Whiplash

Discussion in 'The Sound Hound Lounge' started by Turi, Apr 6, 2015.

1. Turi

Turi Member

Wow! What a film!

If you haven't seen it, you owe it to yourself to check it out.

Absolutely fantastic, and I don't even like Jazz.

Seriously good film. Best I've seen in ages.

Great acting, too.

2. jimR8

jimR8 Member

I really enjoyed it also:rimshot

3. iggy23

iggy23 Member

i didn't like it...
    nothing musical at all... the teacher has nothing musical in him,averacting...
    :mob

BADHAK likes this.
  4. JPF

JPF Member

I thought it was brilliant

5. markjsmith

markjsmith Member

I had a guy in college (student teacher) who reminded me of the teacher in Whiplash a lot! Including the non-musical way he would count stuff off (2 beats is NOT enough to establish tempo). It's funny the older teachers who were the real deal were all really nice, and the student teachers were mostly a-holes! I loved the movie, thought JK Simmons was great!!

6. ldizzle

ldizzle Supporting Member

^ I studied suzuki method violin for 10 years through junior year of highschool. I had some teachers like Fletcher. Gah I'm thankful for the study, but gfdsakgh unnecessary.

I thought the movie was incredible- definitely struck an emotional chord with me. Also, the soundtrack is excellent.

RickC likes this.
  7. bugzapper

bugzapper Member

I don't get any of the praise for this movie.

J.K. Simmons should play the dad in the remake of that Twisted Sister video. Oh. Wait. No one cares.

The movie gets everything wrong about jazz, excellence in general, and education. The kid cares about "greatness" more than he cares about music. The teacher cares about winning medals. Where is the love for music in Andrew or Fletcher? Where is any joy whatsoever in playing in a band? It's the most unmusical movie about music I've ever seen. It's the most ignorant movie about education I've ever seen. It's the the least subtle psychodrama I've ever seen.

Plus, most of the drumming looks fake, and isn't even that good.

Hype over substance, from beginning to end.

8. jerrycasemusic

jerrycasemusic Member

I have heard so many conflicting reports on this flick.

9. Ferg Deluxe

Ferg Deluxe Gold Supporting Member

Loved it.

I don't get why people think it has to conform to their idealized assumptions about "jazz". Heck, to me, the movie wasn't even *about* music. It was about the relationship between a teacher and student both striving for their idea of greatness.

The student could have been a writer, a dancer, a mathematician...anything, really.

Goku13 likes this.
  10. iggy23

iggy23 Member

well i was really offended by the film...
    if the general public think this what music is all about... shamefull script
    maybe the scenario should work like in an army setting(even then..)
    t

BADHAK likes this.
  11. bayAreaDude

bayAreaDude Member

I agree that it wasn't about music, but instead of being about greatness I thought it was mostly about abuse.

JWDubois, BADHAK and IGuitUpIGuitDown like this.
  12. Ferg Deluxe

Ferg Deluxe Gold Supporting Member

That too.

13. CheeseGrater

CheeseGrater Member

I thought it was great! Had me literally on the edge of my seat during the final performance. Music or no, just a great movie.

14. bayAreaDude

bayAreaDude Member

I think Black Swan actually told the same story in a more artistic way.

15. Blalockhf

Blalockhf Member

I loved it. It's the most entertaining movie I've seen this year. I am willing to suspend some disbelief when I walk into a theater in order to be entertained.

I agree that the movie isn't really about music - jazz band is just the crucible that the filmmaker used to bring two characters together and set them against each other. It could have been any endeavor.

It also seems like a bit of a cautionary tale about the cost of greatness and whether or not that is something worth pursuing. Sorry they didn't make the movie some of you were hoping for about the purity of jazz and the motives of musicians in that genre.

16. Turi

Turi Member

Anyone who thought this movie was about the music, or love of music, wasn't paying attention.

It's about the relationship between the teacher and the student - that's it - this is why the movie ends where it does.

SPOILER ALERT????

It ends abruptly.

As soon as the student has the approval of the teacher, and the teacher has his "Charlie Parker", the movie ends.

I don't believe it was about the music at all - infact, it damn near says it itself in the movie, where Andrews brother or cousin or whatever, says "isn't music subjective?" and Andrews answer is a straight "no".

The jazz band is just something to work the tale around.

I thought it was great. I'd watch it again... I thought the drumming-acting was great.

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 6, 2015
  17. wickedcookie

wickedcookie Silver Supporting Member

It's interesting to read everyone's opinion, and as with many movies, I can't help but notice that for the most part those who liked it simply appreciated it for what it was, while those who didn't seem to have wanted it to be something else, i.e. it didn't represent music the way I wanted, therefore I didn't like it. Those kinds of rationalizations, to me, always seem to indicate that the concerned party had decided before watching the movie what they wanted it to be about and what they wanted to happen, and it just didn't match up to that pre-determined idea. There's nothing wrong with that btw, it's just interesting. I certainly try to urge people not to confuse movies that are "bad" with movies that "I don't like," because there is a difference, especially when the reasoning above plays heavily into it.

es335td likes this.
  18. imonabuss

imonabuss Supporting Member

I absolutely loved it. It is NOT the same as Black Swan, in fact totally different and much more realistic. Not that Black Swan wasn't great, but it was way more artsy fantasy. Whiplash was gritty, nasty reality. And anyone who thinks music and musicians can't be like this hasn't worked at a pro level.

19. ScatMan

ScatMan Member

For me, the fatal flaw in the movie was the ending.

*** Spoiler Alert ***

I could not believe that a man like Fletcher, whose reputation was so important to him, would destroy his reputation and the reputation of everyone else on stage out of spite, in Carnegie Hall of all places.

JWDubois and IGuitUpIGuitDown like this.
  20. Bieling3

Bieling3 Member

I didn't watch anything more than the trailer. It reminded me of what I always imagined Billy Corgan to be like in the studio.