• New Sponsor: ShipNerd, Ship Your Gear with Us... for less! Click Here.

Who are your favorite "unsung" single coil Strat players?

8bitlooper

Platinum Supporting Member
Definitely Robert Quine (the early stuff is good, but the Matthew Sweet stuff is *great*).

I’ve always thought of Loren Connor as being an interesting artist, although not in the guitar ‘hero’ space per se. But a strat player.

TubeStack

Silver Supporting Member
Not necessarily “unsung,” but I love Gary Moore’s hard rock playing with a bridge pickup Strat tone.

mikebat

I also was going to post Michael Gurley. He has a quintessential Strat sound but still sounds unique.
And I think that is the thing about strats, unless you are totally copying SRV, it is going to sound uniquely you. A Les Paul... it is harder to sound unique, and the differences between you and the next guy with a Les Paul are slim.

That is why I shake my head when people talk about how special Slash's tone is.... really? That is the easiest sound to strive for, Les Paul, some boost, Marshall. A wah once in a while. End. I am not saying it isn't a good sound, just so easy to attain.

dcburn

Silver Supporting Member
Janick from Iron Maiden comes to mind. Always plays a strat, yet you really only hear of Murray and Smith. I'm hear to say Janick rips too!

Edit: Murray plays a strat too, and has a sig model.

makeitstop

Old dude with guitars
Simon Neil of Biffy Clyro
Plays almost nothing but Strats and makes them sound bigger and heavier than just about anyone. He's become pretty famous/infamous for using a Boss Metal Zone into a plexi for his high gain sounds.
Very unique player and great songwriter too. One of my absolute favourites.

The tone during the chorus in this song in particular is one of my favourite tones I've heard in years. It was recorded with a 70's Strat and only one amp (I don't know what amp, but I heard him say in an interview he wanted it to be just one amp for that sound instead of using multiple stuff for double tracking and layering)
I've seen Biffy just about every time they' hit the States, and never been less than impressed. As good as they are on record, I think they're even better live.

Simon's taken to occasionally playing a Gretsch (6120, I think) live, which surprised me the first time I saw it.

Simto

I've seen Biffy just about every time they' hit the States, and never been less than impressed. As good as they are on record, I think they're even better live.

Simon's taken to occasionally playing a Gretsch (6120, I think) live, which surprised me the first time I saw it.

Cool to see a fellow fan here :) Love that song too.
I saw them open for Foo Fighters nine or ten years ago. Listened to Biffy more than Foo Fighters since then and seen them every time they've played here in Denmark since hehe.
They absolutely destroy live. I'm jelly you get to see them in America because they play pretty small venues compared to here in Europe.

Yeah, he's used a Falcon for some songs back in the day and a new double cut Gretsch something something I forget the name of since the Ellipisis album. Mostly for some of the more gentle songs.
He also uses a 335 for "God & Satan"
I heard him mention in an interview that he recently (around the time of recording their latest album) bought a 70's Les Paul and has been getting a bit more into that type of guitar. But other than that it's Strats 90% of the time.

Here's another one of my favourites. This song is quintessential Biffy. Lots of brutal high gain strat tones, taking it where it usually isn't really known for going. Great song.

Last edited:

makeitstop

Old dude with guitars
Cool to see a fellow fan here :) Love that song too.
I saw them open for Foo Fighters nine or ten years ago. Listened to Biffy more than Foo Fighters since then and seen them every time they've played here in Denmark since hehe.
They absolutely destroy live. I'm jelly you get to see them in America because they play pretty small venues compared to here in Europe.
I've seen them in NYC's Hammerstein Ballroom and the Music Hall of Williamsburg in Brooklyn, both relatively tiny venues. I also got to see them at Madison Square Garden, opening for Muse. That tour was supposed to have been the one to finally break them in the States - but unfortunately Simon came down with a pretty bad case of bronchitis and they had to bail from the tour! The MSG show was the last one they did with Muse, I think it was the third or fourth date of the tour.

That's okay, though - those who know, know. I'll take them in smaller venues any day. :)

Did you get to see the live stream show of A Celebration of Endings last year? The staging was brilliant, and the mix was insane. 'End Of' was especially good - I wish they'd post the video of that! They've limited how much of the show they've put up to a couple of songs.

Simto

I've seen them in NYC's Hammerstein Ballroom and the Music Hall of Williamsburg in Brooklyn, both relatively tiny venues. I also got to see them at Madison Square Garden, opening for Muse. That tour was supposed to have been the one to finally break them in the States - but unfortunately Simon came down with a pretty bad case of bronchitis and they had to bail from the tour! The MSG show was the last one they did with Muse, I think it was the third or fourth date of the tour.

That's okay, though - those who know, know. I'll take them in smaller venues any day. :)

Did you get to see the live stream show of A Celebration of Endings last year? The staging was brilliant, and the mix was insane. 'End Of' was especially good - I wish they'd post the video of that! They've limited how much of the show they've put up to a couple of songs.

I've sadly only seen the videos they've put out from it. I really regret not buying a ticket for the stream because it all looks and sounds insane. I'm surprised and a little disappointed they haven't released the whole concert since hehe.

Trending Topics

Top Bottom