Which Z amp is best for blues? Z28, Ghia or Maz 18 JR NR

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by dewman, Jan 30, 2006.

1. dewman

dewman Gold Supporting Member

Tossing around the idea of a lower wattage amp and was looking at the Dr. Z Carmen Ghia, Maz 18 JR NR or the Z28 amps. Which Z is best for blues and some blues-rock and matches well with a strat and gibson 335?

Which speaker combos too should I consider?? 1x12, 2x10, 2x12, Z cabs versus others, open backed versus closed?

Which ones take pedals well, which ones dont...

Portability, great sound at low and high volumes are key..

2. GuitarBrent

GuitarBrent Member

Of the ones you listed, I'd take the Z28 for blues, but I actually prefer the Rt 66 myself. Either one will get you there.

3. AJ Love

AJ Love Senior Member

4. dewman

dewman Gold Supporting Member

Hey guys, I had a Route 66. Sold it before Xmas. Just too much amp. Great amp for blues or anything else but way way louder than I needed. I wanted something more grab and go for smaller places...

5. AJ Love

AJ Love Senior Member

yeah all the Z amps are pretty loud. the Ghias are nice and take pedals well

6. Serious Poo

Serious Poo Armchair Rocket Scientist Graffiti Existentialist Gold Supporting Member

My #1 amp is a Route 66, and I've also owned a Ghia. They are both MONSTER amps once you learn how the EQ works. They both have very unique tone stacks, and are amazingly responsive and toneful if you set them correctly. A Ghia with a 2x12 should be plenty loud enough for a small club.

7. riffmeister

riffmeister Gold Supporting Member

The Maz 18 is the only one of the three you listed which has a MV. That and the fact that it has a full EQ section makes it the most versatile, which might be important if you are wanting to use different guitars.

BTW I've owned a Maz 18 NR 2x12 and a Z28 1x12. Both are fantastic amps for blues and rock music!

8. Crazy Carl

Crazy Carl Member

A bud has a Maz Jr 2x12 & it's an INCREDIBLE sounding amp for blues. With a Fulldrive & Keeley Comp in front of it, it will also crunch like mad.

9. Calloway

Calloway Supporting Member

My favorite Z's are the Maz's, and if you want low volume I'd say the 18 would get you there, and still be plenty loud. They are really cool amps that really sound great on their own, but do respond well to pedals.

10. Hipster Dofus

Hipster Dofus Member

My maz head and a z best cab are still really loud for 18 w. It stays very clean with a strat, even with the amp on near max. Great for blues. If you need verb, and more eq options the the maz is it. The Z28 is a great blues amp as well, just less knobs...

11. OldSchool

OldSchool Senior Member

+2 The R66 is the ultimate Blues amp IMO........:AOK

12. jerseydrew

jerseydrew Member

13. paddywhack

paddywhack Silver Supporting Member

...i've owned all three plus a Rt 66 and i'm a Ghia fan....i find the most satisfying tones with the least amount of fuss with a Ghia...that said, they're all three great Blues amps...the 6V6 based Z-28 is chunky & a bit darker while the EL-84 based Maz and Ghia are crunchy and zingier...Z-28 has the most clean headroom Ghia has the least and all three take pedals well and are suitable for all types of guitars...

14. Mayflower

Mayflower Supporting Member

The low powered Z's would be my choice for blues if you want the early blues amp breakup. A Keely Comp in the front end of a Ghia or Maz Jr. would be my choice. Maybe use a Tube Screamer with the drive almost off and the level up as a boost to slam the front-end for solo's.
    Got a good report on the new Stingray from my bud in Nashville over the phone last night. He said it sounds REALLY Vox like. It had Blues in it.
    Should be a good seller, but not my first choice for a blue gig.