Who actually has an Xvive memory delay?

wundergussy

Silver Supporting Member
For the price, seems like it's worth trying. But the few videos are not great. Price for an Echo Puss is about equal, with many more reviews and videos.

Anyone own and use the Xvive? Thoughts?

Rick Towne

Praise & Western
Gold Supporting Member
I tried to buy one at the NAMM booth but couldn't and have not seen them available.

la noise

I think that pedal was in limited release overseas.
Have yet to see one anywhere in the States for
sale, though?

Maybe Xvive changed their business plan and
found they could make more selling the new
MN3005 Xvive BBD chip to other manufacturers
versus building their own pedals. :huh

augur

Me! Bought it from Thomann (Germany).
But you already know it! ;)

Last edited:
It s actually called Thomann, but i never really got the german language either -despite the fact that i was living there for almost six years... :-o

It s surprising that there s no video on YouTube comparing the xvive to the dmm..

augur

If I could record easily my guitar at home I would!
Let me do a comparison now and give you again my report.

augur

XVIVE VS DMM XO (4xMN3008 with high impedance and headroom analog man mods bought end of last year at AM shop) :

- Delay time: strictly similar from minimum to maximum setting.

- Modulation: Xvive has adjustable modulation depth & speed. It can go a bit slower and much faster.
Modulation might sound a bit lusher with Xvive (see feedback paragraph below for sound difference explanations)

- Mix/Blend knob: both pedals can go from 100% dry to 100% wet

- Feedback: the main difference between my 2 pedals is the way the filter is altering decay.
XO does seems to keep clearer repeats because the filter is softer.
So feedback can be pushed longer on XO so you can have more "reverbish" delay sound.
On contrary, Xvive would sound more lush and it does impact modulation sound too.

- White noise: very similar between the 2 pedals

- Sound at the longest setting: XO will still be clearer than Xvive at longest setting so you hear a bit less aliasing.

- Volume knob: XO can go below unity, Xvive doesn't.

- DMM XO is true bypass / Xvive isn't (like old DMM).

- Footswitch: Xvive does have footswitch to activate modulation (a bit useless to me but some may like it).

- Outputs: XO has 1 effect output (affected by mix knob) and 1 output only for dry sound
Xvive has 2 output affected by mixed knob (no direct)

- Graphix: XO kept original DMM colors, Xvive looks simple and ugly (but made of same quality switches, knobs & plugs)

- Power requirements: Xvive is 9v VS 24v for XO

- Size: Xvive is off course more compact if you're tight on your pedalboard (however I don't like side jacks for such format)

EDIT:
- Input impedance: Xvive has low input impedance which means your guitar sound doesn't become dull on contrary of DMM XO if not modded.
- Headroom: Xvive has same headroom than my XO modded by Analogman.
XO if not modded has less headroom and may become dirtier with high output pickups.
- XO can be used as a boost when delay is engaged. Xvive cannot.
- Xvive does have external expression control for feedback.

To resume:
both pedals are very very similar, and difference might the same if you compare 2 units of the same brand.
In Europe (thanks to Thomann), price is half for the Xvive so it's a real bargain.
In US, price difference will be a bit less.

PS:
I also own a DMM Big Box from early 90's calibrated by Howard Davis.
This one is on darker side and its modulation is a dream.
Very different beast compared to XO and Xvive.

Don't hesitate to ask if you have any question !

Last edited:

PurpleJesus

Moderation is key
Staff member
All the builders I've spoken with about it have said its really, really close to the mn3005

Hey @augur, thanks for the meticulous comparison!! To the point and well-structured :)

XVIVE VS DMM XO (4xMN3008 with high impedance and headroom analog man mods bought end of last year at AM shop) :

- Outputs: XO has 1 effect output (affected by mix knob) and 1 output only for dry sound
Could you elaborate a bit more on this? Does the xvive have stereo capabilities? And if so, I guess it s just that the two outputs are out of phase with each other, right?

EDIT:
- Input impedance: Xvive has low input impedance which means your guitar sound doesn't become dull on contrary of DMM XO if not modded.

I guess you meant to write that the xvive has higher impedance - a lower impedance would load the signal more. Since the buffer of the xvive is always active though, you don t get a difference in tone when the pedal is activated or de-activated and this might explain why you think it has a higher input impedance (ie, it does not colour your tone). If it was true bypass and had a low input impedance, you d most probably hear some tone loss (not a de facto negative quality :) )

THe 1.000.000$ question though is... is one more fun than the other? :)

Thanks in advance for your response :)

All the builders I've spoken with about it have said its really, really close to the mn3005
Just to clarify, are you talking about the two chips (panasonic and xvive) or the memory man and the memory recall?

augur

Does the xvive have stereo capabilities? And if so, I guess it s just that the two outputs are out of phase with each other, right?
Xvive Memory has only 1 mono input but it has 2 separate outputs with balanced dry/wet signal thanks to blend knob.
Dry seems to be still in phase, but when both outputs are plugged wet sound in this case seems to be out of phase (plugged the 2 outputs of the pedal to my Vibrochamp at the same time to check this).

