Who can make me a custom Jaguar?

Medgeking

Curious for leads on a luthier who can put together a Jaguar for me. I don't particularly care for relic guitars and I'm totally down for something made with usacg and warmoth parts. I've done project builds for years, but I've learned that I'm no luthier and I now have two kids which limits my project time.

I'm definitely want to spend under 2k.

Any ideas?

BK Verbs

Gold Supporting Member
For that amount of money you're in new Fender AV territory at full retail. You can get a Marr Jagg for less. At that point, pay a few hundred more and get a Danocaster or a real vintage 1960s Jag.

<<I paid a little over half that for an early USA AVRI '62.

What are you looking for that Fender can't deliver?

cmatthes

Silver Supporting Member
I'd go for the Fender Marr Jag, but if that's not your speed, Musikraft really can't be beat, and any competent tech/builder could put that together for you. You'd be able to get in at well under $2k and have an incredible Jag.

Check out THe Offset Forum - lots of guys over there have been building for years (Doug Kauer, Paul Rhoney, etc.).

Ron Kirn...he has built me and several others Jaguars, and he knows more about that era than almost anyone. And the Jaguar is his favorite build

cugel

the final product from a competent tech will be, well, competent.
if you want a world class set-up and fit and finish, check out Kirn's web page for what goes into a build. his prices will surprise you as well.

gtwannabe

the final product from a competent tech will be, well, competent.
if you want a world class set-up and fit and finish, check out Kirn's web page for what goes into a build. his prices will surprise you as well.
Ditto on what cugel is saying. The first person that I would go to would be Ron Kirn. I assume that you have seen this thread?

Medgeking

Thanks for the tips guys. Ron Kirn seems like a good option.

I'm not considering a Fender because there are a few custom tweaks I'd like (sparkle finish, stay trem, etc). I'm also interested in doing away with the rhythm circuit. I realize that aside from the sparkle finish, I'm describing a Marrguar, but I feel like if I'm spending in that price range, I'd rather have something custom that's made for me. I did in fact have one of the orange Marr Jags and the finish drove me nuts - was coming off left and right. I ended up buying a Classic Player Jag cheap and then I added Pickup Wizard pickups and a Staytrem bridge and arm mounting. I love that guitar and all in, it cost me less than $700. I'd like another Jag that has some vintage appointments (regular tremolo placement, vintage frets) and something that's made to a higher quality level than the CP.

Metlupass2

Silver Supporting Member
You ever check out a Tom Anderson Raven?

You can find them used for under $2,000.

71strat

For around $2000 you could get a nice USACG Body/Neck. They also have a finisher, they can send to

Buy all the parts you want, and send it to Joe Glaser in Nashville, for Complete Assembly, Set Up Plek.

But for sure 100% a USACG NECK. I would get a USACG neck over a Warmoth 1000 out of 1000 times. Tommy was the main guy at Warmoth for their 1st 15 years, and got them on the map.

Ron Kirn, also Endorses/Often Uses USACG. As does Crook, who makes guitars for Brad Paisley.

So USACG is second to none.

cmatthes

Silver Supporting Member
USACG is good, but Musikraft is better. Yes, I've worked with both, but I've kept the MK stuff.

Trending Topics