White arching lines on windshield HELP

Discussion in 'The Pub' started by Bunky, Apr 11, 2015.

1. Bunky

Bunky Supporting Member

THey are on the drivers side, and are almost equally spaced out, looks like from the wiper somehow. I replaced the white but the lines won't wash out with fluid.... is it scratched, or something else?

edit: I'm thinking they are scratched

Last edited: Apr 11, 2015
  2. RTR

RTR Supporting Member

000 steel wool and elbow grease.

3. SteveO

SteveO Member

There is glass polish available that will remove minor surface marks like that, I know that Griot's Garage carries it.

4. Bunky

Bunky Supporting Member

scratches look just like this [​IMG]

I called one local autoglass place and they said it'd need to be replaced. Now I don't usually trust business as it seems most of them just want to make the most money off of you.

5. SteveO

SteveO Member

Yeah, those may be etched in there too deeply to polish out.

6. Stratobuc

Stratobuc Member

That's what happens when you don't change the blades. Worn down to the mounts - windshield etched.

7. cratz2

cratz2 Member

That happened to my sisters car when they didn't get changed out properly. They were completely worn but both ends of the wipers were still intact and actually still cleaned pretty well, but right at the rivets or whatever, they were trashed.

I tried steel wool and the glass polish. Also tried rubbing compound. I even tried Micromesh.

If I concentrated on maybe one square inch and leaned into it a bit, it would improve in that area, but very slowly. We just replaced the windshield.

Good luck, man. Maybe yours aren't as bad as hers were.

8. Rick51

Rick51 Member

You will never polish that out. Replace the windshield, and take better care of your wipers.

9. Bunky

Bunky Supporting Member

I thought the marks were initially just places the wipers were missing, but when I tried to clean it off I went "uh oh."

So I guess it's changing at least once a year, lifting them off the windshield all winter long, wiping with a moist cloth to get rid of grime, and window wash every stop at the gas station.