Who are your favorite users of effects?

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by mobis8, Feb 13, 2009.

1. mobis8

mobis8 Member

I have noticed that in some music I hear, the guitarist either uses effects in a new way which inspires me, or in the most subtle and tasteful way, more like a texture which is sort of where I am at as a guitar player currently...

Who are your favorite players who use effects in a way for which inspire you as a guitar player? I would like to check out some of the guys that inspire you to see if there is anything out there I am needing to experience.

I think we should limit this to only listing two players.

Below are my two that I think people here should check out if they already haven't:

Matt Bellamy of Muse: As of late, I find myself listening to his playing in complete awe. He has the abllity to find new ways of incorporating existing effects into his playing style in ways I could have never imagined all while being extremely melodic. Has anyone seen the kaos pad he has installed in the back of a couple of his guitars? Or the Zvex Fuzz Factory circuit he installed in another couple? This guy is seriesly a bad mother for whom even those who don't appreciate the genre will appreciate his use of effects and is worth a closer look...

Mike Einziger of Incubus: I don't listen to much of Incubus anymore, however I will state that his use of effects did originally get me started on this path and must be mentioned. He is a very underated guitarist IMO, and has the ability to create ambient textures; while for the most part in the background still crucial to the overall feel of their music (mainly referring to the latter half of their discography post "Science" album). Another I feel others here may enjoy or be inspired by should you check out his work.

So - whacha got?? I am in the mood to hear something new...

Remember, we are not talking good guitar players, but good users of effects...

2. shngn7

shngn7 Member

I love what Johnny Greenwood of Radiohead does with all of his effects...granted I have no idea what half of the effects he uses are. He is truly innovative with effects in my opinion. Whatever he is doing during the solos of "Go To Sleep" and "Paranoid Android" is stuff I have never heard and can't even begin to try to emulate.

3. Clumsy Fingers

Clumsy Fingers Member

:agree

Others?

David Torn, Nels Cline, Bill Frisell, Fred Frith, amongst others. As much as I believe Hendrix was & is the undisputed master of effects use, he was just slightly before my time, so my formative electric guitar experience was hearing Adrian Belew playing w/ Talking Heads before 'Remain In Light' was even released. It wasn't just geeky guitar boys who were shaking their heads in disbelief, but the entire crowd: a beat-up Strat, a Big Muff, A JC-120, and god knows what delay, had everyone staring at the weird bald guy stage left who made sounds like we'd never heard before.

It was like taking a drug- it was that transcendent and trippy. Lately, Belew just doesn't excite me as much, but that one experience made me a fan forever.

4. The Last Rebel

The Last Rebel Member

Cream-Era Eric Clapton knew his way around a fuzz and wah. David Gilmour, The Edge and Robin Trower are all great users of 'vibe and delay.

5. TwoTubMan

TwoTubMan Member

6. rob2001

rob2001 Member

Beat me to it...

I'd add Pat Travers

7. earthtonesaudio

earthtonesaudio Member

Sel Balamir for sheer hugeness.
    http://amplifiertheband.com/
    Tom Morello for do-a-lot-with-a-little-ness.
    And I totally agree with Johnny Greenwood, Matthew Bellamy, and Mike Einziger.

8. coolhand78

coolhand78 Supporting Member

Eric johnson, david gilmour and doyle bramhall II...

9. amphead777

amphead777 Member

Uh,Jimi Hendrix!!!!!

10. kev324

kev324 Supporting Member

Larry Chaney and I'll second Doyle Bramhall II

11. nibus

nibus Supporting Member

My Favorites:

The Edge
    Johnny Greenwood
    Tom Morello
    Matt Bellamy
    Mike Einziger
    Andy Dunlop (Travis)
    Nels Cline
    Kevin Codagan (Third Eye Blind, originally)
    Ross Childress (Collective Soul, originally)

edit: John Frusciante

These also all happen to be most of my favorite guitarists.

Last edited: Feb 15, 2009
  12. maresco2

maresco2 Member

Dave Knudson of Minus the Bear. I wish I could get the sounds he does out of my HOG.

13. NeilYoungFan

NeilYoungFan Supporting Member

Jimi Hendrix was one of the first to combine effects. David Gilmour took the whole thing to another level.
    There are many guitarists out there that use effects in really creative and innovative way, but Hendrix and Gilmour...kinda led the way, IMO.

14. wingwalker

wingwalker Fuzzy Guitars

Hendrix was, and still is the king! Jeff Beck had a very interesting wah style around Truth and Beck Ola that I really dig, Clapton really used his fuzz and wah to great effects during Cream. David Gilmour is just amazing in terms that not only does he use a lot of effects but he uses them in a very musical wah. Also, I've always liked how Billy G uses effects...lesten to old ZZ Top recordings, there is wah all over them but you almost ever even notice, fuzz boxes all over, chorus pedals, ring mods...lots of very nice subtle things as well as some very overt things.

15. Stormbringer

Stormbringer Member

I agree with Hendrix, Gilmour, and most of the others above but I'll add Jimmy Page here.

Page has been cleverly using effects since the early 60s.

Last edited: Feb 14, 2009
  16. todd richman

todd richman Senior Member

Hendrix, Gilmour (atmospheric), Johnson (classic violin fuzz tone), The Edge-man knows his way around a huge rack!

17. Oddos

Oddos Member

For traditional stuff it`s Mike Landau.

For modern stuff it`s Eivind AArseth.

Both great players that control the effects to augment their expression as opposed of letting the effects control them.

18. BillyJoeJimBob

BillyJoeJimBob Member

Ichirou Agata from Melt-Banana. His effects are part of his instrument like few other. Hard to believe he does that stuff live just like on the records.

19. Blurillaz

Blurillaz Member

Um...
    Jonny Greenwood
    Graham Coxon
    Jack White
    Buckethead, if the song's not too weird or metal-ly(which is like, 89% of his songs...)
    Simon Tong