Which Would You Rather: VHT D60, Budda SD or Quickrod

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by Junk Yard Dog, Jan 9, 2008.

1. Junk Yard Dog

Junk Yard Dog Member

I'm able to finance something different than my Voodoo Deluxe DSL.

I'm mainly a hard rock guy who likes high gain capability, but wants a good clean for my pedals. My style is Slash meets Schon meets Gilmour. I play a lot of Kravitz, Crowes, GNR, Foo, COC, and anything hair metal. I don't do anything that's ubermetal or hyper saturated.

I use the following pedals: Barber Trifecta, Boss DD-3 delay (in the loop), DOD chorus, Keeley SD-1, Boss Tuner, MXR 10-Band (in the loop), Budda Bud-wah and a Marshall 4x12 with G12T-75's and WGS Vet30's.

I was hell bent on the QR for a long time, but heard more and more people selling or not liking something about it in several ways (bright, loud), so I began looking at others.

The Budda Superdrive and VHT D60 were in my price range and I liked the clips I've heard. I should also mention that on my DSL I NEVER channel switch. I always just roll off the volume of my guitar and get the clean I need. I've only recently used the Green Channel on it with my Keeley SD-1, and it's great, but I'm just ready for a change.

I should also mention that I like using delay in my effects loop, but if the amp is good enough, I'm not worried about an effect like that in front. I don't use chorus much.

My budget is around $1800.

If anyone has experience playing one or all three, chime in. Would love some feedback, before I get out to demo the Budda and VHT.

JYD

2. ecbluesman54

ecbluesman54 Member

The only one I have played in your list is the Budda. The SD 45 may be right for you. I had the head with a 2x12 cab, and it sounded huge. I downsized, and picked up a SD 18 1x12. Many people will also agree that Budda has the best customer service going.
    Good luck.

3. Plague Dog

Plague Dog Member

I haven't played the VHT but I can vouch for the Budda. I like the SD30.

4. mojoslide

mojoslide Member

Get the Budda and you'll be able to elminate some of your pedals too!

I had a DSL before and it was a flat, thin, tinny sounding amp compared to my Budda (especially on the lead channel). The DSL green channel is okay but limited and kind of lifeless unless cranked real loud. Buddas have a great master volume and you can get hard rock tones easily from them. I'd say an SD30 or more probably an SD45 for the tones you want.

5. Junk Yard Dog

Junk Yard Dog Member

Cool...Thanks for the responses so far!

I should mention that I like to play a little Tool and Deftones or Pantera once in a while, so that has me leaning toward the Deliverance in that category, but the Budda has such a great sound as well.

6. Plague Dog

Plague Dog Member

I nail "Sober" to the wall with my Budda. I've never played a better amp for drop D, Drop C or even dropped all the way to B for Korn or Slipknot.

7. Thwap

Thwap Member

We play very similar styles..:AOK

I've gotten rid of my Shiva, and was strongly considering getting another...until I checked out the Budda SD30.

It's perfect for this stuff, definitely my next purchase. Great grind, but not mushy, really good mv, and pretty decent cleans, but I don't live in the cleans anyway, so it's just a bonus.

8. Junk Yard Dog

Junk Yard Dog Member

How does a Budda Sound with V30's?

Also, I love the clips on youtube b/c they're cleaner without production, but all the dudes are playing is classic rock (which is OK), but I'd like to hear some dirtier, nastier rock out of the Budda.

9. mojoslide

mojoslide Member

Buddas sound great with V30s IMO...However that combo is a little more classic rock sounding to my ears (which is why I like them). I think Budda's own speakers (the Phat 12s) would sound really good for heavier tones as they have a modern edge to them. Either way, you'll be good to go.

All Buddas do hard rock tones, but I think the Sd45 would really nail that best (of course the SD80 would probably be great too). But I still really like my SD30 and get a variety of heavy tones along with decent cleans and superb vintage rock sounds. Of course your ears may hear things differently, so go and check them out in person if you can.

10. Phil M

Phil M Supporting Member

I hear complaints about just about every amp out there, so unless you've played one yourself, I wouldn't rule out the Quickrod.

Your list of artists seems ripe for the QR and I play some similar stuff. It may be a little tight and not squishy enough for the Crowes and Kravitz, but that is not a given and it can certainly get you close. GNR, Foo, COC and hair metal would be perfect.

Do you like the hot-rodded Marshall sound? Do you play live or with a drummer? Are you able to control your sound under high volume? If yes to these, I think the QR could still be in the running.

