Which would you choose and why: Muddy Tele or a new American Standard?

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by AnsonDrubner1, Mar 20, 2008.

1. AnsonDrubner1

AnsonDrubner1 Member

[FONT=Verdana, Arial]I know this type of question probably comes up a lot, but I could use some input...

I'm in the market for my first Telecaster in a lot of years. I currently have an American Series Strat, which I love. But ever since I've been without a Tele, I've been missing it.

I'm having a hard time deciding between a new American Standard Tele I played the other day and a Muddy Waters Tele (which I haven't had the opportunity to play).

I'm not hung up on where they're made (the Muddy is MIM). I'm just looking for a basic, nice sounding Tele (preferably with lower output pickups). I noticed the specs on the American Deluxe Tele lists the bridge SCN pup at being 13.8k

I'll primarily be playing semi-overdriven stuff along the lines of the Stones, Tom Petty, with a little clean, twangy country stuff thrown in for good measure.

Does anyone have experience with either or both the new American Standard Tele and/or the Muddy Tele?
    [/FONT]

2. Jellecaster

Jellecaster Member

I haven't played the Muddy, but.... I have a collection of around thirty Teles, from the Baja up to a bunch of Custom Shop models and the new American Standard is quickly becoming my main guitar. Mine is crimson transparent, which means that the body is made of ash and I have a maple fretboard. The feel of the neck is just awesome and there is something about the sound. I can't put my finger on it, but it is just a great guitar.

3. jackaroo

jackaroo Member

I like the Muddy- good bang for the buck. But really it boils down to the particular guitar right? On paper though, the Muddy has what I look for in a tele, namely the right 3 barrel bridge and the ashtray. Those things really give the tele it's sound IMO.

Best of luck

Jack

4. AnsonDrubner1

AnsonDrubner1 Member

So the Muddy can do the twang thing? The reason I'm considering it (without having played it) is because it looks great on paper...3 barrel bridge, ash body, etc. I've heard they ship with rather high action. Any problem getting it low?

5. gkoelling

gkoelling Member

Of those two guitars I'd take the Muddy. I have a real hard time accepting Strat saddles on a Tele.

No Thanks :nono

6. AshyLarry

AshyLarry Member

I've had my Muddy for 6 years now and play it everyday. No matter what else I play I'm always happy when I grab the mw.

7. jackaroo

jackaroo Member

The ones I've played are really pretty good. I've had no issues once a tech/ myself gave it a good going over. It's a budget instrument that, if you get a good one, and set it up nicely, can keep up with much more expensive guitars tonally.

The PUs can be swapped, and fretwork can be done/improved, knobs switched etc...but the main ingredients for a good tele are all there. I do like maple board teles a bit more, but jeez- for the $ the Muddy is a happening little critter. It's a real tele with amp knobs.

Twang on-

J

8. neastguy

neastguy Supporting Member

let me just say this.... I love my muddy.... its the guitar I always reach for.... it just feels right IMO... but play one if you can...

9. Johnnytone

Johnnytone Supporting Member

IMNSHO, the new AS Teles are about as far away from a Tele as you can get.

I'd go Muddy or Classis series.

10. ReddRanger

ReddRanger Member

I had a hard time accpeting that as well until I played a new Standard. They're actually pretty cool. Certainly better than the previous version, IMO.

11. FloridaSam

FloridaSam Member

Another vote for the Muddy. I've played a few and some ranked up there with the best of the best tele wise.

12. Jellecaster

Jellecaster Member

Have you actually played one? I don't ask to pick a fight, but I've seen a LOT of people pan these guitars, and the vast majority haven't even picked one up!

The Muddy is probably a great guitar - I've never played one. But I own a BUNCH of Teles and the new American Standard can hold its own with any of them.

13. bluesrules

bluesrules Member

I have 4 tele's (MIM) and a G&L ASAT Classic (USA).

My Muddy Waters Tele has the best vintage tone of all of 'em!! The neck is a real "C" instead of a Modern "C", therefore a bit thicker. Now I wish all my tele's neck were like this!

Mind you I had bought it used and had to do alot a work on shimming the neck just right to prevent fret buzz, but alas I'd never sell it. The stock pickups are almost worth the price alone, they just have that tone I love! The Muddy and the G&L are the only guitars I have kept the stock pup's in.

I also upgraded to compensated brass saddle's just cuz I'm a intonation freak. Good luck getting a Tele. Your ear will tell ya which one is right.