Who can rewind dead '57 Strat Pickup to authentic spec?

Discussion in '"Vintage" Instruments' started by junior marbles, Feb 13, 2020.

1. junior marbles

junior marbles Member

An old friend from Austria is visiting who brought his vintage '57 Strat over trying to get some help:
    He has a dead neck pickup (open winding, inaccessible for repair) and wants a rewind with the type of wire and winding technique closest to the original as possible (to get the same sound as his other pickups).

Who is the current vintage-rewind king or queen? Still Don Mare? Lindy Fralin? Someone new and mile-deep into this? My friend does not want "interpretations" or "customizations", just trying to get back to original.

Thanks,
    PP

Last edited: Feb 13, 2020
  2. 71strat

71strat Member

Fralin.

Rewind Process:
    Our rewind process is not just a rewind – it’s a complete Vintage Restoration. It’s a diagnosis, repair, and careful restoration back to complete and healthy working condition. Our process starts from the ground up – we find what’s wrong with your pickup, and make attempts to repair it first. If we can’t fix the pickup, we completely disassemble it, clean and straighten any parts, and re-assemble it with new lacquer and glue.

When you get a fully restored pickup, your pickup has been completely taken apart and rebuilt with great precision and care. We have special techniques to preserve the way your pickup looks, as well as winding by hand – just like Fender and Gibson did it back in the day.

HOW MUCH DOES IT COST?
    Rewinds are $75 per coil. Included in this service is the whole restore process and Wax Potting.

HOW LONG DOES IT TAKE?
    Most Rewinds take about 3-4 weeks, in the shop. If you want it back sooner, please include $50 with your payment as a Rush Fee. The Rush Service guarantees that your pickup will ship within five days.

Last edited: Feb 13, 2020
    HTE, teleman1, johnny q and 3 others like this.
  3. mad dog

mad dog Silver Supporting Member

Lindy Fralin. The middle p/u on my '61 strat was discovered to be dead in the early 90s. (I usually played neck only, so had not noticed.) Roger Sadowsky sent it off to Lindy. I'd not heard of him. Roger swore by his skills. You would never know it was not stock without being told. Sounds perfect, as it always had, just the same as original.

HTE, teleman1, Heinz W and 1 other person like this.
  4. John Quinn

John Quinn Member

No dog in this hunt but I have to say WOW! Only $75 for a vintage rewind that is a perfect re-creation! That's amazing if you ask me. Good for Fralin.

HTE, Atmospheric, NicDo and 1 other person like this.
  5. hogy

hogy Supporting Member

Jim Rolph is the very best. It will sound exactly as it should, and be visually undetectable.

Been dealing with him for 20 years and he has never disappointed.

Lindy Fralin is a great pickup maker, no question. Rolph has the edge on vintage rewinds.

HTE, lousyatit, Yamaha 1421 and 10 others like this.
  6. junior marbles

junior marbles Member

Please explain the difference. You had experience with Fralin AND Rolph?
    My friend wants this to also look as close to the other two as possible after the repair, so he was frowning a bit when I translated Fralin's words: "clean and straighten any parts"... "new lacquer and glue".

He's worried that this thing afterwards does not look like the others anymore (pole pieces, wax on windings, etc....), let alone what it's going to sound like.

7. stark

stark Supporting Member

Rolph, he did my 54’ strat.

fender753, bigstar, M-F and 1 other person like this.
  8. derekirving

derekirving Supporting Member

9. vortexxxx

vortexxxx Supporting Member

If you are worried about looks as opposed to who may have vintage rolls of the original wire if needed, you have many options as most winders do not have exactly the same vintage wire. It'll likely sound a bit or much different with different wire.

10. Laurent Brondel

Laurent Brondel Supporting Member

11. Bluzeboy

Bluzeboy Gold Supporting Member

ezra1 likes this.
  12. FlyingVBlues

FlyingVBlues Gold Supporting Member

I agree with @hogy. Jim Rolph is the absolute best for rewinding vintage pickups.

M-F likes this.
  13. eddie101

eddie101 Gold Supporting Member

Yeah, good luck with that and I’m not talking about his expertise either.

SnidelyWhiplash likes this.
  14. ttbear

ttbear Supporting Member

Jim Rolph. Great workmanship. Very knowledgeable. Great guy

M-F likes this.
  15. Laurent Brondel

???
    I have used Ron's pickups for years now, and find them to be the best in terms of vintage authenticity & tone. He's also rewound vintage pickups for me, he knows what he's doing.
    Countless influential guitar players use and have used Ron's pickups, if that means anything.

16. hogy

hogy Supporting Member

Yes. I've been repairing/restoring vintage guitars for a long time, and I've sent many pickups out to get them rewound.

I don't have recent experience with Fralin, but he is a knowledgeable and very competent guy.

Jim Rolph's work sounds exactly like vintage originals to me, and he really can make it look right, too. Like I said, His rewinds are basically undetectable.

You couldn't go wrong with either guy, but Rolph is my preference for vintage stuff.

HTE, fender753, M-F and 2 others like this.
  17. eddie101

eddie101 Gold Supporting Member

All due respect, that’s not what I said.

18. Laurent Brondel

What is it that you're saying?

19. npappas

npappas Member

foxyguitars likes this.
  20. Massive

Massive Supporting Member

I recently had Fralin rewind one of the coils of my original 1966 ES-335 pickup. He gave me a personal call to verify just what I wanted. I definitely appreciate his attention to detail.