Who amongst us CHOOSES to have V30`s in their Cab / Combo ?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by BryanMatthews, Jun 7, 2008.

1. BryanMatthews

BryanMatthews Member

Absolutely me !!

Ive read lots of nay-saying the moment the V30 is mentioned here. I just love mine. You have absolutely no problems with cutting through a mix , they are punchy and deliver notes with great weight behind them. Select your neck pickup on a clean channel and its warm sweet and smoky jazz club all the way.

I simply cannot fault them and I choose 100% to use them in my close backed speaker cab. Who else is a fan and what do you think of the nay-saying that goes on ?

Bryan

2. somedude

somedude Member

I think they're popular for a reason.

I think that nay sayers are doing one of two things;

1) Nay saying because they've tried them and don't like them, or

2) Nay saying because it's the popular internet thing to do.

Besides, as good as they are for hard and heavy music there are better choices for classic and clean tones, that's why we have options.

3. Iceman8.6

Iceman8.6 Member

Celestion V30's? Nope....WGS Veteran 30's? Yep.

4. 6789

6789 Member

After reading all the negative comments about V30s I tried a G12h30 in my Orange Rocker 30 combo and put the V30 back in as fast as I could. The V30 gives me the bark and cut-through the mix that I like.

5. DGDGBD

DGDGBD Member

I absolutely love the celestion v30 .....

.... in my matchless spitfire clone. For some reason this is the only speaker that sounds good in this amp. But do not like it for my other amps. I think its more a high gain thing. Love the WGS v30.

6. davebc

davebc Member

They came stock in my Dual Professional and are perfectly voiced for this particular amp. They sound amazing.

7. GAT

GAT Gold Supporting Member

I have one in a Port City OS 1x12, sounds great with a Carol-Ann head. However, I do get some cone cry with them (I've tried 2 V30's).

8. thorny64

thorny64 Supporting Member

What is wrong with V30s? I think they are great. I also have combined one with a G12H and I think they sound excellent together.

I have heard them in both closed back and open back cabs - all kinds of amps and styles. I had two in my bogner combo. They are kind of like to speakers what the Duncan JB is to pickups (great, versatile, maybe not for every person in every application but generally quite popular for a reason - they sound great).

9. Simpy

Simpy Member

After using a Cele gold for a while in my SFDR, I switched to a V30 and I've really never been happier. It's a great all'round speaker.

10. mcdyas

mcdyas Supporting Member

Aren't they a little lacking in bass for an open back cab? I picked up Hot Cat 50R 1x12 w/V30 and it doesn't seem to have a very strong/round bass, maybe the bass is a little bit thin. For this open back combo I might look for something else, maybe a Gold?

11. illini

illini Member

Every time there is a thread on the vintage 30's I start thinking that maybe I do need to check out the Veteran 30's after all. But when has the gas about any product lived up to the hype?

I like my 10 year old V-30's in my cab. I get many compliments on my tone from engineers I highly respect. Of course I also like them for "Rock" tones with a Marshall amp. And according to most threads this combination is set to fail, because they only work for "hard rock/metal", and definitely do not work with Marshalls.

12. celestion101

celestion101 Silver Supporting Member

Then let's just agree that you don't like V30's (fair enough) because the Veterans do not measure very similar to one (regardless of the clone claim).......

13. Category 5

Category 5 Member

well,

they are warren haynes favorites:)

Rick,

pm me.

DonR

14. vchizzle

vchizzle Supporting Member

I've been a V30 guy pretty much since the first cab I owned with them. For hard rock and overdriven guitars they just work best for me. I've tried other speaker and combos of speakers, but came back to the V30 for my basic tone. I use other speakers for different purposes, but the V30 is my main go to favorite.

15. photios

photios Member

I use v30's in a few of my cabs...but they are always mixed with something else.

My fav cab that I use live has 2 V30's, 1 George Scholz Driver and 1 Greenback...I mic up the GS Driver with a Senn 421 pointed right at the center cone and I mic one of the V30's with a Royer R-121 just off the edge of the center cone. The tone is bone chilling...there's just a certain sparkle and bark that you get with V30s that I like. 4 of them in a single cab has always been a bit too much of a good thing for me, but hey to each his own.

16. GuitarInnovations

GuitarInnovations Member

I've tried the V30 with some amps and they just didn't do it for me. With my Shiva and my Supersonic, however, I'm convinced this can be the perfect speaker depending on the circuit.

17. Big White Tele

Big White Tele Member

I have one as well, and totally agree. Ive tried Webers, and Jensens, and ended up back to the V30's. Ive also ended up putting them in my BF Twin as well. I think they work great in Fender amps. Some say that they have to much midrange, but that seems to help the scooped Fender sound. No shortage of bottom end as well.

18. shredtrash

shredtrash Supporting Member

I really like V30's for my rock stuff. They hold together really well in the mids and lows. No issues with them here depending on the application.

19. Sol

Sol Member

I've been playing 25 yrs, and always through Celestion speakers, I love all of them for varous reasons and applications.
    But when the V30 came out, it just sort of encapsulates so much of what Celestion tone is about, the V30 has all that I love about the Greenback 20W
    with some of the G12 H and Silver Alnicos in my ancient AC30, thrown in..

Its that they managed to get a vintage tone from a cone that can handle 60 to 70 Watts, thats really impressive I think, because apart from the V30, if someone asked me how best to get the old Led Zep or Cream sound, Id have said that it could only be done with 25 or 30 Watt Celestions, which is still good advise for anyone looking for that sound, but just two V30's in a 2x12, will get you most if not all there without lugging two 4x12 cabs loaded with M or H Greenbacks.

All IMHO of course, plenty will say a cone that can handle 60 Watts is too heavy for vintage rock tone, so you have to try it yourself I suppose, but they do the trick for me.

20. the_Chris

the_Chris It's All Been Done Before Gold Supporting Member

V30s are my favorite speaker (atleast for the amps and styles I play). I play a lot of rock/pop styled stuff and I haven't found a more suitable speaker for my Bogner Shiva.