Whirligig "Rota-Sim!!!"

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by muddy, Sep 19, 2006.

1. muddy

muddy Member

[​IMG]

aw, this ain't fair!!! :Spank i wuz under the impression this wouldn't happen for years... DAMN!!! looks great, though, doesn't it? i wonder where the ramping time is set, or if there's an internal trimmer for adjusting it. i TOLD you you'd have to address this, gez, it's just TOO good a box to let such an important detail go unresolved. hats off for diving into the deep end straight away (and so soon), mate! i want one!!!

ml

2. Angle Loss

Angle Loss Supporting Member

Did you listen to the sound clips? They sound pretty lame for being a rotary speaker sim. It sounded like a bad phaser. The guy playing the clips was pretty cool, but there are already way better leslie sims available.

3. mprvise

mprvise Member

I have one on order. Should be here in three weeks, maybe a little more. I'll give a review at that time. Until then, here's some details I got when I placed my order...

There are three controls (there isn't enough room for any more). A 'Range' knob sets the upper limit from which the effect ramps down from/up to. Its effect is subtle but there's enough difference in speed to cover the variations one hears in the 'Tremolo' setting from unit-to-unit/model-to-model. The lowest speed that is ramped down to/up from is set and is about the same as can be heard in sample 3 on my website:
    www.calypsofx.co.uk
    In common with mechanical single-rotor speaker cabs where the Doppler effect can be lost if the motor runs too slowly, the whiligig sounds totally flat at really slow spin. The time it takes to ramp up/down is also set. This may sound limiting but I intend to incorporate three internal trimpots - 'set and forget' - which can be adjusted with a screwdriver so that you can fine tune upper/lower limits and ramp time to taste.

The other knobs are Depth (controls the intensity of the effect) and Nuance. The new control works over a slightly larger range so that it's easier to hear its effect.

4. nashvillesteve

nashvillesteve Member

While it's awesome to have this in a pedal that you can take with you, nothing is quite like spinning air + the furniture-looking box...

5. fatback

fatback Member

Oh dang it... I mean, Oh cool. :p :D

(Upgrades - the curse of the early adopter)

6. muddy

muddy Member

those are old clips from the original unit. if i get a chance, i have a recording of me using it with my new soultone forty-five, which i'll carve up into a clip or 2. it's an awesome box that does NOT swallow an overdrive with odd, phasey eq.

ml

7. reddgeetarzan

reddgeetarzan Supporting Member

How does it compare to the Korg G4???
    I've been using a Dynacord CLS222- haven't found anything that sounds better yet.

I'd LOVE to hear those clips!!!

RG

8. gez

gez Member

Michael and John (and others), my apologies. It wasn't my intention to do all this now but my supplier phased out the main chip used throughout the Whirligig and I had to wait the best part of 2 months until a RoHS equivalent came into being (new EU regulations mean components have to be lead free, amongst other things). I knew this was on the cards but didn’t stockpile enough chips so I had a little time on my hands…hence the Mark III.

The Nuance knob in the Mark II was so subtle that most people found it useless - I have sensitive ears…too sensitive it seems! - so I hard wired it for the optimum position and the new 'Nuance' control varies another part of the circuit to do the job better (its effect is more noticeable). A battery box has been included so no need to unscrew the back, unless you want to tinker with the trimpots in there to fine tune ramp time and fast/slow limits.

Thank you Angel Loss - well, at least you liked my playing! :^) The Whirligig is intended to replicate a single rotor cab, like the Vibr*tone, not a full blown Leslie, so the effect is subtler. The samples on my site aren't of the Mark III (I'm in the process of updating my site) but I'll be recording some new ones over the next few days…just need to dust down my guitar and remember how to play! Fatback made a pretty cool video of the Mark II. Might make you change your mind…

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-9166401200945127755

9. Don Rusk

Don Rusk Biggus Bearfootus Vendor

10. muddy

muddy Member

STILL a great box, donnie, that i just don't think people gave enough of a chance. in fact, it's the ONLY other sim that doesn't swallow an od.

ml

11. mprvise

mprvise Member

12. Don Rusk

Don Rusk Biggus Bearfootus Vendor

not nearly enough :cool:

13. gez

gez Member

I've updated the first few clips. They'll do for now until I can find a little more time to do the job better.

14. StompBoxBlues

StompBoxBlues Member

Hey Gez! Nice changes. I only wish I had known it was coming (I just bought a pedal from you about 3 months ago I think...unless I'm compressing time in my memory here) but am not complaining....I really like the pedal. IF I had known about the changes though, I think I would have asked you to wait on mine and ship it with the new mods.

