• New Sponsor: ShipNerd, Ship Your Gear with Us... for less! Click Here.

Which zoom pedalboard?

link78

Hi to all and thanks for your help :)

I'm tryng to choose a zoom pedalboard only for fun at home but i feel confused between G3/G3x/G5 and G3n/G3xn/G5n models.

Money is not a problem but, for my pourposes:
1. is it worth buying a model of the "new" series? I've read a lot of negative reviews about downgrades on the new pedalboards
2. is it worth buying a G5 (or G5n) instead of a cheaper G3?
3. is it worth buying a version with included expression pedal ("x" ones)?

Thank you again for your help :)

BillBee

I don't have any of the new Gn boards but I do have a G3 and a G5. It is worth getting the X for the exp pedal.

The G series models are nice IMO and I haven't heard any clips of the Gn series that were a OMG difference. The switches on the Gn series look laid out better for actual use (which is why I eventually went to a G5, I learned I needed more switching and an exp pedal).

The plus side is the G3 series used can normally be had for ~$90 and the price for a G3N is supposed to be pretty reasonable too. So you don't have to invest a lot of cash to see which era big boy (5 series) you may want to jump too.

Hope that helps!

MikeRI

I think it depends on what your needs are... For me, mostly a home user, I chose the G3 because e.g. it has lots of great tones, tons of effects and amp modeling, sounds amazing through headphones or powered monitors, it works as a very nice USB 'recording and monitoring' interface (zero latency), has a nice looper looper and a simple but decent sounding drum machine, runs on batteries, is small enough to throw in a bag to take on vacation w/travel guitar, and it's inexpensive. My G3 sits on or under the coffee table most of the time next to a set of ATH50 headphones and a short guitar cord (no power supply; I use rechargeable batteries = no hassle). I use it everyday.

aldridt1

I've got a G5 and I am happy with it. The X pedal is nice because you can use it to fade in up to two extra effects if you run out of switches, and/or use it the fade in an effect or two without having to go into the stomp box mode. The G5 has five or six settings where to the right gives you flanger, to the left gives you delay, etc. Plus you can customize your own, to a certain extent.

I haven't got to try a G5N yet. Going by comments i have seen, it sounds like the amp and/or cabinet models may be improved, but there are some changes to the lay out and operation that seem like a bit of a misstep.

It seems like the main thing they tried to address with the G5n is the switching.....they added more switches to help you change banks, etc. If you're just using it at home, this may not be a factor. I personally have not had any issues or complaints about the G5 switching. I'm not a heavy effect user.

MikeRI

I would have gone with the G5N or the G3N but being able to run on batteries is a feature I didn't want to forego... I would have loved the upgraded sound engine and the foot scroll switches but the battery thing made it a show stopper for me.

dman72

For only fun at home where you don't have to change patches on the fly quickly or scrolling a bit, the old G3 with a firmware update is more than capable. You can probably get one very inexpensively used. If cost is not object, get a Line 6 Helix. :)

Guitar1969

For at home playing the G5n is way to go. I have one as my backup unit to my Atomic Amplifire board and I would have no problem playing it out, as its much more live user friendly than the prior G5 (Which I owned) and the amps and cabs sound way better than the prior units. Most of the people that complain about the new "n" series have never actually used one but are just basing off of the paper specs compared to the G5/G3. If you dig around in here most everybody who bought a G5n and actually played one came to realize its is a step up fro mthe G5 even if a a few things were dropped/changed. But for me personally, I am happy with a handful of quality amps, rather than a bunch of obscure medeocre ones that I would never use.

But for me actual sound quality, and useability is important to me. Call me crazy.....

dman72

For at home playing the G5n is way to go. I have one as my backup unit to my Atomic Amplifire board and I would have no problem playing it out, as its much more live user friendly than the prior G5 (Which I owned) and the amps and cabs sound way better than the prior units. Most of the people that complain about the new "n" series have never actually used one but are just basing off of the paper specs compared to the G5/G3. If you dig around in here most everybody who bought a G5n and actually played one came to realize its is a step up fro mthe G5 even if a a few things were dropped/changed. But for me personally, I am happy with a handful of quality amps, rather than a bunch of obscure medeocre ones that I would never use.

But for me actual sound quality, and useability is important to me. Call me crazy.....
Removing outputs and limiting use of the external control pedal diminishes useability.

They will probably add most of the amps back in eventually.

dman72

Curious why G3X/n is so delayed for the US market...
Their response was "news coming really soon".

If you are in the US and don't need the adapter (you can use any 9V 500ma adapter as it ships with a UK wall wart) order from Andertons. Mine was in house in 3 days and with the strong dollar/weaker pound cost around $161 US. Doubtful the G3N it will retail for less than $150 here as that's what the old G3 still goes for.

ksandvik

If you are in the US and don't need the adapter (you can use any 9V 500ma adapter as it ships with a UK wall wart) order from Andertons. Mine was in house in 3 days and with the strong dollar/weaker pound cost around $161 US. Doubtful the G3N it will retail for less than $150 here as that's what the old G3 still goes for.
That could work but I don't know about overseas return policies. Maybe the US regulations forced Zoom to do more testing/tweaks with their units.

dman72

That could work but I don't know about overseas return policies. Maybe the US regulations forced Zoom to do more testing/tweaks with their units.
Yeah, if you aren't fairly certain you want it, wait.

I don't use the modelling except for an occasional late night demo. The G3 is almost always strictly an effects unit for me, and not for distortion. I have 2 gain pedals on my board and will probably bring in a 3rd after I get an OCD mini clone (already have a real one)

I know the G3N it can do all of what I use the G3 for with added switching functions (having a patch mode that's actually useable is huge), so I took the plunge. With spacehole reverb being added in the guitarlab, it's a B+ for me. If they fixed the scrolling window mdoe issue and added particle verb, it's an A all the way.

ksandvik

Yeah, if you aren't fairly certain you want it, wait.

I don't use the modelling except for an occasional late night demo. The G3 is almost always strictly an effects unit for me, and not for distortion. I have 2 gain pedals on my board and will probably bring in a 3rd after I get an OCD mini clone (already have a real one)

I know the G3N it can do all of what I use the G3 for with added switching functions (having a patch mode that's actually useable is huge), so I took the plunge. With spacehole reverb being added in the guitarlab, it's a B+ for me. If they fixed the scrolling window mdoe issue and added particle verb, it's an A all the way.
Yes, I'm also looking for a pure effects only MFX I could hook either to an amp send-return loop or in front in case I'm too lazy to take with me my PT-2 board. And if G3N is nearly available, maybe better wait than to get a the G3 one.

dman72

Yes, I'm also looking for a pure effects only MFX I could hook either to an amp send-return loop or in front in case I'm too lazy to take with me my PT-2 board. And if G3N is nearly available, maybe better wait than to get a the G3 one.
Ever tried the Line 6 M9? I was seriously thinking of it before the G3N came out. It's an extra $100 hit for basically the same functionality, but it does get great reviews. M9 can be used in stomp box or scene (patch) mode which I never really know until I looked in their manual. Tap dancing gets tiring. The G3N is much improved for patch mode over the G3 with the bank buttons.

Guitar1969

Its listed on various US retail sites, and has an expected date of January 23rd. The timing is good, as hopefully Zoom will brew up some new update info at NAMM

Trending Topics

Top Bottom