Who are the Experts on Intermittent Fasting Currently?

Discussion in 'The Pub' started by Jarrett, Dec 7, 2017.

1. shakey_slim

shakey_slim Member

Roark and Jarrett like this.
  2. Whogo

Whogo Supporting Member

Hi Jarrett. I started back in March of this year with one-meal-a-day substitution with smoothies, then incorporated IF around May, leading into a ketogenic-style approach to eating sometime in August. I'm down 53 lbs., and now well within the range of where I should be weight-wise, and am learning to eat regularly in such a way that I can now maintain my weight going forward.

My experience with IF came about after viewing various videos with Michael Mosely and Jason Fung, and it all worked for me. I started out with a few 24-hour fasts, and it definitely got easier after the first three were behind me. The last major fast I completed lasted 88.5 hours, and on the morning of the final day, I felt INCREDIBLE! I still incorporate 18 to 22-hour fasts here-and-there, and still get that same good feeling.

It's definitely doable, but requires some inspiration up front, and a shift in our typical mindset, attitudes, and habits toward food and eating here in America.

3. Jarrett

Jarrett Member

That's great info. What made you decide to go 88.5 hours?

4. Whogo

Whogo Supporting Member

Watched a video one evening about a group of test subjects who'd gone twelve days, and had experienced all kinds of good effects, and decided right then-and-there to just go with it (on a Thursday night), and see how far I could go. By early Monday afternoon, I think it was more of a psychological challenge, and so I broke my fast with a very light salad and some sauerkraut. It was so worth it, though.

5. tonegangster

tonegangster Silver Supporting Member

Sounds like the Troll needs some IF!!

Jarrett likes this.
  6. Jarrett

Jarrett Member

Any ill effects from it? The longest I've gone so far is 24 hours.

I'd like to make it a more regular thing, but trying to figure out the smartest way to implement it.

7. Whogo

Whogo Supporting Member

It helped me to have maybe 100-250 calories or so of fats per (fasting) day, such as some nuts and the like. This eases any dull hunger pangs that arise. Yet during my longest fast, I stopped feeling hunger at all by day #3.

8. Hack Prophet

Hack Prophet vile mighty wretched Silver Supporting Member

The only reason the threads turn into train wrecks is because people who can't hold their tongue and move on insist on posting inflammatory tirades

9. DirtLover

DirtLover Member

Jarrett, thanks for the post - I'm going to bogart the useful info that shows up. I regularly do 16-18 hour fasts and have done 24 hour fasts but it's been a while for those. I don't think the 14-18 hour fast/6-8 hour "feeding window" is extreme at all, especially with sound nutritional choices during that time. Unless you have legit blood sugar issues of course. The 24 hour fast is just a good exercise in discipline - at least, that's how I view/use it. Nothing extreme about it but if you start posting about going "breatharian" I'm totally going to troll your thread.

10. chumbucket

chumbucket Supporting Member

Sounds like you'd probably recommend a low fat diet chock full of healthy whole grains too.

JK1965 likes this.
  11. Strat

Strat Member

I'm not anti-IF, but as a physician in sports and rehab medicine, have yet to appreciate any accrued benefit as opposed to something with a proven track record as whole plant food based diets. Then you don't have to worry about it.

12. chumbucket

chumbucket Supporting Member

13. BdaGolfer

BdaGolfer Member

Dr. John Gerardo has a good off available on IF. He tried several variations over 6 months and presented his findings on what it did for him. Don't have it handy but Google it.

The reality of a 16/8 IF approach is that you just skip breakfast. It's not that extreme.

JK1965 likes this.
  14. Strat

Strat Member

Ok, I'l bite; what are you ( people ) trying to accomplish with an IF ? What's the end game ?

15. travisvwright

travisvwright Member

Metabolic flexibility. Body recomposition.

Slaphappy, JK1965 and Roark like this.
  16. PedalFreak

PedalFreak Supporting Member

I used to do it as a detox, cleansing thing. Some do it to lose weight. Can't speak as to why others do it. As a detox I loved it. Keep meaning to do one again, was pretty amazing how you'd feel afterwards. You'd start noticing how much sugar and salt was in foods that you hadn't tasted in the past. It was as if you were hitting a "reset" button on your body.

17. MrAstro

MrAstro Member

It's just a brute force way of making sure calories in (eaten) are less than calories out (expended by your body). It achieves the same end as counting your calories and measuring how much you burn with say a good fitness tracker.

I'm not completely against it but I see it as lazy and more trouble than just counting your calories and working out your have a calorific deficit in the case of people who want to lose weight or balancing your calories if you want to keep you current weight etc.

TommyGuitar likes this.
  18. travisvwright

travisvwright Member

So you deny the studies showing endocrine and hormone effects?

Jarrett likes this.
  19. dto

dto Member

I've watched quite a bit of this guy lately:

Roark, Jarrett and Travst like this.
  20. Strat

Strat Member

oh. Well, is that a real thing ? Is there any legitimate science backing this theory ? I've never heard of such in any professional publication. I comment only because of the morass of the wellness industry and the fraudulence.

JoeB63 likes this.