Whitney Amplification

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by MHG, Jan 20, 2015.

1. MHG

MHG Member

Anyone know anything about this company? Anyone owned or played any of their amps? Any info would be much appreciated. Thanks in advance for your responses.

2. nmiller

nmiller Drowning in lap steels Silver Supporting Member

Mike Whitney has serviced a bunch of my amps, and he's currently building a custom one for me as well. His work is top notch, and he's easy to work with. I've played a few of his own designs, and they were all great amps. He can usually be reached weekdays at Spindrift Guitars.

3. MHG

MHG Member

Thanks so much for the info. I Hope he gets his website up and running soon.

4. bullet6759

bullet6759 Silver Supporting Member

Great Guy. He worked on my Gretsch 6162 and did a fine job fixing the amp.

5. ericb

ericb Silver Supporting Member

Hi , he just posted on another thread he stopped the website on purpose as he didn't want to turn into another of those builders who gets swamped with orders and have a huge waiting list, so I wouldn't get your hopes up. I've owned 2 of his amps and still have 1 , but I'm going to sell it gradually as I have about 20 amps and need to make that a more manageable #! They're built beautifully and he offers enough styles so you can find what you'd want/need. . Good luck, Eric

6. MHG

MHG Member

Anyone else played one of his amps? I'm particularly interested in his D-style offerings.

7. mrisberg

mrisberg Member

Hey there
    I've got a d style whitney amp. I'll give a review tomorrow once I get a chance. Top notch amps.

8. neils

neils Supporting Member

Mike just looked at an amp of mine that needs repair last saturday up at Spindrift Guitars. Great store. He was in as some of the other guys were at NAMM so he filled in.

While there I mentioned his site and he got kinda "what site?". It wasn't supposed to still up for reasons noted. He made a phone call and made sure it was taken down. I haven't searched so I assume it is down.

He said about 4 weeks for a build.

Neil

9. mrisberg

mrisberg Member

Too tired and busy for a real in depth review. Long story short. GREAT amp. Top notch build quality and components. Great range of clean sound and dirty sounds yet user friendly.
    Neils, I actually just started working at spindrift part time. You brought in the emery amp right? I was the bearded guy tuning guitars. I bought my used whitney before working there. Its a great store with more to come! Hope your amp is doing well.
    Mike

10. Guy from Idaho

Guy from Idaho Member

Mike is a great guy and builds great amps. I've owned two, just let one go several months ago and now I miss it a lot. Once had one arrive with some shipping damage, called him up and he walked me through the repair over the phone. The guy spent a career fixing nuclear submarine electronics, he knows his stuff.

11. neils

neils Supporting Member

Yup. I was the guy with the Emery. Pretty sure I'm gonna have Mike work on it. Curt Emery has some health problems now. I have no idea when/if he'd be able to work on it.

I'll see you in the store again

Neil

12. MHG

MHG Member

13. mrisberg

mrisberg Member

Hey MGH,
    I can put you in direct contact with Whitney if ya want. If you have any spcific questions about my whitney amp ask!

14. MHG

MHG Member

Thanks. I've actually been in contact with Mike already. I asked if his amps are clones, and he informed me that they were not clones, but his interpretation of a D-style amp. I asked which circuit/voicing it was based on, but didn't receive an answer to that. Since his amps aren't clones, combined with no website, no info regarding the circuit they're derived from, no sound clips, no in depth user reviews or comparisons to other D-style amps, it makes it very hard to make an informed decision........and ultimately pull the trigger.

15. mrisberg

mrisberg Member

Hey mgh
    Sorry for not having a review for you yet. Busy times. I hope to get one to you by like Sunday. I've got a tcw amp of his. It rules. More to come. Also, whits amps are inspired by certain amps but he seemingly really does do his own thing with them. Also, for transparency, I am friends with whitney and I have worked like 2 days at spindrift so I do have some affiliation with him. Also note hat I bought one of his amps before working there or really knowing him. More to come.

16. neils

neils Supporting Member

Mike has taken my Emery Superbaby under his wing. Plans are for a more robust output trans that is a custom wind better suited than OE. It's a custom wind. Also a 3 way impedance speaker out switch. He just got it Tuesday so stay tuned. A review when I get it back.

Neil

17. thisisajs

thisisajs Member

Does anyone have info on his M-22 Wrockcrusher amp? Appears to be based off a Trainwreck design with 2 6L6's..

18. sleshnyc

sleshnyc Member

i just bought this amp. And his DCR 50 as well. once they arrive i'll let you know...

19. MHG

MHG Member

20. nmiller

nmiller Drowning in lap steels Silver Supporting Member

There's a lot of good info and opinions in this thread. What else do you want to know?