I guess you meant to write that the xvive has higher impedance
Sorry for mistake, you're probably right.
DMM XO and old DMM (even old big boxes) had high input/low output (or the contrary I don't remember) so sound is duller after them.
You don't have this problem with a modded XO (like the one I have) or this Xvive.

is one more fun than the other?
It depends on how you like analog delays.
XO is a clear delay and has a very natural slow decay on repeats.
Repeats of Xvive become darker sooner which helps to have a lush modulation.
I personally use XO on my pedalboard and Xvive on my synths.
As I run my setup in stereo, I can still put equalizing after delay so the brightest one is good for me.

I'm waiting Chase Bliss Tonal Recall to compare and maybe replace one of these.

wundergussy

Silver Supporting Member
I don't know about the pedal's availability but we finally got the Xvive 3005 chips that we paid for at the end of last summer. So more pedals should become available soon (even EHX was out of the TT1100 a few weeks ago, just getting them back in stock soon).
So is there a batch of ARDX20's coming with the 3005?

Don Rusk

BearFoot FX Owner
Vendor
I don't know about the pedal's availability but we finally got the Xvive 3005 chips that we paid for at the end of last summer. So more pedals should become available soon (even EHX was out of the TT1100 a few weeks ago, just getting them back in stock soon).
Yup, same here, just got ours too ....

Howard Davis

- Delay time: strictly similar from minimum to maximum setting.
- Modulation: Xvive has adjustable modulation depth & speed. It can go a bit slower and much faster.
Modulation might sound a bit lusher with Xvive (see feedback paragraph below for sound difference explanations)
- Mix/Blend knob: both pedals can go from 100% dry to 100% wet
- Feedback: the main difference between my 2 pedals is the way the filter is altering decay.
XO does seems to keep clearer repeats because the filter is softer.
So feedback can be pushed longer on XO so you can have more "reverbish" delay sound.
On contrary, Xvive would sound more lush and it does impact modulation sound too.
- White noise: very similar between the 2 pedals
- Sound at the longest setting: XO will still be clearer than Xvive at longest setting so you hear a bit less aliasing.
- Volume knob: XO can go below unity, Xvive doesn't.
- DMM XO is true bypass / Xvive isn't (like old DMM).
- Footswitch: Xvive does have footswitch to activate modulation (a bit useless to me but some may like it).
- Graphix: XO kept original DMM colors, Xvive looks simple and ugly (but made of same quality switches, knobs & plugs)
- Power requirements: Xvive is 9v VS 24v for XO
- Size: Xvive is off course more compact if you're tight on your pedalboard (however I don't like side jacks for such format)

EDIT:
- Headroom: Xvive has same headroom than my XO modded by Analogman.
XO if not modded has less headroom and may become dirtier with high output pickups.
- XO can be used as a boost when delay is engaged. Xvive cannot.
- Xvive does have external expression control for feedback.

To resume:
both pedals are very very similar, and difference might the same if you compare 2 units of the same brand.
In Europe (thanks to Thomann), price is half for the Xvive so it's a real bargain.
In US, price difference will be a bit less.

PS:
I also own a DMM Big Box from early 90's calibrated by Howard Davis.
This one is on darker side and its modulation is a dream.
Very different beast compared to XO and Xvive.

As the designer of the DMM, which the XO is a small box version of, and also the designer of the Xvive Memory Analog Delay, I must correct some things here:
1) The modulation in the Xvive is more "lush" because it is a combination of amplitude and frequency modulations (tremolo and vibrato) phased to simulate a rotary effect. The XO has frequency modulation only, as does the DMM and other delay pedals.
2) To obtain the stereo effect output in the Xvive, the processed signal is mixed into the two channels out of phase. This is necessary for a good effect, and is meant to be heard with a 50-50 mix.
3) The modulation footswitch allows the presetting of the desired effect, and kicking it in and out as desired as you play.
4) The Xvive unit has MUCH higher input impedance - about 900K, as compared to the 100K of an unmodified DMM. The input impedance increase mod cannot be done in the XO model due to its surface mount construction. With the Xvive there is NO TONE SUCKING at all.
5) The Xvive has higher headroom than the DMM or DMM XO.
6) The Xvive has a DRIVE (overdrive) control that boosts both dry and effect signals so the balance set by the BLEND control is maintained at all levels.

OPERATING INSTRUCTIONS for the Xvive Memory Analog Delay:

Connect the 9VDC center negative adaptor to the power in jack, guitar or other instrument to the input, and amplifier to the L/mono output. If the power polarity is incorrect the pedal will not work, but will not be damaged. If you have a second amp for stereo, connect it to the R/stereo output. The best effect is obtained when the amps are set for the same volume level and are several feet apart, as on opposite sides of the stage. If an expression pedal is used, it should have a standard 20K pot.

For hot pickups or line level inputs the DRIVE control should be set low. Bring up this control until the overdrive distortion becomes a bit excessive, then back it off until you get just the sound quality you want on the loudest chords or notes.

With the MODULATION DEPTH turned all the way down or the MODULATION footswitch off, set DELAY, BLEND, and FEEDBACK for the echo effect you want.

