Which wraparound bridge for les paul jr?

Discussion in 'Luthier's Guitar & Bass Technical Discussion' started by jbert, Jan 30, 2008.

1. jbert

jbert Member

i'm doctoring a limited edition epiphone les paul jr '57 reissue(whew!). any ideas as to who would be the best choice for a wraparound bridge? it must have individual saddle adjustments as well as fit in the existing studs. i've already put in a lollar p-90 as well as rs pots. thanks folks.

2. jtx

jtx Member

3. blueguitar

blueguitar Member

I kind of like the Wilkinson with the adjustable saddles on the BGDA. This wrap around has the lowest profile of the adjustables I've seen and should work great even if the guitar has a marginal neck set. The higher profile Baddass may turn your guitar into nothing more than a slide setup. Check your specifics before deciding.

4. walterw

walterw Gold Supporting Member

5. Mike9

Mike9 Supporting Member

6. JohnSS

JohnSS Member

I have a Badass on my Les Paul DC Jr. I hear very good things about Wilkinson hardware, though, so it's definitely worth considering as an alternative.

7. Bob V

Bob V Member

TonePros makes a wraparound as well.

8. Jack Briggs

Jack Briggs Member

You could quit messing around and put the best on there - Pigtail. Get the Pigtail studs too. The Pigtail studs are all steel (inserts too) and the threads are the tightest you'll find anywhere. No need for locking mechanisms when the threads are that tight!

9. Dana Olsen

Dana Olsen Gold Supporting Member

Hey Mike9 - IMHO, the Badass style bridge is great for intonation, but it aint' right for tone. There are WAY too many moving parts in it, and it's brass. Doesn't sound bad per se, but it doesn't sound like a LP Junior either.

I'm with Jack on this one - quit messing around and buy the best - Pigtail. The weight's right, and the tone's right. Or try Walter's sugestion, very good, less money.

On reread, the OP says he needs individually adjustable saddles. Respectfully, this defeats the whole purpose of a stud tailpiece design, IMHO. That said, I think that if you NEED individually adjustable saddles, the Badass Style is your only real choice. There are studs that offer a more sharply defined topshape with some compensation. The you adjust string guges to get it to intonate well. They work pretty well in my experience.

Blueguitar makes a strong point too - check your neck angle to make sure you have the room for a taller than stock Badass bridge as it could put the action so high that you could only use the guitar for slide.

The good news is that if you don't like the Badass, you can change back and sell it. Totally reversible. I have a Tonepros on a rebuilt '60 Junior. Sounds good, works good, but the Pigtail sounds better IMHO. I applaud your efforts to upgrade the sound of you Epi LP Jr., but IMHO, using an intonatable tailpiece is gonna move you away from LP Junior magic tone.

Dana O.

10. EADGBE

EADGBE Member

If the Schaller 455 series would fit that's what I'd go with. Other than that the Leo Quan.

11. guitarman_1

guitarman_1 Silver Supporting Member

Nothing matches the pigtail for tone and craftmanship.The best there is.

12. mkolesa@mac.com

mkolesa@mac.com Member

i just put the pigtail in my vos lp special and i'm really impressed... amazing tone and sustain out of that thing! if you can't swing the cost i'd seriously consider a lower cost alternative; a place like allparts has cheaper lightweight knock-offs:

http://www.allparts.com/store/tailpieces-stop-tailpieces-tp-3407-001,Product.asp

it won't be the same but i'm sure it'll be better than what came standard on the epi. and no offense but are you sure you need individual string intonation? i'm really impressed with how well the pigtail does with intonation, and as i said the tone and sustain are to die for! good luck!

13. Jack Briggs

Jack Briggs Member

This is the one I meant:

[​IMG]

14. teleking36

teleking36 Supporting Member

I'm interested in Pigtail's 50s wrap tailpiece for my LP Junior. How's the intonation on this compared to other non-compensated models?

15. Mike9

Mike9 Supporting Member