Who are the Experts on Intermittent Fasting Currently?

Discussion in 'The Pub' started by Jarrett, Dec 7, 2017 at 9:47 AM.

1. ned7flat5

ned7flat5 Member

I recall back in the early '90s (around the Passion & Warfare album) Steve Vai was extolling protracted fasting as a means by which to connect with some inner creative force. He didn't have a weight problem that's for sure. He was writing a series of Zen-themed Guitar Player articles around that time. I recall reading an unsettling yet intriguing (for an impressionable me) GP interview quote along the lines of "after (x) days of total fasting, every cell in your body is crying out...". It worked for him I guess.

On the other hand, EVH accomplished a lot with a Marlboro and a variac.

Last edited: Dec 8, 2017 at 1:07 AM
    Sidmore, p.mo and NeuromancerAI like this.
  2. Strat

Strat Member

Have any of the proponents of IF commenting here been exposed to the research on whole plant based diets in the body building and elite athlete world such as provided on Garth Davis MD's website ( an easy centralized repository) ? Credible science would appear to be at odds with IF from my reads.

3. Strat

Strat Member

no wonder I don't get his solos.

4. MrAstro

MrAstro Member

Mate I am a rare 1% who lost weight (50 pounds) and have kept every ounce of for over three years. I did it by measuring everything that went in my mouth and creating a calorific deficit. I keep it off by balancing my calories.

If you are at a healthy weight and exercise and your blood tests come back normal after losing the weight then frankly you don’t need to worry about hormones and endocrine effects.

Further it’s laws of physics -energy in vs energy out and the fasting diet is no different.

When you create a daily deficit of say 1000 calories for months then effectively you are fasting to lose weight anyway

Last edited: Dec 7, 2017 at 3:43 PM
  5. mvsr990

mvsr990 Supporting Member

This is... extreme - and the first paragraph isn't incompatible with most fasting regimens.

No one's going to die from skipping breakfast and lunch one or two days a week (which would make a 24 hour fast if one doesn't eat after finishing dinner the night before). Certainly no one's going to die from a narrowed eating window.

6. dirk_benedict

dirk_benedict Silver Supporting Member

Matt Marshall www.fitnessunderoath.com

Brad Pilon.

If you are an endurance athlete training for a race, I wouldn't recommend fasting.

But I am huge believer in fasting. It's not for everyone. But if you are otherwise a healthy adult who enjoys experimenting with fitness and nutrition, I'd highly recommend you give it a go.

Last edited: Dec 7, 2017 at 4:00 PM
    Jarrett likes this.
  7. travisvwright

travisvwright Supporting Member

Congratulations millions try and fail, to do what you've managed. Cheers.

Don't you think that both energy in and out are effected by endocrine and hormones?

Last edited: Dec 7, 2017 at 4:12 PM
  8. Lamby

Lamby Member

Hodge twins. They're entertaining, but not exactly professionals.

9. travisvwright

travisvwright Supporting Member

(Assuming you aren't asking if body recomposition is real.)

I think it's a newish term for something very common to the point of being taken for granted. The term describe those people who need less consistent glucose intake to function at a high level. You've probably known someone who after not eating for even a few hours gets shaky hands, or even just kranky. That would be an extreme example of metabolic inflexibility. Perhaps you know a more official term (or perhaps I'm describing insulin sensitivity).

10. Jarrett

Jarrett Member

That was me until I stopped worrying so much about counting calories and focused more on adjusting hormones.

11. Strat

Strat Member

ok. got it. All of this goes away in a whole plant food based diet btw. Not for everyone but far more efficient. thanks

12. Roark

Roark Member

It was suggested to me by my bariatric surgeon I could do a three day semi fast up to 500 calories using protein drinks. I haven't needed to yet, but I've done a couple of forced three day fasts with an IV drip.

13. ChrisVereb

ChrisVereb Member

My natural eating schedule was pretty irregular for a long time between work and kids. I tried 5/2 to lose weight with my wife a while back, but we stopped after a few weeks because of the emotional affects she experienced. After a health scare last November, I started some pretty severe calorie restriction but with regular eating intervals per my doctor's orders. I dropped 90 lbs (down 130 from my max) before I was ordered to maintain my weight. Maintaining was harder than losing, unsurprisingly. After a few months of being lax, my old appetite started to return and I noticed my weight beginning to creep back up.

A few weeks back I resumed 5 / 2, and I'm really enjoying it this time starting from a healthier position. It's helped get my appetite back to a sustainable level and really curbed my junk food cravings. I like the feeling of control I have while doing IF. I eat when I feel hungry enough to need food... Which isn't really all that often once I get familiar with how my body reacts to fasting. And when I do indulge, I enjoy abstaining for a while until I feel like I'm back to normal.

I look forward to food, and I look forward to fast.... It's great for me. I can definitely understand how it might not be ideal for a lot of people. Food is fundamental and a justifiably intensely emotional aspect of our lives. In my case I just happen to click with IF, and as long as it doesn't begin to show any negative health impacts I will probably keep it up in some form indefinitely.

My normal fast lasts about 40 hours, with some sunflower seeds and raw veggies eaten once or twice in that period. Trying to have a small meal mid fast doesn't work well for me. My BIL and FIL both do longer fasts regularly for non-health related reasons. I've thought about trying a longer fast myself at some point purely out of curiosity. I'll likely try a 3 or 4 day one this holiday while I have time away from work. Speaking of which, I'd recommend trying your first few fasts on non work days if possible. You don't want any unexpected reaction to fasting to impact work.

Whogo, travisvwright and TommyGuitar like this.
  14. mvsr990

mvsr990 Supporting Member

In my experience, acclimating with a few weeks of healthy, whole-food eating is very helpful - jumping straight from sodas and dessert to even a constrained eating period like 16/8 is tough.

15. Springfieldscooter

Springfieldscooter Member

A big thick Ham Steak, Scrambled eggs, and biscuit with gravy sound real good right now.

InkStained and CRAIG4FSU like this.
  16. Silverthorn

Silverthorn Member

You would most likely would be the exception and most likely reduced your carbs even if you don't know it. When I lost the weight on LCHF I ate lots and never counted calories.

17. Silverthorn

Silverthorn Member

Phinney is a bit anti long fasts. He says studies show you will start to lose muscle mass on extended fasts of, I believe from memory, seven days. I just skip breakfast occasionally.

Jarrett likes this.
  18. MrAstro

MrAstro Member

I did indeed reduce my carbs because if I ate the amount of pasta and bread I used to eat I wouldn't be able to eat anything else decent and stay under the amount of calories I'm allowed to eat.

That said, I still eat plenty of carbs - they are just balanced with everything else.

On average I eat 2600 calories a day. That's not too bad. I do about 14000 steps on average. If I was mostly sedentary I might be able to eat say 2000.

19. chumbucket

chumbucket Supporting Member

Yeah, I think you start to lose muscle mass after 72 hours of fasting. The 16/8 or 5/2 plans get you the health benefits without the wasting effect.

JK1965 likes this.
  20. BadHiwatt

BadHiwatt Member

I used to think the same, but it is a bit more complicated.
    Watch Dr Rhonda Patrick explain to Joe Rogan.

Or google dr. Panda time restricted feeding, the research is on cell.com

Jarrett likes this.