expensive than the JV model. And it has a 12" fretboard radius which should make it feel more Gibson-like.

The Fender Custom shop '56 model also has a chunky maple neck, but with a 7.25" vintage radius.

The SRV Strat also has a chunky neck with 12" radius but has a pau ferro fretboard that IMO is tonally closer to maple than rosewood.

I never played the Beck model but I believe that has a rosewood fretboard.

7. bluegrif

bluegrif Member

I'm a chunky neck guy myself and honestly, few Strats are going to have a neck quite as chunky as a 50s Gibson. Obviously you can buy a very chunky Warmoth neck (and I have a couple of those) but the question seems to be which production Fenders. Definitely look at the Jimmie Vaughan Strat, it's one of my favorite production models because of the features Jimmie specified, mainly the neck. Nice profile and good width. As already stated it has quality hardware and surprisingly good pickups. Another thing to be aware of is many of the reissue Strats, both production and Custom Shop, have necks that are narrower at the nut, even if the neck is thicker. I don't care for the 1 5/8 nut width that is so common on vintage and vintage-reissue Strats and if you're used to 50s-style Gibsons you need to consider the nut width. A narrow nut will make the neck feel smaller. I'd rather play a modern Fender's regular C-shape and 1 11/16 nut than a thicker neck that's narrower.
    I haven't played the Jeff Beck model but I have heard that newer JB Strats don't have the really big neck of his original model. Jeff's own preference has changed over the years. But if you're OK with the roller nut (maybe a standard nut can be retrofitted) you might like the early model. I've always seen that neck described as "huge".

8. Rock Fella

Rock Fella Member

The JV strat is a mexican one isnt it, how does it compare to a US model and is its neck on a par sizewise with the beck ?

9. Johnnytone

Johnnytone Supporting Member

Custom Shop only, especially if you're used to your R9. The JV Strat has a sliiiiightly chunky neck, but nowhere near what I would call fat. The 56 Strat is nice. The Eric Johnson neck is nice also, but, again when comparing to my R8, it still feels too small.

A "good ole baseball bat neck" and "Fender" rarely go together.

10. VaughnC

VaughnC Supporting Member

If you want a "good ole baseball bat neck, the only Fender I've played that actually fits that description is the '51 Nocaster reissue.

11. Rock Fella

Rock Fella Member

My worst case scenario is a neck like an ibanez wizard , i couldnt live with a neck like that , even the 90s hamers have necks which are too thin for my liking . My R9 has a fairly chunky neck, not as huge as some of those boat oar R7 and R8`s that were made but she certainly aint slim either......a neck like that would be ideal.

12. HHB

HHB Member

I just made a partsocaster "blackie" tribute 57 strat, got an Allparts SMO-FAT , it's on par w/ an R9 or my 58 LPjr ballbat neck

13. bluegrif

bluegrif Member

Yes, the JV Strat is a Mexican one. But it's one that I and many others prefer to the regular production US Strat necks, primarily because it combines the width of a modern Fender neck with the depth of a fifties Strat neck. But, it's not a big, chunky feeling neck like the one on my Flying V Custom (based on the 59 V). But the JV's combination of width and depth tends to feel more substantial than the majority of Strat necks and I would recommend you have a look at one. Plus, the guitar is tremendous deal at around $600.
    As I've said, the problem with many of the thicker Fender reissue necks is they're actually narrower (I believe he EJ neck is a 1 5/8 nut as well) which makes them feel smaller to me. Having said that, I'm sure the Custom Shop is all over the map and if you call a dealer who stocks a lot of CS Fenders they could probably hook you up.
    The biggest production Fender necks I've played have been Telecasters, not Strats.
    Unfortunately, I haven't gotten my hands on a Jeff Beck Strat so I can only go on what I've read, which is the early ones had huge necks.

14. slayer

slayer Member

You could get Warmoth to make you one. They have a neck profile called the "Fat Back", big and round. That would be sweet with a birdseye maple neck!! Jack.

15. John Hurtt

John Hurtt Supporting Member

The biggest production Fender Strat neck has to be the older JB's. The current model is much closer to a standard USA standard shape.

16. bluegrif

bluegrif Member

Yeah, that's exactly what I've read. I don't know if Jeff's preference has changed through the years or if the big neck JBs just weren't selling.

17. Tapp

Tapp Member

I was in the same situation, I couldn't find a production Strat neck that I liked. The Eric Johnson came close but I really didn't like the soft V. I would have gone with the SRV but I didn't like the lefty trem. I had Tommy a USACG make me a fatter C neck and it turned out great! I also have a Nocaster Relic and it is really fat yet really comfortable!

Tapp

18. tonedaddy

tonedaddy Member

I am here as you are here as you are me and we are
    I'd agree with getting an aftermarket Warmoth/USACG/Allparts fat neck if something like the JV Strat isn't fat enough.

I like a very thick neck (preferably 1" thick at the 1st fret). I've never tried on old JB, but I couldn't find anything in production Strats locally that met my needs. Finally found a Warmoth Strat with fatback profile neck, and it's works perfectly for me.

If you can't find a stock Fender that works neck-wise, I say don't hesitate to simply replace the neck.