Which way should tunematic bridge face?

Discussion in 'Luthier's Guitar & Bass Technical Discussion' started by Denny, May 26, 2008.

1. Denny

Denny Member

Ok - I admit - I've never purchased a NEW Guitar with a tunematic bridge and all the ones I've worked on, I've always put it back on the way it came off. Sometimes the intonation screws went towards the stop tailpiece, other times they went towards the pups. Gibson pix show them the latter way. Does it really make a difference except maybe for the difference in individual saddle heights?

Denny

2. walterw

walterw Gold Supporting Member

look at the saddle slots, and you should see which ones are wider, for the wound strings. on actual gibsons, abr-1s (with the little wire) have the screw heads toward the neck, and nashvilles (wider, no wire) go with the screw heads toward the bridge.

3. Denny

Denny Member

what is the reason for this? I would think that having the saddle screws facing the bridge makes it a tad easier to turn the screws instead of having the pup get in the way? I've been examining my Gibson 335's ABR bridge and find no difference on either side (except for the string slots on the inserts). To me it just seems like better sense to face the screws towards the bridge?

D.

4. walterw

walterw Gold Supporting Member

it's one of those "that's just how it's done" things. plus, the screw heads can hit the strings on an abr-1 if it's put on backwards.

5. Denny

Denny Member

Ok then - I can accept that. Thanks all.

D.

6. Bob V

Bob V Member

Also with the screw heads facing the tailpiece, the pickup is no longer in the way but the strings are. When the string angles down it crosses in front of the screw and it's actually harder to get a screwdriver in there. The main thing is you don't want the strings to hit the screws. The ABR-1 screws are right up at the top, whereas the Nashville types seem to be more out of the way so its safe to have them on the back (Gotoh replacement bridges for example).