Who can mod a Fender Bassbreaker 15 Head to use a footswitch instead of the 3 way knob?

SinglecutGuy

Silver Supporting Member

We just got in the whole Bassbreaker series, and while I think they are poorly marketed, and misrepresented, they are fantastic amps. I especially like the 15 watt combo and/or head, and absolutely want to get one. My complaint (and I'm completely baffled by this oversight) is that the 3 gain stages on this amp, while completely usable and amazing for each one, aren't able to be changed with a footswitch, making this amp unusable in a live setting. I can't believe they designed an amp that has a 3 way selector in the top, and no way to change this with a footswitch, let alone offer a footswitch jack for any purpose on the amp.

I'd love to get one of the heads for live use, but would need to be able to switch between the 3 gain stages of "Structure" with a footswitch. Who does amp modifications for things like this?

Der JD

I have a 15 head. While I think it would be cool to have a footswitch, I'm not sure how useful it would be for me. I find that anytime I change the gain structure switch, I also have to adjust volume, bass, and sometimes the treble knob due to the different voicings between the structures.

Really, I think this is meant to be considered a 1 channel amp. You set it where you want it and use your volume knob and/or pedals to make changes.

Fro68

Silver Supporting Member
It's a brand new amp model. Most have probably never layed eyes on one, I haven't. That said, I'm sure there's a tech out there somewhere who could mod it for you.

spiral

IMO it would be very challenging because it's not a digital switch and it's actually making 3 distinct analog connections. That would mean you need at least 4 wires (1 ground, 3 connections) and then latching switches that would disengage the previous one—which to my knowledge, doesn't exist. You could potentially modify a wah or volume pedal with a detented potentiometer and replicate the three positions of the knob but you would still need a lead with 4 wires from the amp to the pedal.

This guy shows the guts of the Bassbreaker @ 3:00

Kozmyk

Could be done with the footswitch controlling relays to do the dirty work. Would be quite a job though and goodbye warranty...

Axe-Man

I talked to my tech about doing something to my Yeti and whilst definitely doable, it would involve relays and have additional volume pots to control the marked volume changes. It meant more holes, removing existing jacks (like using a speaker jack for a pot) or ugly double pots and who knows when its completed if the changes suck tone and muck up an already fantastic amp.

The BB15 seriously sounds killer but yikes...the insides...that isn't going live a long and happy life. Funnily enough I bought a little Orange recently and whilst they are made in China, Orange have moved away from flying leads and cheapo connectors for this very reason and have gone back to soldering everything for long term reliability.

Trending Topics