Which would you add?(BJF)

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by mattmccloskey, Mar 22, 2008.

1. mattmccloskey

mattmccloskey Supporting Member

Ok, I am having a tough time deciding which BJF/MP pedal to round out my pedal-board.
    At this time I have a LGW and an EGDM. I am torn between the Dyna-red, the Mighty-red, or the Sky-Blue (I know the sky blue is called an OD but get the impression it gets lots of dist. if desired).
    Obviously the LGW and EGDM can cover a lot of ground, particularly for low to medium gain sounds, bluesy tones, etc.
    With that in mind I would be using the 3rd for mostly high gain rock stuff. I am in a group that does a broad range of material, and is adding things like VH and Journey to the sets as "crowd pleasers".
    My usual sounds are more vintage overdrive textures, but now I could use a high-octane distortion, but I don't want it to sound too scooped; I am playing into a carr vincent set clean with an Anderson T, M-series pickups. Definitely want marshall type vibe, and prefer the BJF designs.
    What would you add - Dyna-red, Mighty-red, or sky-blue?

2. Rock72

Rock72 Member

Hi have the Honey Bee, the Dyna Red Distortion, and received today the Emerald Green DM. To me they cover three ranges well: low gain (BH), medium gain (EGDM) and more to high gain (DRD).

I haven't tried the LGW nor the Sky Blue, but I think you will add sonically to what you already have by considering the BJF DRD. It is truly a great pedal.

3. jivebaby

jivebaby Member

Not sure about the sky blue but for marshall sounds you want the dyna red or the Mighty Red. The pink purple fuzz may also fit the bill.

Mike

4. mattmccloskey

I had a pink purple fuzz a couple years back and didn't keep it. It was a great fuzz but still a little too, well, 'fuzz' for me. (although much more well-behaved than the typical fuzz).
    I suppose to some extent it is between the MRD and DRD. On the MRD, it is available immediately and less money (still not cheap!) The clips on the thesegoto11 site sound great.
    On the other hand, the dyna-red is more expensive and/or takes longer to get, but is likely more versatile and dynamic. (?)

5. jpagey

jpagey Supporting Member

I had a MRD, I bought it used in the Emporium. I was the 3rd owner. The guy I sold it to liked it. If you read the reviews of the MRD from the Tourbox, you might gather it is more of a specialty distortion pedal than the Dyna Red.

6. nibus

nibus Supporting Member

I have a Dyna Red and it really is not a scooped sound. It has a lot of upper mids.

7. Cobra

Cobra Supporting Member

The LGW into DRD is a thing of beauty, as long as you don't overcook your levels... Big huge arena rock tones!
    Sometimes I use an MDEQ to suck some mids out for that more modern, big hair, aluminum foil chaps sound...

8. gregory49

gregory49 Member

Don't do MP go for BJF the resale will be higher down the road... If you choose one of the three i would recomend the DRD.

9. SunnyRollins

SunnyRollins Member

10. BluePowder

BluePowder Member

I too would recommend the DRD, a very versatile pedal, great for the high gain tones. Get it and you'll never look back on another gain pedal!

11. mattmccloskey

this is confirming my instinct to get the Dyna-red. I like the idea of plenty of gain but with dynamics and clarity.
    Ok, so who has one to sell ?!!

12. BluePowder

BluePowder Member

That's the tough part bro!

There are a couple which come up in the emporium from time to time, but they are very expensive, probably in the range of 400-600!

I remember the good old days when I purchased mine for about USD$280 :D

13. nibus

nibus Supporting Member

The DRD is amazing but i wish it had more low-mids. It really is more of a distortion pedal, and not as much of a "JCM800 in a box". What it does exceptionally well is it retains so much clarity, and is quiet as well.

14. Jagsound

Jagsound Member

I have both the DRD and MRD and the DRD has a lot more clarity, that is, you pretty much get great clarity throughout the range of the gain control. In fact the lower gain sounds on the DRD are really good. I find the MRD needs to be giving a fair bit of gain (above half) or you can run out of treble on lower gain settings with single coils. But if you want it for high gain sounds then that's no problem.

The MRD is a great pedal for single coils compared to the DRD because it isn't too trebly, where the DRD can be. However, you can turn down the treble on the DRD no problem and still keep all that clarity. I think the MRD might have slightly more gain than the DRD.

In the end the DRD is the more versatile pedal, especially if you use humbuckers or some other higher output pickups. I'm using a Fender Jag which basically has strat type pickups with a 1 meg ohm pot so it is quite trebly, and the MRD is the better match for it, but the clarity of the DRD is very addictive!

Start with the DRD and if it doesn't work out you can easily sell it and get a MRD.

Good luck!

15. Jagsound

Jagsound Member

I agree - what guitar are you using?

16. guitarcrazy2004

guitarcrazy2004 Member

I would have to agree with jagsound............i have had both!!!

17. nibus

nibus Supporting Member

I use humbuckers exclusively - a les Paul and a custom guitar with Rio Grande Pickups.

18. Seegs

Seegs Member

I would add a PGC it was made for the LGW;)...that set for a higher comp.setting into an LGW would give you a nice singing...articulate higher gain sound...plus it can be used for other things as well...

Chow,
    Seegs

19. Craise

Craise Member

DRD might be the way to go...
    70's Marshall sounds with just the DRD...
    but stack the DRD with your LGW and you in 80's Iron Maiden zone for sure...(into 90's metal too...)
    With the LGW tone knob you can get lots of 80's Marshall colors imho...
    But you could also Stack your EGDM and LGW and get some killer High gain tones.... (LGW>EGDM=Da Green Tone.)
    If you like Hi-Gain Fuzz...you might check out a Candy Apple Fuzz...(which you could also stack with egdm or lgw for fuzzy hi-gain goodness!
    Just some thoughts!
    good Luck!
    ;-)

20. mattmccloskey

Cool, I look forward to stacking, as I have a DRD on the way!