11. sickboy79

sickboy79 Member

Hands down the Budda, IMO. Superdrive 30 or 45 would fit the bill nicely.

12. Junk Yard Dog

Junk Yard Dog Member

As many votes for the Budda as there are for the VHT on HC, but here the Budda's kickin' ashe!

13. oacikgoz

oacikgoz Member

Budda all the way... 18 and 30 versions are darker, 45 and 80 are brighter... I own the 18 combo and it is a LOUD 18 watts, with great clean headroom for an 18 watter.

For some reason, people prefer 18 over 30. I never got to try 30 so I can't comment on that. If you like very bright amps I would stay away from these two and go for 45. If you like the tone a little darker (thanks to EL84s), 18-30 are great LOUD amps.

Budda has decent Voxy cleans and thick, creamy overdrive. I can play blues/classic rock and I can easily get into metal territory tweaking the EQ and drive. You will not be disappointed.

Jeff Bober from Budda is the very helpful and he's a great guy to talk to. He knows what he's doing and he takes his time to answer all questions you might wanna ask him. Budda has a great customer service.

14. oacikgoz

oacikgoz Member

And one more thing... Budda's stock speakers are excellent matches for these amps! The company indicated that they tried a hell lot of speakers and finally decided that Phat 12s are the best sounding ones in Budda amps. They are really phat and you need to go easy on bass while setting eq. But you get booming basses if you want to dial in more bass.

15. Junk Yard Dog

Junk Yard Dog Member

I need something LOUD, but not deafening, as most clubs will require mic'd amps.

I like a good balance: not too dark, not too bright.

Honestly, I like the VHT clips that I've heard better than the Budda. The Budda clips that I hear that are produced all sound great. The more raw clips in youtube and such render the Deliverance more dynamic. So I'm still alittle torn.

I just need to get out and play them both. I think I can find a Budda in Dallas easier than a VHT.

16. Junk Yard Dog

Junk Yard Dog Member

QR is definitely still in the running, but these other two just caught my attention recently.

17. oacikgoz

oacikgoz Member

Musictoyz has Budda SD18 combo for 1200 something... that's a great deal....

Sorry man I don't know much about VHT. I think you should look at reviews on harmony central. Budda has better reviews.

Of course it's your call after all.

The other amps that I would look at are Orange amps. IMO they produce terrific amps with a unique tone. They have one of the most natural sounding overdrives I've ever heard. Rockerverbs are great. Rocker is more vintage sounding. (I personally like Rocker more). If you use overdrive pedals you should stay away from Orange, they don't take these pedals very well.

Quickrods are TIGHT amps. For what you are describing, it would go well with metal and shred guitar.

If you like Slash, you can never go wrong with a Budda SD. It's like it's modeled after JCM Jubilee (which Slash uses), but it is less muddy and more complex/expressive. For Gilmour you need sparkling cleans. Well, Budda's rhythm channel with bright switch on will deliver that.

About the clips over youtube: I would never rely on them. For example, almost every youtube clip with an Orange Rocker 30 sounded weird/mushy/dark. I was pleasantly surprised when I actually played one myself. I think professionally recorded clips would give you a much better idea of what the amp is capable of.

18. freaksho

freaksho Member

i am currently trying out an SD45 for a few weeks. i agree that the tones are spot on for you because i seek many of the same. but there are two things you should keep in mind:

1. it's loud. VERY loud. an attenuator is a must if you need to get the master over 0.5 with any decent amount of gain dialed in. or at least a new MV pot with a different taper. (but it sounds a bit dull on the lowest MV settings, like any tube amp)

2. i am having some trouble quickly dialing in balanced volume clean and gain tones between channels. due to the shared MV, a change in one influences the other so it's hard to control IMO. (but people say there are fairly simple mods to add another pot to account for this.)

i really love the tones in this amp but the volume and control arrangement are two things that have me seeking a used Shiva instead.

19. PFCG

PFCG Member

im more towards the side of the splawn because i like it more personally, but the budda is a great amp! very cool unique sound.

20. Junk Yard Dog

Junk Yard Dog Member

I never have my DSL up past 4 (10:30)...It's way LOUD. I'd rather not have to mess with an attenuator...But I think the 45 is what I'm after in a Budda.

I'm looking for the best of all worlds.

The only thing I can do is go out and FEEL these amps with my fiddles.

Problem is, no one is carrying a VHT in the Dallas area that I know of.

Splawn neither.