Which volume pedal??

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by celestion101, Jun 16, 2008.

1. celestion101

celestion101 Silver Supporting Member

Before I go head first into another Hilton or Goodrich (owned one and sold like a idiot!), is there anything else to consider that will not suck tone? I will use it after my OD's and before the delay so I can maintain the gain at lower volumes. I've seen EB Jr's and others on a lot of Nashville stages, but I understand that the Hilton and Goodrich are the front runners. I play tele's through a 65 Royal Albert and a few other low powered amps. Also, which model for the Hilton or Goodrich...passive, active? Suggestions are appreciated! RS

2. Sniper-V

Sniper-V Member

Under the Hilton and Goodrich stuff...

The Boss FV-500H/L heavy duty volume pedals have been the best I've used and still use.

3. Axekisser

Axekisser Member

I run an EB Jr (250K) on both my boards after a buffer pedal and don't hear any tone suck at all. Most every pro I've seen or played with has a EB on their board.

4. TheGuildedAge

TheGuildedAge Member

The only thing I don't like about my little alligator is the swell rate. My local store has a boss fv-300H, so I am selling the morley to get that.

I prefer my morely to our singers eb for general tone and cleaning up my amp, but I like the feel of his better for swells.

I'm super picky though, and have been through a few volume pedals.

5. Ed Reed

Ed Reed Senior Member

I have both the Boss and EB pedals, I like the Boss the best. I use both all the time though.

6. jamison162

jamison162 Supporting Member

I tried the Boss after you guys recommendation. The swell sucks big time on it, it was pretty much either on or off. The EB had a much better feel. In addition, I found the Boss still sucked high end when plugging the guitar straight in. Plus the Boss is huge chunck of metal.

I'm going back to a Lo Z EB Jr and using my RC Booster in front of it, and I may also try the George Dennis GD-20 everyone has been talking about lately.

If those don't work, guess I'll have to try the Goodrich then a Hilton. But my money's on the EB Jr.

7. Scumback Speakers

Scumback Speakers Gold Supporting Member

The EB Jr, with it's 250K pots sucked tone on my friend's pedalboard. I got the regular EB volume pedal with the 500K pots and it's much better, although I can still hear a tiny bit of decreased signal.

8. beej

beej Supporting Member

Any volume pedal with a passive circuit is going to "suck tone" a bit. If it doesn't bother you, great. If it does, you need a buffer.

It's like wiring up another volume control on your guitar- a 250k pot in parallel to the other pots in your guitar - is going to lower the overall resistance seen by your guitar. (1/Rtotal=1/R1+1/R2+1/R3 ... etc.)

When you decrease the resistance in your guitar you essentially shift the resonant peak downward, the effect of which is to loose highs. Conversely, when you add in higher value pots you're adding overal resistance which brightens up the signal. The whole signal chain- pickups, pots, caps, cable, amp is in play. (Good article on this here http://buildyourguitar.com/resources/lemme/index.htm.)

So- if you don't want the VP to have any effect on your tone you'll need to put it in the FX loop of your amp or after a buffer. When you do that, you'll want to use the low impedance or "active" version of the pedal (25k or so). In that configuration you won't notice any loss of highs.

Other than that, pick the VP you like the size and feel of. I'm partial to the Ernie Ball VP Jr. (And it's in my FX loop.)

9. Sniper-V

Sniper-V Member

Wow, then we definitely have different needs and/or expectations.

I feel the Boss FV500s swells are fine and actually pretty standard. Love the pedal tension adjustment feature too! Everyone I've recommended the Boss to has really dug it and most were replacing an EB.

I think the all EBs suck.

10. jamison162

It's hit or miss with just about all volume pedals, depends on the users' expectations. There's A LOT more pro's out there using EB's than the Boss one's that's for sure.

And as far as the 500k pot Jim mentioned, EB only makes one volume pedal with a 500k pot....their large footprint, stereo volume pedal (according to their specs).

11. Catoogie

Catoogie Senior Member

I found the throw on the Ernie Balls to be too short, and I've owned two because I thought they were the ones to have. I now have the boss and it schools the EB in every way.

12. Deville2Rocket

Deville2Rocket Member

I really like the Visual Sound Visual Volume.
    You can use it either way... active or passive.

Swell is decent. I like mine, and I don't think it's a tone sucker.

13. semi-hollowbody

semi-hollowbody Member

I use an eb jr, with a boss pedal in front of it to act as a buffer,...I cant discenr ANY toke suckage or signal loss, no added noise...swell is awesome...works great...this is the ONLY volume pedal I have used so I cant say its better or worse than anything but it does what I need it to do...

14. jamison162

There must be some QC issues somewhere then because the EB and BOSS I had was complete opposite. The EB has a switch for two different tapers, you didn't like either one?

The Boss I had didn't actually sweep the whole range motion of the pedal. The travell was there (still felt a little awkward) but the actual attenuation didn't seem to work smoothly for the whole sweep.

15. jamison162

250k or 25k EB Jr.?

16. TheGuildedAge

TheGuildedAge Member

I just picked up a used bos fv-300h for a great price, and I like it a lot. Good sweep range. I only use volume pedals for swells, so this is my main concern. Amp sounds ok too if you use it to back off the gain.