Who Can Afford PRS Private Stock Now?

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by drbob1, May 23, 2019.

1. drbob1

drbob1 Silver Supporting Member

I recently picked up this guitar:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

It plays great and looks fine. It's from the Experience 2016 display. It turns out that PRS has just built another one almost identical:

[​IMG]

for sale at MusicZoo. Check the price: $13k!!! Now, what I paid is less than 1/2 that. 3 years ago PS guitars were $9-10k, you'd lose maybe $3-4K if you had to sell. Now people are losing maybe $7k on a guitar that's a couple of years old? Who can afford to do that? And with used PS prices staying about the same for the last 10 years (ie in the $5-6k range) you can't really bank on the fact that retail price is going up to pull up the price of your used guitar. This is a case where I just can't see an argument for buying new, no matter how much you love the guitar.

JasonElGato, uab9253, Shiro and 11 others like this.
  2. wox

wox Supporting Member

Your post sounds like a $13k guitar is an everyday necessity for people.

In my experience, people buying a $13k guitar are comfortably able to do so, and not the most concerned with resale.

Sure there will always be the outlier who buys some dream instrument for a lot of money and has to sell it to pay the bills or whatever, but low resale on lux guitars should not come as a surprise to anyone.

3. Betos

Betos Member

Who can afford a private stock now? Who could afford one then!

Were the 'experience display' guitars private stock, or just slightly unique models, like a different top wood?

4. Frozen Rat

Frozen Rat Gold Supporting Member

I think your outlook is too optimistic. From what I've seen those used private stock guitars don't move very fast: sit around for months, years even; and who knows what kind of thrashing the seller finally takes moving one. If you buy one of these, don't even think about flipping it on the used market unless you're ready to take the worst financial beating of your life doing it.

5. RayRay

RayRay Silver Supporting Member

I think there is a difference in "can" vs "want to" as well.... For example, there's a Koa PS that is just insane. I love it and I don't even play PRS anymore (I'm a Suhr guy). But I want it because it's just beautiful.

Can I afford it? Trying not to sound like a dick, but yes. I can. But I don't want to. There's no way I'm spending 13k for a guitar that 1) I'm not going to play the snot out of and 2) that'll be a 7k hit when I sell it. I really like it, but not at 13k.

I'd rather buy a few more Moderns if sinking that much into one purchase.

6. drbob1

drbob1 Silver Supporting Member

They've done it both ways, over the years. This one is a legitimate "PS" guitar with the PS serial number, but some of them have just been "artist spec".

Yeah, maybe my attitude is a little twisted, since I'm 62 and sooner or later everything is going to have to move on, so I try not to buy stuff I'm going to take it in the shorts on later. It's served me well up to this point.

JasonElGato, Danny D and urQuill like this.
  7. Mpcoluv

Mpcoluv Supporting Member

As a PRS fanboy I mainly think of the PS models as having extra bling. Therefore I’m not interested in paying the extra $$$.
    However there are lots of folks willing to pay extra for something “special”

jrjones likes this.
  8. Cam1936

Cam1936 Member

I always assumed you bought a private stock because it was exactly the guitar you wanted, and you are wealthy enough to do so. Does resale really matter?

9. BrokenRomeo

BrokenRomeo Supporting Member

My guess would be the typical demographic of business execs, doctors, lawyers, dentists, etc., who dabble in guitar...just a hunch though.

10. RayRay

RayRay Silver Supporting Member

Nah, those days of the Private Stock program are largely gone. I mean, sure, you can still do that, but now they're mostly all dealer-spec. Not that there's anything wrong with that.

11. Tim Plains

Tim Plains Supporting Member

Probably the same guy who can lose $100,000 on a new Ferrari. Seriously, how is this any different than any luxury item, or a USA made Fender/Gibson guitar compared to the same model made in their Custom Shop?

12. Betos

Betos Member

That's off the rack PRS! Private Stock is more in the CEO, neurosurgeon, corporate lawyer, and orthodontist demographic.

Last edited: May 24, 2019
    JasonElGato, baiff, Peppy and 5 others like this.
  13. Bluesful

Bluesful Supporting Member

This is how I view them.

I don't think I can even afford a stock Core model.

Washburnmemphis and AllanAnd like this.
  14. slipbeer

slipbeer Supporting Member

I've been playing PRS since 1988 and somewhere after the PS program got started in 1996 I started socking money away so I could get one.

I put 100 bucks a month aside for 15 years in a special account. Then I went shopping and decided I really didn't want one that bad. Bought a used McCarty and a really nice bottle of scotch and the rest is just parked for retirement fun and games.

15. Texsunburst59

Texsunburst59 Member

Those who can do, and those who can't question why.

This is just the same scenario for any product that's well out of reach for the everyday guy.

People with money don't stop to ponder if they should, the just buy what ever they want.

cutaway and RayRay like this.
  16. jvin248

jvin248 Member

I own "more than one" PRS and $13k is too top end. They are using those prices as halo-models though. Everyone talks about them, like this thread, and people check out their more appropriately priced models for real consideration. They probably only sell two or three of those top models new, most go through dealer demos then get knocked down to half price to sell. Pure marketing.

However, you can have all kinds of fun, write all kinds of hit songs, Rock 'n Roll, with one of these for $250
    [​IMG]
    Or these for $150, which I've bought used for as little as $35. Sometimes holidays sales push them out at $80 new. The secret of this model is it's super light weight, if that is a consideration. Their neck is pretty close to a good Tele neck, unlike the Squiers that are all over the place of too skinny.

[​IMG]
    You can always swap in a few parts if you like.

LagunaMan and JosephZdyrski like this.
  17. BoringPostcards

BoringPostcards Member

I wouldn’t spend that kind of coin on a guitar unless I was sure it was something I really wanted and something I’d never sell.

valvestate and wstsidela like this.
  18. Trebor Renkluaf

Trebor Renkluaf I was hit by a parked car, what's your excuse? Silver Supporting Member

Who can afford PRS Private Stock to begin with? I'm thinking the person who buys those doesn't really care about money and aren't buying them for resale value. If they can afford to buy one they can afford to take a hit on resale value.

Chuckracer likes this.
  19. DiPa

DiPa Constant GAS Silver Supporting Member

High end instruments prices continue to go north, been that way for the past few years, even a $6K guitar is up there in price, look at Gibson and Fender Custom shop prices, it’s all going north.

budglo58 likes this.
  20. Cam1936

Cam1936 Member

I did a similar thing. I'm financially stable, I save a lot and invest a lot for retirement, don't have any consumer debt ect.

I inherited about 10 k and decided I was going to splurge and buy an R8 or PRS artist brand new. Ended up getting a used LP Traditional and putting the rest into investment accounts. I'm lame I know.

You can't go through life being a total cheap wad and never splurging, but to be buying guitars as expensive as this new you either have to really love them or be making CEO/neurosurgeon money.