Which Wah?

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by axm.88, Mar 10, 2015.

1. axm.88

axm.88 Member

Hey guys,

I've really wanted to replace my 90s v847 for a pedal with a bit more vocalness, and less tone sucking. I need a wah that can handle high gain (not dual rec high, marshall tsl60 lead full gain). However, that clean "Shaft" style wahka wahka is also desired. Battery covers is not an issue, as I plan to power with a Pedal Power 4X4. So preferably, I'd like an outer power jack. I also would need true bypass, because I want to run in front of some fuzzes.

I've been looking into crybabies, and I found 3 that I would consider:

1. Crybaby from hell (apparently the most versatile, tweakable)

2. Jc95 (The Cantrell sig. Like this voicing the most, however, if I could find another pedal like the dime or 535q that could do this, I'd take that)

3. 535q (cheapest, most tweakable. If very similar though, I'd rather take the Dime.

I'll play everything from blues, to metal, but the heaviest would be Slayer or Dream Theater, lightest being SRV.

I also looked into the Morley wahs, but I'm fine with switched wahs. I also heard pot lifespan is less with switchless. Is this true?

I love the Budda wah's casing (my fave wah casing imo) but I'm not a big fan of the sweep.

As nice as Teese and Wilson wahs are, I just don't have the budget. I'd preferably buy the pedal used under $125.

Thanks for all feedback!

2. monwobobbo

monwobobbo Member

have you looked at Morley at all? i us both the Classic and the Power wha and love both. i play similar stuff to you (but lean more towards 70s metal)

3. axm.88

axm.88 Member

Cool. I have a bit, but I don't need switchless. I also find the footprint a bit on the larger side. If I were to get a Morley, it would be the bad horsie 2, or the george lynch dragon 2.

4. TheRealDeal

TheRealDeal Member

5. Gumbygreeneye

Gumbygreeneye Member

I have the Morley Wah, Bad Horsie, a bog standard Dunlop Crybaby and a Jerry Cantrell Wah.

The Morley was my first and is 25 years old still going strong with a pleasant voice. The Bad Horsie is a little more aggressive in voicing but for me disappeared a little with distortion.

I never gelled with the Dunlop Crybaby due to horrid tone suck though 20 years ago I didn't know about buffers and kept wondering where all my treble went when it was off.

I've had the Cantrell Wah for two years and love the sweep with its very vocal and sometimes growly character.

I hope this helps.

6. Dominik1986

Dominik1986 Member

From the ones you mentioned I would go with the 535Q. Just another option would be the MC-404 Wah from CAE, this one replaced my 535Q.

7. Stressfest

Stressfest Supporting Member

Well, he who shall not be named used a BBE Ben-Wah as a starting point and I've heard his wahs covering all bases and all bases well. If I wasn't using my Landgraff Wah, that's exactly what I'd be buying.
    For the money, hard to beat... and no, it's not Lord Voldemort, It's even worse! :D

8. LaoTzu

LaoTzu Member

check out a sonuus wahoo and thank me later ;)

9. jimihendrix1117

jimihendrix1117 Member

Get the CFH. Trust me. I used to own that. Now I'm in vintage type wah but the CFH was great. I have a demo of it in my YouTube. I play the same kinda style I bet too.

10. zztomato

zztomato Supporting Member

can be set to either buffered or true bypass.

11. C-4

C-4 Member

Here for now, Europe when I die. Am I dead yet?