Who are the Experts on Intermittent Fasting Currently?

Discussion in 'The Pub' started by Jarrett, Dec 7, 2017.

1. Jarrett

Jarrett Member

I'm looking to get more into IF and want to learn from the ones in the know. I've been flirting with the 16:8 deal for a while, but I'm ready to step up to some 24+ hour fasts.

I like bite size YouTube video series preferably.

Trying to figure out what frequency and duration is optimal.

Wondering if 5 on / 2 off might be safe and functional.

DFB1 and DirtLover like this.
  2. Jarrett

Jarrett Member

If you are anti-IF, please start your own thread.

3. Badfrog

Badfrog Member

I recall the Hodgkins twins on YouTube having a couple vids on IF. If you don't mind some cussing they can be amusing. Hodgkins Vlog I believe is the name of their channel. They are into fitness.

What exactly are you wanting to know about IF?

spakuloid and TommyGuitar like this.
  4. Moxsam

Moxsam Member

I think all that ketosis is eating your brain.

rizla, teleguy1974 and Jarrett like this.
  5. Social Exodus

Social Exodus Lone Wolf Silver Supporting Member

Dr. Jason Fung wrote "The Obesity Code and another book specifically on intermittent fasting. The video here is highly regarded.

6. travisvwright

travisvwright Member

I think Martin Berkhan (sp?) is considered the original popularizer of the idea. leangains.com I don't think he's written anything in a long time though and I don't know of any videos.

I've been on some form of IF for 5 or so years and it works very well for me. (I've written a post or two on it but they were both geared towards people's initial-shock-overcoming, which I know you are past already.)

Jarrett likes this.
  7. eicca

eicca Member

8. FenderBigot

FenderBigot Supporting Member

Watching this thread.

9. CRAIG4FSU

CRAIG4FSU Whatever... Silver Supporting Member

10. TheGuildedAge

TheGuildedAge Supporting Member

This quote concerns me only because I don't like to see people so hell bent on trying things in the face of real peer reviewed research that may give them another perspective.

From what I have read fasting works, short term. But the cons of it, namely what it does to our metabolism, brain function, and insulin hasn't been studied much.

I am not nutritionist, just a guy with a keyboard. But I have read a little on it because I teach world history and I do quite a bit with early humans, their diet, and what evolution has done to the human system. So it kind interests me. What is really interesting is it seems to have a different effect on women than men, biologically.

I just wanted to throw that out there, don't get so caught up in trying to find people who will confirm your bias and completely ignore an intelligent counter opinion.

Some of the potential negative side effects of an IF concern me more than the short term weight loss, which some studies think may be caused by negative factors, ie. increased cortisol, etc.

Last edited: Dec 7, 2017
  11. Travst

Travst Supporting Member

My wife has been doing it and has lost 10 lbs in the last few weeks. I'm preparing to read Fung's book and have his audio CD of The Obesity Code. I walk a lot, work out, and eat right and in the right portions, but keeping weight off has become more problematic as I've aged (59).

12. Jarrett

Jarrett Member

Are there any Cliff Notes for the Obesity Code? I hate reading diet books when they are 95% fluff and 5% diet plan.

travisvwright and Travst like this.
  13. sanrico

sanrico Member

Ironically, I have just started doing this. I found this video very interesting and am enjoying all of Dr. Berg's videos:

Jarrett likes this.
  14. Social Exodus

Social Exodus Lone Wolf Silver Supporting Member

Summary of Obesity Code

Slackerprince, p.mo and Jarrett like this.
  15. DrewH

DrewH Member

OP... what is wrong with you?

Eat normal. Eat controlled portions. Have smaller breakfasts/lunches and add one snack between. Make breakfast your biggest "meal" and dinner your smallest. Then, exercise vigorously as often as you can.

I don't understand this extreme crap you do. It's not healthy. Controlled and balanced food intake, with an emphasis on whole versus processed foods is the key to diet victory. You don't need to read the mumbo jumbo witch doctory books or go to these extremes in eating.

Please, don't even start to tell people who can and cannot post in your threads. When you post a thread in the pub, you open yourself up to whatever ridicule or critique comes along.

Oh...and I not "attacking" you. I'm attacking the notion of these irresponsible threads being posted on a forum with as much traffic as TGP. You want to risk yourself, fine. But, someones going to read this, think fasting might be neat to try, and then be dead because of some unknown diabetic condition or something else.

Last edited: Dec 7, 2017
    Carlo likes this.
  16. ZosoJJC

ZosoJJC Member

I read Dr. Fung's book, The Complete Guide to Fasting. Tons of great info but I agree on your fluff point and this had plenty of it (although if you happen to be pre-diabetic or diabetic I'd highly recommend the book). Otherwise, I think it is simply a worthy read. Like the Obesity Code, the book puts forth the hypothesis that what is making us fat and giving us metabolic syndrome is insulin that is elevated perpetually. It also discusses how IF teaches our bodies what is real hunger and fake hunger (our brains tricking us when insulin is high).

What I really enjoyed about the book is how it shifted my thinking. We've been duped and lied to by food industry marketing for decades. As Fung says, NOBODY makes any money if you eat LESS. Several comments here cautioning about the dangers of IF but what is really dangerous is popping out of bed everyday and consuming food and doing it everyday, 3 hours all day, for decades. You never give your insulin a chance to go down and this is extremely detrimental and (this will incite some anger) quite unnatural. ALL people should really be naturally IFing at easily and at least 10-12 hours per day (between dinner and whenever you break your fast) and in my humble opinion when you try it for a short time and break the cycle we've been on from the USDA food pyramid you can feel how our bodies evolved to IF naturally and not eat often. Eating breakfast makes me hungry for lunch earlier than if I skip it, that was my first sign.

Good luck with your exploration!

p.mo, ontariomaximus and Jarrett like this.
  17. Jarrett

Jarrett Member

Thanks for those posting useful links.

I've got them saved just in case the trolls derail this to the point that I have to delete it.

JK1965 and chumbucket like this.
  18. DrewH

DrewH Member

So, now its name calling because some people don't agree in what you are doing? I love how the internet works these days. Any thoughts contrary to your own suddenly makes the person a "troll". Maybe you need to actually look up the definition of troll. Because stating an opinion contrary to yours is not it.

19. travisvwright

travisvwright Member

An opinion contrary would look like: " I think ..." You literally said OP there is something wrong with you. That's trollish, dude.

20. DrewH

DrewH Member

Ok... yeah. Bit on the brasher side, I'll admit. But, the OP has a history of these posts. I really wish the mods would put extreme diet and other medical stuff in the no-fly zone.

rizla and travisvwright like this.