Which would you favor?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by arpegadream, Oct 16, 2019.

1. arpegadream

arpegadream Member

I can't right now, but I will be getting a used amp, and want something around the wattage and size of either of these:

A mustang 2 speaker amp

Or a

Boss Katana

If I continue to redevelop my skills and take on jazz along with hard rock and prog, what would I choose. I think the 'stang because more speakers and older. Price is less too.

But this is just a question I might not act on yet.

And the previous advice of seeking a Hot Rod Deville appeals the most to me, if budget/timing/expediency comes to play.

2. Russ73

Russ73 Member

I played the new Katana today it was fun, I have the Mk1 in the 50 watt for practice, very easy to use and you can go from clean to mean easily, its not a tube amp but because I live in an apt it gets the most play time.....Mustangs are cool as well....are you looking for mostly clean or dirt?

3. arpegadream

arpegadream Member

Mostly clean I think, 60/40. And I'll use pedals. Don't care about amp effects, I'd rather that no amp had them frankly, well, except vibrato and reverb. What about the stock speakers on them. What about pairing an Analogman Chorus and a Fuzz Face clone at other times...

4. easyed

easyed Supporting Member

Where are you located? What's your budget?

I'll guess that you don't reside in the USA. Next guess is that you have a limited budget and the market in your locale is limited. The Fender Pro Jr. is the first amp I would recommend.

The Pro Jr. has very good volume and reasonably good headroom for a tube amp at its price.

Vaibhav Joshi likes this.
  5. muzishun

muzishun Member

I like both, but a 2x12 is the way to go.

6. Humble Texan Fan

Humble Texan Fan Member

Mostly clean and pedals I don't really see the point with an emulator. You'd be paying for frills you never get to use, in which case it's money better spent on an all valve amp or something like the Quilter.

7. C-4

C-4 Member

I love Red Bank, NJ! Florida now Europe later
    I grew up learning to play 1940's style jazz and swing. Back then, the jazz amp was an Ampeg.
    HOWEVER!, knowing what I know now, I would have played Marshall amps for both clean and dirt.

I just prefer the sound of Marshall for both types of tones, and have for many years now.

A flexible Marshall would be a Mini Jubilee head and your choice of speaker cabs and speakers.
    If you are planning to stay in the digital realm, I cannot make a suggestion. Sorry. :(

But!, good hunting. :)

Kilometers Davis likes this.
  8. arpegadream

arpegadream Member

I'm in CT, USA. Why did you think otherwise?

9. Vaibhav Joshi

Vaibhav Joshi Member

I have tried a 2 speaker Mustang (not sure which revision), at jam volumes with pedals.
    It's ok but a little harsh sounding. And I would also prefer 2 speakers although better to have 2 separate cabinets for a wider spread.
    If you're thinking of playing at home, I would go for 2 SS amps or 2 cabinets. There is a big difference in the sound.
    That said I agree, if you're playing through pedals, why not get a clean tube amp from the used market.
    I'll suggest the Ibanez TSA15 (usable vol/ great BF Fender tones). Shouldn't cost much more than these options.
    Even with pedals, there is a difference in the harmonics & a little bit in the feel.
    I tried my pedals through a tube amp at a store & play with SS amps at home.

Also, if I were in the USA, I'd probably be getting everything from the used market.

Humble Texan Fan likes this.