Which Wagner 'bucker in SSH Strat?

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by thelionsden, May 17, 2005.

1. thelionsden

thelionsden Member

Somewhere near the Rock and Roll "Hole of Flames"
    Anybody try Wagner Humbuckers in a SSH Strat?..which one did you like best, if you tried more than one? My friend ordered a set of 2 SR singles and a Darkburst and when we met for breakfast on Sat, he handed them to me and said that if I wanted I could put them in my guitar to try! I put the singles in but the Darkburst had long standoffs and I didn't want to modify them without his permission. The SRs sound real fat but a bit dark so I ordered the RC electronics upgrade kit with the 300k pot which should dial those right in but I have to make a decision on a bucker...The strat is a hardtail and I like classic 70's crunch tones....

Thanks

Dennis

2. Matt Gordon

Matt Gordon Senior Member

Just courious, does he offer Fender spacing for some of the humbuckers? I was under the impression they are all Gibson spaced?

3. thelionsden

thelionsden Member

Hmm, I have not even thought about this yet.. I do know that they do not yet have frames with the smaller standoffs for the shallow route of a Strat..they have to be modified. They are trying to resolve this.

4. RvChevron

RvChevron Member

Well, I just got my Goodwood bridge in Zebra (will add on the nickel cover once Jim has them in), to go along with two new Kinmans for neck and mid positions.

Funny, I took a break installing them and saw this post....ran back and see if I'm screwed....

[​IMG]

The spacing on the Goodwood is for Gibson. The Wilkinson bridge on my Tyler has 2-1/8" string spread. Narrower than vintage strat trem but still wider than Gibson TOM.

I don't expect to have too much of an issue. Van Halen's Frankenstrat was much worse.......he sounded just fine then. ;)

The standoff plus the screws just "barely" got in there flush. The cavity on mine may be slightly deeper than regular strat. I still had to snipped off the screws to make them shorter.

The cavity on mine is about 7/8" to 15/16" deep, if that helps.

5. thelionsden

thelionsden Member

Good info, thanks. Let us know how it sounds in there!

6. Matt Gordon

Matt Gordon Senior Member

Scott Henderson mentioned that he really didn't notice the difference when using PAF spacing on a Fender trem, so maybe it isn't an issue with a lot of folks. I tend to stick with the correct spacing, but not sure if I could pick out one from another in a blind test. I'm definitely interested in the Wagners, but I've been totally happy with Suhr's bunckers, except the chrome covers, which I dislike. I have a DSV+ and a SSV+, and the DSV sounded better in the same guitar. The SSV is a cool sound for alt country though. ;)

7. gkelm

gkelm Supporting Member

Just FYI...I spoke with someone from one of the big pickup companies a while back (dimarzio or SD, can't remember??)...even that guy said the spacing would make no audible difference...that's been my (limited) experience as well.

Looking forward to reports on Waggies in strats. :)
    Greg

8. Turbozag

Turbozag Senior Member

Just curious, did you mean RS electronics upgrade kit? As in RS Guitarworks? Or is there also an RC kit?

:confused:

9. thelionsden

thelionsden Member

sorry, I meant RS

10. Scott Peterson

Scott Peterson Staff Member

I have PAF spacing WCR humbuckers in my Melancon's; don't sweat it. They are the best sounding guitars I have ever owned. I mean that sincerely.

11. jdsgilmour

jdsgilmour Suffering from chronic gearitis Gold Supporting Member

Sort of a related question (I stress the "sort of"). Anyone know if you can convert a SSH strat (1999 American Deluxe Fat Strat, to be exact) to SSS simply by swapping the pickups and pickguard (I also plan to put in new electonics from RS). In other words, can I do it without having to re-rout the cavity? It's tough to tell by only eye-balling pics of bodies if a single coil will fit in the humbucker bridge cavity. I'm looking to put in a set of Jim's SRs. Thanks.

John

12. thelionsden

thelionsden Member

Yea it is just a much bigger hole for the hum, should be plenty of room