Who Can Help Me Find A Rectifier Tube? I Was Told...

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by teleluvver, May 15, 2015.

1. teleluvver

teleluvver Supporting Member

...that a rectifier tube does not directly impact the tone of an amp. Well, whether directly or indirectly, my amp hasn't sounded as good since I replaced an original Amperex Bugle Boy with a modern tube. I'll have to look and see what the modern tube is, but for now my amp is not with me. The amp is an all original 1965 Fender Princeton non-reverb. I spent a little time looking into getting an NOS tube, but I couldn't seem to find the same one. Can anyone who has experience and who can relate offer me some suggestions or advice on a replacement? Thanks.

2. Able Grip

Able Grip Member

You need to post the actual type of tube ie B5QX

There are a number of online tube sellers. The Tube Store. The Tube Depot. I would start by asking these guys. They are into tubes...

3. la noise

la noise Supporting Member

Probably get more sound advice in the amp forum.

And oh yes, in my experience a rectifier can impact
    both tone and feel---I don't care what anyone says
    otherwise either.

Good news for you is NOS rectifier tubes are not
    all that spendy as compared to, say, NOS power tubes. :)

4. teleluvver

5AR4/GZ34

5. drbob1

drbob1 Silver Supporting Member

Check out this, about 1/2 way down. There's an Amperex Holland which would be the Bugle Boy tube. $125!

GZ34

6. Able Grip

Able Grip Member

7. 71strat

71strat Member

Ive bought many NOS tubes from Tube World Express as drbob1 mentions and have always had great success with them. He has a good guarantee. Don't buy unless they have at least a 30days guarantee.

I use a 61 Fat Base Mullard GZ34/5AR4 in my Metro GMP45.

But if you liked the sound of your vintage amp I would try and keep the original formula for the tubes. If it have a Bugle Boy in it that's what I would replace it with. Especially just to keep it simple.

Brent Jessie at audiotubes.com also has many great tubes and guarantee.
    5AR4/GZ34 Early type Amperex white label, OEM type, or Bugleboy, made in Holland.​
    New Old Stock, original box and white box. Rare early 1960s Holland Amperex white label type or Bugleboy logo, smooth plate edges, Dual D-getters. Some say the Holland 5AR4 is the best. Try these rare tubes before they vanish and see for yourself! Some made for Mullard, Philips, Dario, Scott or Mazda, some unlabelled OEM stock for organs.​
    $199.00​
    in stock​

8. DaveKS

DaveKS Member

9. amz-fx

amz-fx Supporting Member

10. Glitch Magnet

Glitch Magnet Member

11. teleluvver

I'm pretty much ready to just drop the coin and get the same NOS Amperex that was in there. If I knew that I could get good tone from a cheaper tube, I would do it. I just don't want to pay a tech to bias the amp 5 times while I experiment with tubes. At the end of it all I'll look back and wish I would've just bought the expensive NOS tube. I know that the amp should be biased after a power tube change, I guess I wasn't aware that that was the case with rectifier tubes.

12. Kurzman

Kurzman Supporting Member

You should post this question over in

Amps/Cabs Tech Corner: Amplifier, Cab & Speakers Tech Discussions

(The eBay seller referred to in the above post states (in one of his neg. feedback replies) that if a tube tests NOS, it IS NOS.)