1. The Rules have been updated regarding posting as a business on TGP. Thread with details here: Thread Here
    Dismiss Notice

White Falcon wannabe's

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by Stringz, Feb 18, 2009.

1. Stringz

Stringz Member

So I love the Gretsch White Falcon, but can't afford either a vintage one or one of the later reissues so I am looking for a cheap lookalike. The nearest one I have found so far is this:

[​IMG]

Ibanez Artcore AF75TDG-IV

Anyone know of any other White Falcon knock offs kicking around out there? It doesn't have to be new, could be vintage.

2. dantedayjob

dantedayjob Member

I've had a couple Falcons and, to be honest, despite the extreme "cool" factor,... eh... just don't live up to the hype... not saying they suck, oh no! They're really good guitars, just...well... As far as big bodied Gretsch go, I'd pick a spruce top Country Club over a Falcon any day of the week, when I had a Falcon and the CC at the same time, well the Falcon never got played, the CC had the tone... I imagine this Ibanez would be a fine guitar, most Ibanez are...

3. re-animator

re-animator Senior Member

just search for a used white 5120 and upgrade it with gold cosmetics. Then it will look like a falcon and get the tone in the ballpark. I don't think the ibanezes sound like gretsches at all.

4. PedalFreak

PedalFreak Supporting Member

Eastwood use to make a really cool Falcon copy. I've played them, very cool guitars. Cant remember the name of it though

5. dantedayjob

dantedayjob Member

Good idea, I forgot about the 5120 angle... BTW, I wasn't suggesting that the Ibie would sound like a Gretsch, just that it would be a good guitar, tone would be more Gibson like...

6. EricPeterson

EricPeterson Member

With a pickup swap (something gretschy) the Ibanez would be a good option, they are great guitars if you are worried about quality.

7. Cornbread

Cornbread Silver Supporting Member

I've had a White 5120 since July and I really prefer the silver cosmetics over the gold.

The only thing I've done is upgrade the pickups to TVJones Classics. Ever since I got it I've played it virtually every day and my beloved teles get played every few days.

My friends jokingly called it my White trash Falcon and the name stuck. :dude

8. Rumble

Rumble Instrumental Rocker Silver Supporting Member

Ha! That's funny.

9. Stringz

Stringz Member

Can you get a 512x model in white? I can't find one for sale anywhere. I was beginning to think that Gretsch reserved the color white for the Falcon to prevent people from making copies out of their cheaper models.

As for a Country Club as a substitute, I was looking to spend a lot less money than what a CC costs. If I could afford a CC, I'd just get a reissue White Falcon. I can get the Ibanez above for under $500. Maybe getting that and doing a pickup swap would be the best way to go.

10. Cornbread

Cornbread Silver Supporting Member

The 'Baby Falcons' as they were advertised, were done as a special request to a music store, there were about 25 in the first batch and 30-something in the 2nd.

Another reason the Silver looks better on this one to me is that the binding is cream colored.

You can't see the binding in this crappy pic but here's my White trash Falcon

[​IMG]

b80 likes this.
  11. Stringz

Stringz Member

I saw the funkymunky site but they are always out of stock on those and they use chrome hardware. I'd have to do everything over in gold to get the White Falcon look. It's probably a lot cheaper just to upgrade the pickups on the Ibanez to something a little more Gretschy. (And the fact that Gretsch actually refers to that color as Falcon White confirms what I suspected about that color normally being reserved for Falcons.)

12. Stringz

Stringz Member

I guess this is the Eastwood model someone mentioned.

[​IMG]

So which does everyone think looks more like a White Falcon? This one or the Ibanez in the original post? I'm leaning towards this one in terms of the placement of the gold, but the shape is wrong, even compared to a double cut Falcon. The Falcon should be more symmetrical.

13. EunosFD

EunosFD Member

The Yamaha AES1500 in white has a bit of a White Falcon thing going on:

[​IMG]

I believe they may have a Bigsby equipped version as well.

14. John Backlund

John Backlund Member

Here's another white one on the cheaper end of things, the Jay Turser JT-140...but having owned three Artcore AF75's, and three or four Turser archtop hollowbodies I would probably favor the Ibanez over the Turser, but these can often be had for around $350-$400 on ebay and might make a good mod platform.

[​IMG]

15. Waxhead

Waxhead Member

Surfin at Merewether Point, NSW Australia
    The Ibanez and the Yamaha copies will sound a lot more like the real thing if you swap out the PUP's for either Gretsch Filtertrons or TV Jones Classics. That'll help but then I still wouldn't expect either to have that great Gretsch tone. They'll probably sound good though & will look pretty close.

So you should decide if you mainly want the look or the tone. If you really want the tone you'll need a real Gretsch for that. The Duo Jet and my Jet Firebird also sound very similar to the White Falcon and are a lot cheaper.

16. pen15

pen15 Member

$780....looks soooo nice....(not mine)

[​IMG]

17. Joe Boy

Joe Boy Member

I don't know man..there's just something about the REAL thing.

18. Stringz

Stringz Member

I saw a Guild Starfire III painted white recently, but it was a poor paint job. You could faintly see the original red through the white when the light shined directly on it giving it a slightly pinkish hue.

I also looked at the Jay Turser Colonel model. Very cheap and not very Gretsch-y at all.

19. Noah

Noah Supporting Member

[​IMG]

I got this off a fellow forum member awhile ago. It's a one of a kind custom made guitar by Los Angeles luthier Matty Baratto that was based heavily on a Les Paul Custom and a White Falcon. The neck is spec'd from a custom made GMP Roxie II. It's a solidbody with painted f-holes...heavy as hell, but man does it sound great!