Which wah under 200 bucks?

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by billyg121, Feb 8, 2011.

1. billyg121

billyg121 Supporting Member

with so many wahs out there now...signature dunlops,clyde clones...vox clones.....somebody suggest me a wah under 200 bucks,that can do hard rock to blues.thanks for any input.btw,i currently own a bbe wah...i just feel im missing something...

2. Darkburst

Darkburst Member

Wilson Signature Wah.

3. jb1911

jb1911 Member

Teese Picture wah

4. billyg121

are those wahs too"vintage"for hard rock?

5. evets618

evets618 Senior Member

The original JH-1 Jimi wah. The real early ones don't even have a battery door, as God intended. Rich, throaty, and for $200, you can get two or three.

6. DraggAmps

DraggAmps Member

Personally I'd spend a slight bit more and get a Teese Picture or Wheels of Fire. Or even a Fulltone Clyde depending on which you like more.

7. Braciola

Braciola Silver Supporting Member

Man, I was on a wah kick for a good three years.
    I tried everthing I could think of.
    As far as Teese.....I just don't get the hype.:dunno
    I tried every one of his wah's and they all left me unimpressed.
    The Joe Walsh was my favorite, but still was not good enough.

I bought a used Wilson wah from the emporium last year and that ended my search.
    Man, you gotta check one out for yourself....sooooo sweet!

8. mojoslide

mojoslide Member

The Jerry Cantrell wah would be perfect for this - especially hard rock. It's the wah that stopped me from searching. I play hard rock type stuff and it's perfect - sounds better to me than the Teese Picture wah I had. The only other one I'd suggest is over $200 but the Fulltone Clyde can do vintage wah or a bit more modern depending on how you set it. But take a look the Dunlop JC-95.

9. DonaldDemon

DonaldDemon Member

Same here, I'm digging my Wilson Rippah Q wah. I do not recommend the Pic Wah for hard rock at all, it's too vintage sounding. I also had a WoF and it just didn't cut through. I also love my Budda wah but its not always great for hard rock stuff.

Next on my list is the MXR/CAE!

10. teleclem

teleclem Member

Wilson wahs have good prices :aok

I like my Teese and I got it 2nd hand for <200. A lot of them sell for <200.

11. guitarz1972

guitarz1972 Member

Fulltone Clyde Standard.

12. billyg121

Thanks for the advice!my bbe wah,being more like a classic vox,is great for bluesy stuff,but just gets buried with high gain.the wahs I think I will try are the fulltone,cantrell wah,and cae.any more thoughts are welcome.thanks guys!

13. guitarz1972

guitarz1972 Member

Going back and re-reading I'll chime in again and offer this: Fulltone Clyde may not be much of an upgrade for you if you're basically happy with your bbe for bluesy stuff. The Clyde is supposed to be voiced just like an old Vox.

If you want something that might cut through the mix more, you might check out one of the Dunlop signature pedals with the gain-boost built in. I'd heard good things about the Slash pedal back when I was looking for a wah, also the Dimebag ("Wah From Hell?" Something like that) got pretty good reviews. Both are under $200.

14. A440

A440 Silver Supporting Member

agreed, great wah in it's stock form.

Last edited: Feb 9, 2011
  15. zztomato

zztomato Supporting Member

Area 51. Has a great sound. Preferred it to the Teese, Fulltone, Clyde McCoy. If you have the patience, go to a used music shop that has a good stock of 70's wah pedals and try a bunch out. One of the best sounding wahs I've ever had was an old Vox from the early 70's. Thing is, if you lined up 10 of the same pedal from back then they would all sound different.

16. CrispyTone

CrispyTone Member

Dunlop 95Q. I have it and its great.

17. dcmak5

dcmak5 Member

vintage thomas organ

18. JRBain

JRBain Member

I've heard this before, and it confuses me a bit. Clyde McCoy-style wahs tend to be pretty nasty sounding - lots of high-end cut, at least the ones I've heard. Isn't this something you want in almost all rock playing, apart from maybe really modern stuff, and metal? That's just my thinking, anyway. :)

As for my wah choices, personally I love my RMC Wizard (It still makes me grin inanely sometimes when I get to use it, after nearly four years now!), but the Crybaby Classic sounds good to me, and it's TB.

Otherwise if you're electronics-savvy like I wish I were, you could always find a GCB-95 used and mod the crap out of it....

19. jrjones

jrjones Supporting Member

Tremonti power wah! Seriously, for rock you can't beat it!

20. DraggAmps

DraggAmps Member

Maybe I should try a Wilson. To some extent I agree with RMC being overhyped but theyre just the best I've tried and they're made very well. I like their style but I'm in no way a wah aficionado. They're mostly just supposed to be replicas of great vintage wahs or variations, or modified versions of vintage wah, so either you like em or you don't. Personally I do but I'm mostly drawn to the fact that they're well made, unique, and not just another Vox or Dunlop.