Which way does bridge face on '65 ES-335?

Discussion in 'Luthier's Guitar & Bass Technical Discussion' started by Jack K, Mar 6, 2005.

1. Jack K

Jack K Member

I am installing a TonePros ABR type bridge on my 1965 ES-335. I think the screw heads on the bridge are supposed to face the neck. The bridge currently on the guitar (which I think is original) has the screw heads facing the butt end. Of course this could have been flipped many times over the last 40 years. This guitar has a trapeze tailpiece. Does anyone know which way the screws are supposed to face? Thanks.

Jack

2. John Phillips

John Phillips Member

Towards the neck. If you set them facing the tailpiece, the strings often contact the screw heads (more a problem on stoptails than trapeze tailpieces though).

Also, the saddles should have the vertical face towards the neck unless it's impossible to get them far enough back to intonate like that (it sometimes can be on the A and low E). If the vertical face is at the back, the strings tend to snag on the edge and cause tuning trouble, or even breakage. You will have to spring off the wire retainer and turn them round on the screws if they're the wrong way.

[Pet rant]For some reason all Korean bridges seem to come with the lower three saddles on backwards :mad: [/pet rant] :)

3. Jack K

Jack K Member

Thanks, John. I figured that was right, though both Gibsons I own from that era came into my possession with the screws the other way. Neither one has a stop tailpiece so the strings hitting the screws is not a problem. I've seen more than a few with stoptails where the strings do hit the screws, though.
    Thanks also for the tip on which way the saddles should face. The D,A, and low E saddles are all facing the other way on this bridge. Hopefully I can get those strings to intonate properly with the saddles turned around.

Jack

4. Ayan

Ayan Member

On the ABR type tune-o-matic bridges, the screws face the neck. On the more modern Nashville, which your guitar surely has, the opposite.

Gil