If desired, switch MODULATION on and turn up the MODULATION DEPTH and adjust the MODULATION SPEED for the effect you want. The footswitch allows switching the modulation on and off with the control settings unchanged.

FOR CHORUS EFFECT:
Set BLEND for equal levels of dry and delayed signal, DELAY very short, MODULATION DEPTH to maximum, and MODULATION SPEED to minimum. Slowly increase the MODULATION SPEED until you get the best chorus effect without excessive detuning (wavering in pitch). FEEDBACK can be added to enhance the effect. The chorus effect sounds best in stereo.

FOR ROTARY EFFECT:
Set DELAY very short and BLEND to delayed signal only (fully clockwise). Adjust MODULATION DEPTH and MODULATION SPEED for the effect you want.

FOR REVERB EFFECTS:
Set DELAY short, MODULATION DEPTH all the way down or very low, and BLEND for equal dry and delayed signal levels. Set the FEEDBACK high for multiple repeats that slowly die out. Feedback settings just before self-oscillation occurs will produce a "bathtub reverb" effect that can be varied with the delay and modulation settings. As with chorus, reverb effects are enhanced in stereo.

As the designer of the DMM, which the XO is a small box version of, and also the designer of the Xvive Memory Analog Delay, I must correct some things here:
1) The modulation in the Xvive is more "lush" because it is a combination of amplitude and frequency modulations (tremolo and vibrato) phased to simulate a rotary effect. The XO has frequency modulation only, as does the DMM and other delay pedals.
2) To obtain the stereo effect output in the Xvive, the processed signal is mixed into the two channels out of phase. This is necessary for a good effect, and is meant to be heard with a 50-50 mix.
3) The modulation footswitch allows the presetting of the desired effect, and kicking it in and out as desired as you play.
4) The Xvive unit has MUCH higher input impedance - about 900K, as compared to the 100K of an unmodified DMM. The input impedance increase mod cannot be done in the XO model due to its surface mount construction. With the Xvive there is NO TONE SUCKING at all.
5) The Xvive has higher headroom than the DMM or DMM XO.
6) The Xvive has a DRIVE (overdrive) control that boosts both dry and effect signals so the balance set by the BLEND control is maintained at all levels.

OPERATING INSTRUCTIONS for the Xvive Memory Analog Delay:

Connect the 9VDC center negative adaptor to the power in jack, guitar or other instrument to the input, and amplifier to the L/mono output. If the power polarity is incorrect the pedal will not work, but will not be damaged. If you have a second amp for stereo, connect it to the R/stereo output. The best effect is obtained when the amps are set for the same volume level and are several feet apart, as on opposite sides of the stage. If an expression pedal is used, it should have a standard 20K pot.

For hot pickups or line level inputs the DRIVE control should be set low. Bring up this control until the overdrive distortion becomes a bit excessive, then back it off until you get just the sound quality you want on the loudest chords or notes.

With the MODULATION DEPTH turned all the way down or the MODULATION footswitch off, set DELAY, BLEND, and FEEDBACK for the echo effect you want.

If desired, switch MODULATION on and turn up the MODULATION DEPTH and adjust the MODULATION SPEED for the effect you want. The footswitch allows switching the modulation on and off with the control settings unchanged.

FOR CHORUS EFFECT:
Set BLEND for equal levels of dry and delayed signal, DELAY very short, MODULATION DEPTH to maximum, and MODULATION SPEED to minimum. Slowly increase the MODULATION SPEED until you get the best chorus effect without excessive detuning (wavering in pitch). FEEDBACK can be added to enhance the effect. The chorus effect sounds best in stereo.

FOR ROTARY EFFECT:
Set DELAY very short and BLEND to delayed signal only (fully clockwise). Adjust MODULATION DEPTH and MODULATION SPEED for the effect you want.

FOR REVERB EFFECTS:and
Set DELAY short, MODULATION DEPTH all the way down or very low, and BLEND for equal dry and delayed signal levels. Set the FEEDBACK high for multiple repeats that slowly die out. Feedback settings just before self-oscillation occurs will produce a "bathtub reverb" effect that can be varied with the delay and modulation settings. As with chorus, reverb effects are enhanced in stereo.
Dear Mr. Davis,

First of all, given the chance, thanks for the great pedals, and for being so helpful -even when somebody simply asks you for advice concerning the pedals you have designed. Says a lot, really.

I just wanted to ask you whether the xvive Analog Delay is smd-based, and whether the chips it employs (3005 / cd4047 / ne570 / opamps) are socketed. I am using a dmm xo, and i m in the process of populating a couple of dmm pcb's from madbean projects so I would be interested to try out your latest pedal, i m confident that it will sound really beautiful (especially after listening to a rototron, although this is a different kind of modulation)

FInally, is the vibrato and tremolo in the XVive being controlled by the same LFO? Or is it two different ones that are interlocked in different but related frequencies? (I guess the LFO shapes might need to be different, but maybe using the same shape for both results in something more musical)

Thanks in advance, I understand if you can't answer all those questions :)

Trending Topics