Which would you rather have for low volume blues into a Fender Deluxe style amp?

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by DJLantz444, Jul 19, 2006.

1. DJLantz444

DJLantz444 Senior Member

Strat - Stock Pickups
    Lovepedal Eternity

OR

Strat - Upgraded Pickups
    Banzai Cold Fusion

2. DJLantz444

DJLantz444 Senior Member

Well, tell me what you think, but here is the dilemma. I play low volume blues gigs and I practice with a Fender Deluxe style amp, and at low volumes, and Eternity doesn't sound good with the neck pickup of my amp. The Cleans of the amp are fantastic, but as soon as I turn on the Eternity, it muds up. When I turn up my amp louder, it sounds fantastic, but I can rarely do that.

Also, I think that in general the Eternity might be a bit high gain for my taste.

Do you think the Cold Fusion and some nicer pickups would suit me better?

3. woude

woude Member

depends. what are the stock pickups? ceramic or alnico? I would always upgrade the ceramics, but I've never heard bad sounding alnico pickups... In the case of alnicos I would take the eternity.

4. erksin

erksin Member

Do you already have the Cold Fusion?

For low volume stuff, I think a good EQ is an absolute necessity now - you might look into one before changing/selling anything else...

5. DJLantz444

DJLantz444 Senior Member

Well it's a '95 Mexican. Plays great, I"m just wondering if the pickups could be changed.

6. DJLantz444

DJLantz444 Senior Member

No, I don't have a Cold Fusion. But they SOUND like what I need.
    I like to keep a simple setup..

Guitar > Boost > Amp

I suppose I could keep an EQ as a boost but I'd be more inclined to leave it on all the time. I don't use a pedalboard so that is just another thing to lug to a gig.

I should've clarified that I'll be using a clean sound and then using either the Eternity or the Cold Fusion for a boost. The sound I'm going for is sort of like.. a semi clean lead sound. I hate to use the stereotypical example, but thing of SRV. You can hear his clean but it has enough breakup for a lead sound. I think I'd miss the Eternity for the great bridge pickup sounds it could give (even at low volumes), but to be honest, with the RAW control on the amp I can get pretty close to the E for that kind of rock sound. Maybe with a boost like the cold fusion I'd be there.

So now that you read this.. do you still think an EQ is essential? Or does this change your opinion on what I need. If I was to get an EQ, it'd be something cheap, like the Dano. I don't think I could bring myself to spend $150 or whatever the Antelope costs.

7. erksin

erksin Member

Well, I dunno - having the ability to clean up at the guitar is one benefit of using a good EQ/Boost. You could just leave it on all the time for your live stuff - pretty simple. An EQ for your home rig is really an eye-opening experience, IMO - all you have to do is listen to any of Fatback's clips to hear what I'm talking about.

8. DJLantz444

DJLantz444 Senior Member

I don't know how good I'd be at using the EQ to my advantage. I'd probably make things worse.

I was reading about the Klon, and they say that your amp has to be really loud for it to sound good. If the Cold Fusion is similar, then I don't know if it's for me. However it seems like most pedals will be like that.

I think the problem with the E is actually that it's so thick. Because of that it is great at high volumes, but it muds up with the low treble input of the neck pickup at low volumes. With the middle pickup or the bridge pickup it's great.. it's just not the sound I'm looking for.

I just AB'd my Eternity and the Raw control on the amp... and the Raw control at about 9/12 is very similar to what the Eternity does to the amp, but it sounds better at low volumes. So I don't think I'll miss anything.. If I feel like I miss the Eternity I can just turn up the raw and switch to the bridge pickup.

So now the question..
    Cold Fusion or EQ?

Both would be ideal, but I won't get enough money from the E for that and pickups.

9. erksin

erksin Member

Well, do you need a pedal for live stuff then? If not, your decision gets a lot more simple IMO. Always hard for me to still be into a guitar once I've decided to swap the pickups - if you think they should go, make that the priority. The E might sound perfect with new pups installed - you won't know until you try...

If you want a recommendation for a killer low-volume OD for home use - try a MI Audio Blue Boy or BB Deluxe. My favorite all-around low/mid gainer at low volume.

10. endo23

endo23 Member

DJ,

Have you switched chips in your Eternity yet? Cause I traded out the stock chip for the JR4559 and it'll do SRV to a T. Try it before you unload the pedal...

11. DJLantz444

DJLantz444 Senior Member

Uh.. Too late.

I don't feel like taking a pedal worth this much anyway. And it's fragile..look what I did to it already (in spam thread). For what I use a pedal for I can have something worth 1/2.. 1/3 of it's price and do the job the same or better. If I was a rock player I'd keep the Eternity, no doubt. It's a great lead pedal for loud volumes, especially with the bridge pickup. However I just need a low gain OD and that's it.

12. endo23

endo23 Member

13. pullagnm

pullagnm Member

What color was your Eternity?

14. DJLantz444

DJLantz444 Senior Member

Burst.

But now it's Burst with white chips. :(

15. pullagnm

pullagnm Member

I didn't know that there was different versions until after I bought my E. From all I read I assumed that it was a very good low gain all the way to distortion. Now I know it depends on the version you have. FWIW I ding mine. I run it into a DRRI and it has amazing tones.

16. DJLantz444

DJLantz444 Senior Member

So far I'm looking at three pedals for that transparent clean/drive tone..

Skreddy Screwdriver
    Liquid Sunshine
    Cold Fusion

I'm not sure if I"m on the right track or not, let me know.

17. pullagnm

pullagnm Member

I would check out a Timmy if you haven't already. A very transperent low gain boost. It has a very nice EQ on it.

18. DJLantz444

DJLantz444 Senior Member

I have, and something about it wasn't what I am looking for. :puh :NUTS

I'm going to drive myself crazy here.

19. pullagnm

pullagnm Member

I hope you find the right one. I know I went through a lot of pedals to find the ones I use now. The main pedal board I use has Landgraff DO-Eternity-Timmy-Zendrive for different degrees of gain. And when I don't use the pedal board a will take the Hot Cake, TS-9, and an original RAT

20. DJLantz444

DJLantz444 Senior Member

I think I'd like a Zendrive but it's too much cash. I'm on the King of Tone waiting list, but I just got on it. That might be what I'm looking for.

However I can't afford those used as I said.