Which versatile 112 Combo ?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by troublehead, Jan 19, 2006.

1. troublehead

troublehead Member

I always wanted a 112 all tube combo that I can just grab and go with. What are some quality combos that will go from Fender cleans to AC/DC crunch to early VH-type gain. I can use a boost for the harder stuff. I definately want 2 channels and an effects loop. Needs to have a good low/moderate volume tone and 50 watts or less. Some of the more common ones I'm eyeing are the Peavey Valveking and the Randall MTS with Blackface/SL+ modules. What are some good, lesser known combos out there ? Let's assume price is no issue for now. Here are some I have tried and didn't like for reference:

Mesa F-30
    Peavey XXX 40

2. troublehead

troublehead Member

Just heard some clips of the Traynor 50 Blue. I am amazed ! Anyone have any experience with this amp ?

3. JES1680

JES1680 Silver Supporting Member

Find a used Bogner Shiva 1x12. That and a boost pedal and you'll be set.

4. troublehead

troublehead Member

I know what you mean. I guess I should have left out that price "no option". I just wish more companies would make combos with closed cabs like the Shiva.

5. rbuono

rbuono Member

Rivera R55 12 does it all

6. vbjamin

vbjamin Member

There are so many. I can personally recomend a Mesa DC-5, Marshall Silver Jubillee 1x12. Peavey C-30 with a Greenback.

7. ratkent

ratkent Member

Have you played a VHT 45 combo? I'm not the biggest VHT fan but those things sound great.

8. hw2nw

hw2nw Member

Bogner Shiva (w/ boost pedal)
    Bat Cat Hot Cat 30R (a little more versatile)

9. Eric Pykala

Eric Pykala Member

The Traynor YCV50 Blue is just a wailing amp for the bucks. 46 lbs, clean channel sounds reasonably Fendery, but the second channel sounds like a great modded Marshall with a footswitchable boost function. Accutronics reverb, Celestion Vintage 30...it's all there for very few bucks. By the way, the build quality on these amps is superb! I use mine alone for smaller shows, then bring the matching extension cab for outdoor or other large shows. Do a search, my take on this amp is shared by many.-Eric

10. UnderTheGroove

UnderTheGroove Supporting Member

Another one worth looking at is the Budda Super Drive 30. It has a great clean sound (but different from Fender), and a great distortion channel. It also has an effects loop.

11. monkmiles

monkmiles Supporting Member

A Carvin Nomad gets fendery cleans and Zeppelin-esue dirt between its 2 channels. Throw a tube screamer in front of channel 2 and you can get good VH type distortion as well.

12. Joe Perry

Joe Perry Member

Mesa Lonestar original w/ 6L6's. Two channels, has a loop and a boost that works on both channels. You can dial in the 2nd channel to a ton of diffrent tones. 50/100 watts with a built in (sort of) "Variac".

13. thintele

thintele Member

+1
    these are a very versatile, great sounding grab and go... fx loop , verb and built in boost

14. tedjac

tedjac Guest

No one has mentioned this amp yet... a little pricey, but very well made and very versatile... plus it will do some things tonally that many amps won't

15. David-R

David-R Supporting Member

+1 :AOK

I have one and I agree that these are nice amps, especially for the money. I will say that both the YCV40 that I no longer own and the YCV50 that I currently own broke and had to sent back to Traynor for warranty repairs. I question the build quality but the warranty service was stellar.

16. jbow

jbow Member

Wait around until you have a chance to check out the new Fender Super-sonic. It may turn out to be a boat anchor, then again it may turn out to be just what you want. It really has my GAS going...

J

17. covert

covert Member

The Randall is a great machine. Been using the Plexi and SL+ or TB and Sl+ combinations quite a bit. The cabinet is a bit large for a grab and go 1x12. For flexability, the Rivera M60 is hard to beat, also larger cab. At the moment, MKIII boogie, with simul class and EL34s would be my most likely choice.