Who are or were your teachers?

Discussion in 'Playing and Technique' started by monte, Jan 27, 2008.

1. monte

monte Gold Supporting Member

Just wondering who you guys took or still take lessons from.

I was taught briefly as a child and then picked it up on my own later on and remained self taught. These days, I go for lessons every now and then with Karl Cochran. It is great to be able to get a fresh perspective on playing and to also have things explained sometimes.

FYI, Karl is the guitar player for Joe Lynn Turner, co-wrote some Kiss songs, played with ESP and Ace Frehley as well as has a couple of albums of his own out there. He is located in NJ.

Check him out http://www.karlcochran.com/

2. countandduke

countandduke Member

I've taken lessons from a few people:

Ben Starzak
    Terry Peterson (great player in Kenosha)
    Dave Uhrich
    Frank (forgot his last name, lived in Gurnee, IL)

That's about it, of course I have a TON of dvd's and have learned a bunch from them and dudes on this forum.

Chris

3. Flyin' Brian

Flyin' Brian Member

West of YOW by way of CT, NY, NJ, Chicago and IN
    Formerly with Henry Johnson in Chicago, now with Neal Alger also in Chicago.

4. Captain Crunch

Captain Crunch Member

My current teacher is Rex Carroll, formerly of the band White Cross. Truly a monster player and gifted musician. I call him 'sensei'. :D

[​IMG]

5. KRosser

KRosser Member

Cut & pasted from a similar thread in the Lounge not too long ago:

6. Leucadian

Leucadian Guest

...when I lived in D.C., a few choice lessons with Paul Bollenback (http://www.paulbollenback.com), Rick Whitehead (http://www.rickwhiteheadguitar.com/), and Paul Wingo (http://www.paulwingo.com/)...all these guys would just hang out with you for a few hours...I really enjoyed them as people...in San Diego...about 20 years ago, I took 2 or 3 lessons with Peter Sprague (http://petersprague.com/)...I still have Peter's hand-written method book...he's a wonderful person and remains a good friend/fellow surfer/we live in the same neighborhood...he also happens to be a monster jazz guitarist!

...also, all the great instructors at GIT, circa 1998-1999...especially Dave Hill and Dan Gilbert...although, I loved the improvisation workshops with people like Scott Henderson, John Stowell, Carl Verheyan, Brett Garsed...:AOK

7. Lucidology

Lucidology Supporting Member

Face to Face:

Schooling from Dan Hearle
    & hands on experience with Pete Seeger ..

8. Leucadian

Leucadian Guest

...that must have been quite an education...care to elaborate?

...when I went to Paul Wingo's house for my one and only lesson, I was there for half the afternoon...I still remember that day..it was a lot of fun and I learned a lot about listening:D...he's a real character!

9. chopsley

chopsley Member

I'd say I'm mostly self-taught, but I officially took lessons with Paul Asbell, Bruce Arnold, and Sam Davis. I also took lessons with a guy when I was 12 or so, but to my everlasting shame, I've forgotten his name (and, to my further shame, I still have a Beatles songbook he loaned me! Man, I'm going to hell for that one!).

I also learned a lot from fellow guitar players just by hanging out and jamming.

10. Lucidology

Lucidology Supporting Member

Well .. I studied theory, arranging & composition with Dan Hearle .. who is a well known educator
    (you know of him right? he plays a lot of keyboard parts on many of Abersold's play alongs ...
    Plus he's written some classic books on improvisation & such ..)

I lived in Pete Seeger's house when still a very young man (long story),
    & then when he decided to use an electric band for his one & only tour ever with an electric band..
    I was called back to NY to play lead guitar in that band ... Talk about an education ...!!

11. JamonGrande

JamonGrande Member

hmmm...

first guitar teacher was Francis Nosce, my 5th grade music teacher

then spent many years hanging out in music stores and playing along with records until college

Undergrad: classical guitar with Alan Rosenkoetter and jazz guitar with Bill Lenihan, composition and improv with Roland Jordan, rhythm and electronic techniques with Richard O'Donnell, and sitar with Ustad Imrat Khan.

lots of playing time with the New Music Ensemble in St. Louis, multi-instrumentalist Steve Mote (RIP)

Grad: improv classes with Anthony Davis, Jason Robinson, David Borgo, and Mark Dresser, sitar lessons with Kartik Seshadri, programming with Miller Puckett

honestly though, everytime I get a chance to play with somebody, or hear a presentation (Eugene Chadbourne was most excellent), I come away changed. If I'm listenin', I'm learnin'

joe

12. gennation

gennation Member

Beside college music classes, I've only had one instructor that I did lessons with. I did about a month or two with a jazz teacher a year ago. His name is Mike Hyde. Great player and teacher.

Other than that it was listening and learning as well as picking up from other players I worked with and know.

13. ivers

ivers Member

14. tkozal

tkozal Supporting Member

I learned Jazz Theory from the sax player Eric Kloss...who used Dan Haerle's book! I am constantly recommending it!

15. KRosser

KRosser Member

OK, that does it...the next time I'm in the general Monterey area I'm taking you out for dinner and you're telling me all about that.

16. Bussman

Bussman Member

My mother's a piano teacher, so as a kid I had no choice but to sit there and bash scales (you can tell I thoroughly enjoyed it, can't you?) It did not last long. Too bad and she was right, I do regret it now.

In my teens, I took several lessons with Hans Leveillé, a Quebec City based jazz guitar player. I haven't been in touch with him, but I think he's made an album with Jeff Berlin at some point. I heard he's been recuperating from a bout with cancer the last couple of years. I should email him. Great guy.

17. matte

matte Senior Member

phip buchanan
    ed mcguire
    stan scott
    robert fripp
    lionel nowak

18. vhollund

vhollund Member

I had a 3-4 unknown teachers to begin with but Im pretty much autodidact

19. djbrough

djbrough Member

Moses Staimez
    Rick Burgess

20. jazzguitarplay

jazzguitarplay Member

One of my first teachers was Tags old teacher Richie Hoenberger, he later changed his name to Richie Hart.
    I was reading the Village Voice in 1982 and who do I see advertising for students?. John Scofield. Man, I jumped on that like a bum on a bologne sandwich. I took about 4 lessons with him at his place called Westbeth on the lower Westside.
    He gave me to sheets of paper basically re harmonizing the melodic minor scales. Other then that, he had me comp standards in the storage bin in the basement of the place and he blew amazing lines while I recorded them on cassette. AT that time he was hardly known in the states compared to his tours in Europe. A half a year later, Mike Stearn got him into Miles Davis Band. That was the last I saw of John Scofield