Which Volume Pedal?

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by Baby Evil, Feb 27, 2006.

1. Baby Evil

Baby Evil Member

I'm looking for a sturdy one that won't mess with my signal. What are your recommendations?

Jan

2. beej

beej Supporting Member

Can't go wrong with the Ernie Ball VP Jr.

250k for a passive signal (ie. guitar->amp) or 25k for an active signal (ie FX loop, guitar with active p'ups, etc.)

3. Tweeker

Tweeker Supporting Member

I think the key words here are "won't mess with my signal".
    The two Ernie Ball pedals I've had were noticeable tone suckers, but sooooooooo many people use em and have no problem. It depends on your set up and your ears I suppose.
    I saved my pennies for a top o the line Goodrich LDR2 and can't be happier.
    It's an active pedal that does not mess with my tone. It's pricey compared to the EB stuff, and uses a wall wart, but it's quality can't be denied.

4. tedjac

tedjac Guest

+1 for Ernie Ball... built like a tank and totally quiet. never had any tone suck with Ernie Ball VPs... but then I never used more than two or three pedals.

5. ari

ari Member

*Spam alert*

I have a George Dennis volume pedal that I'm about to sell -- it's active, but an optical pedal with absolutely no tone degradation. I have a Geordge Dennis Parametric Wah/Volume pedal, so this one has been just sitting around. PM me if interested. Thanks!

ari

6. JBarlow

JBarlow Member

Goodrich LDR 2!!! Night and day with the Ernie Ball VP Jr.

7. 6AM

6AM Supporting Member

I too will chime in with the tonal inferiority of the Ernie Ball volume pedals. I always figured that it was the best volume pedal out there, but when I compared my tone with and without it, there was a shocking amount of signal/frequency loss. When I originally mentioned this a few years ago, people said I was crazy. :NUTS

Anyway, I now have a Goodrich H10K that when using the buffered output sounds perfect. I am surprized to see how many EB's I see on otherwise good pedal boards.

8. rwe333

rwe333 Supporting Member

'Nother vote for various Goodrich models.

9. Kidcactus

Kidcactus Supporting Member

I went from an Ernie Ball Jr. to a Goodrich LDR2 and there is no comparison. You don't loose your highs when you back off the Goodrich.

10. GAT

GAT Gold Supporting Member

+1 Goodrich LDR2

11. LouRossi

LouRossi Member

But is there a passive volume that is acceptable with 'tone suck' issues?

12. michael.e

michael.e Supporting Member

+ 11 for the LDR2. Don't even bother with the rest.
    M.E.

13. webb

webb Member

+1 on the LDR2.

But if you already own a pedal with a good buffer in it, the klon or morning dew eq come to mind, you can run one of those in front of the ernie ball VP.
    It seems to straighten out some of the tone suckage.

14. Baby Evil

Baby Evil Member

Thanks for the suggestions, looks like the ldr2's the winner. Now to find a place in europe that has it.

Jan

15. Cap'n Fingers

Cap'n Fingers Member

T-Town. Home of street construction hell!
    Anyone know if there's a big difference between the Goodrich and George Dennis pedals?

16. malabarmusic

malabarmusic Member

I had the exact same experience with a new, full size EB pedal back in '98. I really didn't think it was a buffering issue, and couldn't make sense of the tonal differences with the EB in and out of the signal path.

Then I "popped the hatch" and was shocked to see a flimsy circuit board (in a passive volume pedal?!) onto which were mounted the various jacks. Connected to the board were wires approximately the diameter of a human hair that culminated in a plastic snap-on thingy that barely kissed the contacts of the pot. Good thing I was plugging into it with a primo cable!

Anyway, I later went on eBay and bought an "old school" Ernie Ball. This one is PTP ;) and the whole ball of componentry is exactly what it should be -- high quality pots, jacks, wires, and solder. I sent it back to EB, and for $45 (including shipping :AOK ) they rebuilt it. This is a standard service in which basically everything except the case is replaced with brand spanking new parts.

So ... my "new" old EB volume pedal is first in line after my guitar and the tone is pure. I'm sure the buffered pedals work great in some applications, but I like the volume pedal feeding a drive pedal with an unbuffered signal. In the passive realm, I would avoid new EBs like the plague and snap up old EBs in a heartbeat.

End of $0.02.

- DB