I was really happy (and still am) with my Mojo-vibe, used as a vibe, and at first when I got your pedal I tried it...it was a busy time for me, AND I had ordered too many pedals at once and didn't have enough time to explore them all that much...so my preconceptions (like someone else up above here I think) kept wanting to compare your pedal to my Mojo and Deja-mini-vibe, which I now can clearly understand is wrong, because you weren't going for that sound, it isn't the same circuit.

So, I originall was thinking "Cold Shot", "Machine Gun", etc...and I didn't spend enough time playing and just listening. It gets that way for us users after much time and many pedals....a lot of us just pigeonhole them right away...kind of a prejudice really, and instead of actually listening, we have some mental checklist thing going...and sometimes we miss the point. We get a little jaded.

Well...I had the suspicion that was happening with this pedal, so because of lack of time I set it aside and thought I would get back to it. Fast forward a few months, I was putting together a small board for use with my other band...which is up in the air about exactly what style music we would do...and I opened my pedal cabinet and saw your pedal and grabbed it.

That night I played it through my Germino Classic 45 (JTM-45 circuit) with a strat. I just flat out was amazed at the sounds...it really came alive at real band volumes. Some pedals are like that. As someone mentioned, with a clean OR overdriven sound this thing sounds great. We went into "While my Guitar Gently Weeps" and there was THAT sound, I played Hendrixy things and though it wasn't the univibe sound exactly, it was a sound I loved and that was really inspiring.

I also am not using the nuance knob much...I don't hear much difference. I was wondering if there is any way to upgrade, or hear even more in detail the "ramp" and the changes? I don't know if this is a mod I could do here (I am an ASEE in Electronics, a technician, and can read schematics, modify, solder, etc.) or how much it would cost to upgrade...

I mean, I have to weigh the advantages...because personally, even without me hearing much change with the Nuance knob, I still LOVE the way it sounds and interacts with my playing. It is NOT a univibe, Mojovibe, mini-deja-vibe...this really is a slightly different sound and damned unique really.

Just wanted to say, good job!!

15. muddy

muddy Member

yeah, with a strat & a jtm45, it is pure heaven. really makes you wanna play. try playing the solo from badge through it; it really lets the notes pop through, like a cannonball!

ml

16. Kaiser

Kaiser Member

Fatback's videos are great, really helpful

17. gez

gez Member

Once again, my apologies. Three months ago I had no intention of doing the ramp/up down thing until the end of this year at the earliest. Although the circuitry required is pretty straight forward, by incorporating a battery box (it was always my intention to do this) I knew I had to slim the PCB down and stack another one on top of it, so the board layout would need totally redesigning. Doing layouts from scratch is time consuming, and prototyping costs money - especially if layouts are problematic (which they were in this case) and you have to go back to the drawing board! - so I put all this off, but for the reasons given above I finally had the time to tackle the task at hand.

The Nuance knob in the current version isn't the same as in the Mark II so, unfortunately, incorporating the improvements I've made isn't a simple matter of changing a few resistors here and there: a few traces would need to be cut, some jumper wires plumbed in to connect up the (different value) pot to another part of the circuit and a fair bit of 'creative soldering' would be required. It doesn't help that everything is surface mount either, or that I've been tweaking the layout of the boards from unit to unit, so some are going to be easier to mod than others. In short, it's not something I'd recommend you do yourself. It's possibly 'doable', and I wouldn't charge much if it is, but it would look a mess and you'd have to weigh up the cost of postage etc.

As far upgrading to the ramp up/down circuitry I don't see how it could be done. Although the new boards could be slotted in, the layouts of the boxes are too different from one another: I can't see where the extra switch could go. Again, my apologies, but I had to totally change the layout in order to fit everything in.

If you're serious about upgrading the 'Nuance' knob, email me (if you've lost my address contact me through my site) and I'll see what I can do.

Anyway, glad you finally got round to putting the box through its paces and that you now like it. :^)

18. StompBoxBlues

StompBoxBlues Member

Thanks Gez...again, I wasn't really complaining....more like lamenting.
    But I am definitely happy with mine as is.

And if it is that much trouble AND surface mount, think I'll just leave it as is. Like I said, I am loving this pedals sound...and though the other features would have been nice, it works fine as is.

Thanks

19. fatback

fatback Member

+1 The ramp feature would be cool, but my early roto-pedal still sounds great!.

no worries here.
    :D