Which vibrato pedal (pitch) is the best?

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by 6789, Oct 17, 2005.

1. 6789

6789 Member

Which vibrato pedal (pitch) with true bypass is the best?

2. erksin

erksin Member

I think 'best' is subjective, but I really liked the Austone Vibro-Stomp. Way out of my price range, so I 'settled' on the DLS Chorus~Vibe - I'm totally satisfied with it's Vibrato tones - very Magnatone (which I've owned and was trying to replicate). If Vibrato is a huge component of your tone, maybe the Austone is the way to go - but if you use it sparingly, the DLS is very hard to beat IMO. I've owned an original Roland CE-1 and a Boss VB-2 Vibrato - the DLS cops those units easily...

3. TaronKeim

TaronKeim Member

I've heard a lot of really great things about the Frantone Vibutron... haven't personally gotten to try it out myself though.

-TJK

4. 6789

6789 Member

The Frantone Vibutron is actually a tremolo pedal. the volume modulates. I'm looking for the pitch to vary.
    Thanks for suggestions

5. TaronKeim

TaronKeim Member

I had no idea that the Vibutron didn't do pitch modulation as well... the extreme setting I heard it at had pitch mod, but most trems do at extreme settings, sorry for steering you wrong, good thing you know what you're talking about;)

Now... I had a Electro-Harmonix Wiggler True-Tube Vibrato... and it was a decent pedal, but wasn't THAT great, it had more of a chorus feel than a vibe feel and was a bit too noisy for my liking, however, on stage, it could cop some decent maggie and leslie vibe sounds. Also true-bypass!

The other thing I'd look out for is that Scotty from ProAnalog is working on a Vibrato pedal for 2006 that should blow everything out of the water, he knows his stuff and makes a great product, so if you have time to wait, I do that.

Or you could do what I am, saving money for a Juke 1210 with true maggie-style vibrato, trem and verb to die for;)

-TJK

6. 6789

6789 Member

If the Frantone Vibutron does modulate the pitch at some settings, then it's my mistake. I tried one at a store but I kept it set at more moderate settings - It was the best tremolo pedal I tried.

I've always wondered about the Juke amps. I wish I could find a clip of one. A friend of mine has an old Ampeg Reverborocket that has the same type of reverb that the Juke is supposed to have and it sounds great. Have you heard a juke?

I play a Victoria Regal, which gives a nice big sound.

thanks for the suggestions

7. BmoreTele

BmoreTele Member

Most of the univibe-clones have a Vibrato mode. My Voodoo Vibe does this quite well.

I also have the DLS C~V and it can get pretty sick.

Several delay pedals with modulation (DMM, PDS 20/20, Memory Lane, Quicksilver) will do some major pitch shifting wobbles, but it's only effecting the delayed signal. I guess you could crank it to 100% wet, but you'd still have a lag between your main signal and the vibrato'd one. Similar to the problem with a "live" reverse delay.

Buildyourownclone is planning on a VB-2 clone. Could be interesting.
    http://www.buildyourownclone.com/vibrato.html

Good luck! Write if you get work.

;)

8. erksin

erksin Member

Yeah, the cool thing about the DLS is the Depth switching - you can dial in as much as you'd like, can get pretty extreme at the highest settings.

Cool that it's stereo as well - big spread...

9. Chrissy

Chrissy Member

3 that come to mind:

The RM voodoo vibe set to vibrato mode
    The Lovetone Doppelgänger set to vibrato mode
    The BJF Mint Green Mini Vibe (which will give you a bit of pitch wobble that sounds like it has a bit of trem going on with it)

Used to have all 3, but only kept the MGMV

chris

10. decay-o-caster

decay-o-caster Member

I have the Austone Vibrostomp. It's a combination of vibrato and trem. I think the vibrato is excellent, the trem is pretty darn good.

I'd recommend it if you're up to shelling out the bread for it.

11. erksin

erksin Member

The Austone IS Magnatone Vibrato in a pedal - very accurate. If you're looking for more extreme Vibrato tones (like Nirvana 'Come As You Are' type stuff), you can also look at the EH stuff too...