which will break up sooner into a '57 Twin, a McCarty or a '54 Goldtop

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by pedalcr8z, Jan 18, 2008.

1. pedalcr8z

pedalcr8z Supporting Member

........thanks all!

2. Phil M

Phil M Member

I think if the McCarty's got humbuckers and the GT has stock P-90s, the McCarty.

3. WordMan

WordMan Member

Wouldn't it depend on the output of the pickups? If a P-90 is hotter than a humbucker, then the Goldtop. If the 'buckers are hotter, then the McCarty...

More importantly: what tone are you looking for? A P-90 breaking up sounds different than a humbucker. That's what I would focus on.

4. pedalcr8z

pedalcr8z Supporting Member

I want something to compliment my Nocaster but not sound like it. I accomplish that already with the McCarty and it certainly breaks up FAR sooner than the Nocaster which is exactly what I don't want to lose as the Nocaster doesn't break up until the '57 is about on 8 volumewise versus 4-5 with the McCarty. I'm simply curious if the Goldtop's P-90's have more or less gain than the standard McCarty's buckers........thanks.

5. Zero Point

Zero Point Member

I'd suggest some kinda overdrive for the tweed twin amp anyway. I mean the thing has a really low sag and is super crisp and fast responding. You'll have to crank it really loud to get the tubes to overdrive. The Twin Amp is a sweet clean amp :)

David Gilmour used a '56 Tweed Twin Amp on his latest cd. The intro cut "Castellorizon" is a strat into a demeter compulator + BK Butler Tube Driver into the '56. And it's the most singing and sweet tone I have heard in a long time.

-ZP