which webers for a blackface SR

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by thesweetness, Feb 15, 2008.

1. thesweetness

thesweetness Supporting Member

This might be a tired subject, but after some searching I haven't quite come to a decision just yet.

I scored a 67 blackface super reverb at a great price, and i want to replace the speakers with webers. Im thinking two alnico and two ceramics. But i have no idea as to how to gauge the wattage of the speakers to the amp. Anyone have any recommendations? If it helps, clean is my thing but some breakup is always welcomed.

2. pula58

pula58 Silver Supporting Member

I asked CJ at Weber for a recomendation for my 2x10 Vibrolux reverb. He said it was generally agreed upon that a 10A125 (30W) and 10F150 (25W) was the ticket, as follows:

"The overwhelming choice for the VR is the combination of 10F150-8-25w, and 10A125-8-30w. this give you the tight, solid low end from the 10F150 but the smooth alnico compression from the 10A125."

So, I got those speakers and I like them. They have a little "give", i.e., touch sensitive breakup at reasonable (to me) volumes. I tried the eminence combination of a Rajin Cajun and Copperhead but felt it was to clean, too "in your face."

Now, I realize the Super reverb is not the same as a VR, but, they are close (35W vs 40W) in wattage and basic sound. So, maybe you'd like that speaker combination. Unfortunately with speakers, and everything else (!), yo uhave to try this and that to finally arrive at a good tone. Good luck to you!

P.

3. JDJ

JDJ Member

Email Ted. He got back to me the same day when I did so.

4. mountain blues

mountain blues Member

I have the Weber P10Q (10A125) on top and the C10Q (10F125) on the bottom in my Uncle Spot Super.

It is a gorgeous 3D tone that can handle the full frequency spectrum very well. If I needed a lot more bass I'd get the C10N (10F150) but for my style the C10Q's already have a rich, tight bass response.

Great, great setup for a Super.

5. thesweetness

thesweetness Supporting Member

whats the difference between a 25w vs a 50w speaker in a 40w super?