Whitney Houston was unbelievable !

Discussion in 'The Pub' started by silot, Apr 1, 2015.

1. silot

silot Member

"Dance with somebody" just came up on the radio and I had a minute of pure nostalgia hit me. I was in my teens when it was released and I remember watching her on MTV and thinking that her beauty along with her voice were pretty amazing ! What a waste, what a pitty.....

2. BadAssBill

BadAssBill southofnash.com Silver Supporting Member

Couldn't agree more. I remember channel flipping one time and her reality show came on. I sometimes would watch it for a few minutes since it's based here in Atlanta. Her and Bobby were just waiting for their car from the valet and she busted into a song...it was like the angels came down and started singing. So beautiful....yet so very sad.

3. Z_Zoquis

Z_Zoquis Member

Her story really is one of the most precipitous falls from the top of the mountain that you'll ever see. In the 80s and early 90s she was a giant. Just a huge star...and then she just vanished basically. There was really never a "comeback" either.

4. Go Cat Go!!

Go Cat Go!! Member

She was a major talent and her final years were tragic. What is scary is how quick her fall was. One minute she is singing Nothing Compares to You and starring in film then she does the Chaka Khan song then nothing. So sad.

By the way Nothing Compares to You really inspired me to work on my vibrato. Even though it's over played it still inspires me.

5. D. Stewart

D. Stewart Member

Her seemingly effortless natural talent was almost spooky, and I'm sure more than one of her contemporaries threw in the towel trying to compete.

6. AXEL276

AXEL276 Member

Whitney totally owned the pop music scene in the 80's. She was an icon! Her talent was raised the bar. She was capable of so much more. Bobby Brown took that all away...

7. rodeodee

rodeodee Member

We put Dance with somebody back in a few bands sets last year. Goes down brilliantly every time. Women dance, it seems to lift any cover gig event.

8. Tom CT

Tom CT Old Supporting Member Gold Supporting Member

She was absolutely brilliant. Read the first two paragraphs of her Wiki entry. A shining star who dominated the pop music scene, and deservedly so. :(

9. A-Bone

A-Bone Montonero, MOY, Multitudes Gold Supporting Member

"]Nothing Compares 2 U" is a Prince-penned tune most closely associated with Sinead O'Connor. Did you maybe mean "I Have Nothing," which was a big hit for Houston?

10. A-Bone

A-Bone Montonero, MOY, Multitudes Gold Supporting Member

I know everyone likes to blame Bobby Brown, and I agree that he did not help matters owing to his train wreck of a lifestyle, but by all indications Houston developed a cocaine habit in the 80's, before she and Brown were even a couple.

11. deluxeman

deluxeman Member

Drugs steal another life.

12. Go Cat Go!!

Go Cat Go!! Member

Damn it! No posting before coffee should be a rule for me. I meant the song from the Bodyguard, the Dolly Parton one. I Will Always Love You is the track. Can't believe I had to look that up.

13. T Dizz

T Dizz Member

That video gave me special feelings.... I was like 12 : )

but seriously, she had some pipes, man!

14. Z_Zoquis

Z_Zoquis Member

Yeah that's the thing about Houston - she had the raw talent to have had a very long successful career. She wasn't a cheesy cheerleader tart like Spears - she actually had the pipes to sing more than just dance pop tunes. She could have carried on to a ripe old age singing a variety of styles. Sadly, the drugs mostly destroyed her voice by the mid 90s...

15. Go Cat Go!!

Go Cat Go!! Member

The mid 90's....

The Bodyguard was released in 92. The demise of her talent was shockingly quick. Tragic!