White Coily Cable of Destruction

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by IamKrisJones, Mar 1, 2015.

1. IamKrisJones

IamKrisJones Member

Ok now that we all have Gearmandude's voice in our head. What is your experience with coil cables? I've always wanted one and actually got one a while back from Fender but it only lasted 6mo. before it died. Any brand suggestions?
    Thanks TGP!

2. Blix

Blix Supporting Member

My experience with coily cables is that they suck, both in use and in tone. :)

Getting one long enough to be comfortable in use, you're stuck with lots of treble-eating capacitance, no thanks!

3. meowmers

meowmers Member

That's the point...:)

4. Slevin

Slevin Member

Have a blue lava cable one, had it for 2 years so far and zero problems. Love the thing.

5. shinksma

shinksma Member

Not a fan of coily cables - the variable-length characteristic that the coily stuff brings results in a light tug, which bugs me. And if it isn't tugging, it is slack, so I may as well have a normal cable.

Nonetheless, if I wanted a coily cable, I'd look to the same well-known brands of normal cables. Lava, GLS, etc. Hmm, looking on Amazon, Lava seems to have a bunch in funky retro colors, too... :cool:

Still don't want one. :hide2

6. MadFrank

MadFrank Supporting Member

The Lava coils are my cable of choice. There is a certain tone it has that I have become accustomed to. YMMV.

7. wingwalker

wingwalker Fuzzy Guitars

I have a lava coil I've had for several years now, done a ton of gigs with and have never had a single issue.

I love it!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

8. thetangmang

thetangmang Member

I've been using the lava coil for years and it's awesome. Very reliable, the coils don't get in the way or stay bunched up or get tangled ever. Sound quality is great.

9. gearscrubs

gearscrubs Supporting Member

I have a couple of the Vox ones. Seem study, sound pretty good, and are affordable. The right angle end is molded plastic, though, so not easy to repair if it ever fails.

10. wookiefoot

wookiefoot Gold Supporting Member

11. towtruk7

towtruk7 Member

I love the look of coily cables and have some old Bullet Cable coilies that I run after the pedal board. I only use them after the board because they are too heavy and always pull against the geetar. I'd really like to try the Divine Noise 50/50 that are half straight and half coily so you don't have the extra pull on your machine.

12. dpgreek

dpgreek Supporting Member

coily cables suck...look like old telephone cords

13. UncleLarry

UncleLarry Member

14. playthecray

playthecray Member

I have a Bullet white coily cable. After about a year of moderate use it stopped working. The cable was $60 new. I liked the cable when it worked.

15. Stonebandit

Stonebandit Member

Give the Blue Split demon Coil/Straight a run. Nothing bests it as you get the best of both worlds. Long runs, versatility and no issues.

16. ryandfl

ryandfl Supporting Member

Is the idea really intentional tone suck?

Aside from them looking cool.

17. Meriphew

Meriphew Member

18. jubal81

jubal81 Member

I'd think this is exactly the case. Coiled makes a cable longer without making it longer. The cable is a capacitor and the longer the cable, the higher value capacitor you have.

Alternatively, if you want that sound, use a rotary switch and a few caps to change your 'cable length.' Or, just turn down the tone knob a bit.

A buffer is not a "cure all" if it comes after the cable. Some highs are already gone.

19. pete12string

pete12string Supporting Member

I have a Fender coil cord. So far no problems. I'm a home player and I like that they don't get tangled up. Lots of straight cords too.

20. duderanimous

duderanimous Monsterpiece Fuzz - Fuzz Master Extraordinaire Silver Supporting Member

really really like the Bullet coily I have been using for at least 3 or 4 years now. Wish they were still around making cables.