Which ZVex Boost?? Super Duper, SHO or Box of Rock??

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by dewman, Sep 9, 2008.

1. dewman

dewman Gold Supporting Member

Which ZVex Boost: Super Duper 2-in-1, Super Hard On, or Box of Rock??

Guitars are Gibsons (humbuckers) into nonmastervolume Marshall style amps, music is blues rock. Looking for a clean boost to kick it up without adding a lot of low end color as the amps have a lot of low end already. Which boost matches well with this setup out of the three ZVex offerings??

2. sixstring531

sixstring531 Supporting Member

Super Duper works well with my buddies ACTB/6 non-master volume. It's an SHO x2 if you want to kick it up a notch.

3. CiceroTJones

CiceroTJones Member

I agree with the Super Hard On/Super Duper.

Box of Rock adds too much color without adding sparkle.

SHO adds volume and sparkle.

Super Duper is 2 SHOs, so if you'd never need two, get the SHO. If you would, Super Duper.

4. ahab

ahab Member

I sure like the Super Duper and the SHO, but I have never used the BOR.

5. jgyn

jgyn Member

I have both the Super Duper and the Box Of Rock. Boost-wise, the Super Duper is brighter than the Box Of Rock.

6. golgonooza

golgonooza Member

I'd rate the boosts in this order: Super Duper (2 SHO's for that extra dimension), then SHO (bright sparkle crackle OK), then finally the boost on the BOR (a bit warmer and colorful, but hey - you get the dirt channel). Try them out if you can.

cheers!

7. zachary vex

zachary vex Member

How can the boost in the BOR be "colorful"? It's exactly the same circuit as the Super Hard-On but the input impedance has been changed from 5 Megohms to 1.1 Megohms, which is identical to virtually EVERY tube amp's input impedance... and one would assume that particular value doesn't "color" the guitar. Literally, the boost side of the BOR is part-for-part identical in value to the SHO except the transistor's two input bias resistors, which are 2.2M each instead of 10M each.

8. ahellam

ahellam Member

9. ahellam

ahellam Member

btw I love my box of rock, it is always on.

10. cube

cube Member

i like the boost on the BOR it makes it nice and thick

11. charmboy

charmboy Member

Never tried the BoR, but I use a SHO and love it. It does exactly what you're looking for.

12. impactblue

impactblue Member

I use the BoR as a solo boost at the end of my signal path. It colors the tone in a way I like, and adds sustains without compressing the signal. Too awesome!

13. imguitardan

imguitardan Member

I've had a Super Duper and BoR. I traded the SD to get the BoR b/c I thought the SHO had too much sparkle but once I had the BoR, I thought the boost side lacked even half the sparkle of the SD. I seldom used both sides of the SD. I think the SHO is all you need (especially if your setup is already bass heavy as the BoR drive side I found to be pretty dark and the Boost side to lack sparkle.

14. somedayrockstar

somedayrockstar Member

I got a SHO and it rally's. I love it. It does exactly what you want. I use it with humbuckers and 2 15 watt amps that are ran at full volume and it does exactly what you were wanting. It's so good it's hard to turn it off.....

15. dewman

yeah, for those of you who asked by PM, I run the non maser volume Marshall style Germino on 8 (out of 10) and just use the volume control on the guitar (between 1 and 6) to go from clean to a nice crunch tone. Sometimes you just want more, or want more articulation with overdrive, so I was thinking of using the boost for either leads alone, or leavin on all the time and running in a similar fashion as I do now, only reducing the volume a bit either at the amp or the guitar. I am not sure if I need a boost of pure volume (Box of Rock?) or a boost with more sparkle and articulation (SHO and Super Duper?) when running the amp like I am running it, which is near full on. Marshalls and Germinos get fat sounding when run this way live and really aren't that loud in a band context when run this way. So the boost would be really used to get my rig up to where you get a singing lead tone, or to generally across the board improve the tone (if left on all the time).

The overdrive of the super duper and Box of Rock are great perks? Can anyone comment on using the super duper as an overdrive. I used to own a Box of Rock and it sounded great but for my rig when run into a clean amp. I am not sure how it would function running it for more dirt in the way I do now, where the amp is totally cranked and the guitar controls everything.

I guess the way I've moved to allows me to not use pedals at all, but depending on the amp and room the only other effect I could need with this setup is a boost, both for pushing the amp into overdrive earlier and to provide a little more clarity/zing to the tone since many amps fatten up when run this way and can lose some definition. Hope that helps- I just didnt now if running the boost in this way increased some weird EQ thing or wasn't going th work. A Klon, for example, would not work at all for this since the low end it adds. Normally this is a good thing to a cleanish amp with the guitar on 10, but when running the amp the way I do it isn't gona fly. Mush city. Similar results with a fat boost. I find the RC Booster a bit harsh on overdrive notes when run this way for some reason. My Tim works ok as a boost in this capacity, but doesnt make the notes come alive like a ZVex would. So its not a question of other boosts I guess is what I am saying, only which version?

16. impactblue

impactblue Member

If you're talking about my comment....I actually boost with the Distortron side....yum....:drool

17. chrisr0712

chrisr0712 Member

PM me if you want a SHO
    Thanks

18. d-b

d-b Member

I first got the BOR and loved the boost so much that I wanted to keep it on all the time but would miss being able to have the drive side on and kick in a boost so I got the SD 2in1. I leave the first side of SD on all the time for a little fattness and sparkle then I have the option of using the other side of the SD for a drive which I really like but mostly as low gain. Other times I use the BOR for my medium gain needs and always have the BOR boost to take me somewhere else.

Soooo...get BOR and SD 2in1 for retarted amounts of versatility and options!!!

(I do not work for or represent ZVex in any way...I just love these freakin pedals!)

19. tropicalfishcap

tropicalfishcap Member

Lately I've been using Fender HM Strat or SGjr P90 > SHO>BOR>SHO>SF Princeton Reverb. 1rst SHO set even with amp vol on all the time. I use the BOR boost and second SHO (knob on 3:00) as rythm then add the BOR dist for lead. It gives you 3 basic sounds to start with. SHO...SHO&BOR...SHO/BOR&SHO. The problem is working with it to get level volumes. The amp can be on 2 and still blow the windows out with the ZVEX pedals on. I like to add a 4-10 ext cabinet sometimes also. The trem and reverb from the amp and a nice dimension too. It's a nice bedroom level amp that can be miked if needed be.

20. dewman

does the Super duper 2n1 have two outputs like the SHO does?

Can anyone compare the overdrive of the 2n1 to the overdrive side of the Box of Rock? In other words, is the 2n1 a nice overdrive on its own when run with the 'master' control up and both channels cascaded?