1. The target date for the upgrade is August 11, 2020. We expect a few hours of downtime during that process. We will post on Twitter and Facebook to keep everyone updated on the progress.
    Dismiss Notice

Who can rewind dead '57 Strat Pickup to authentic spec?

Discussion in '"Vintage" Instruments' started by junior marbles, Feb 13, 2020.

1. eddie101

eddie101 Gold Supporting Member

First off, OK, he makes good pups but I wouldn't use the word "best" too lightly as his pups are not the be all end all. Secondly, he takes YEARS to complete his pups. Sure, he has (had?) a regular job but when you take $$ upfront and promise a deadline, you need to keep that at all costs. He promised me to replace three sets of my (called "mid 60's" I think?) pups 7 years(!) ago, and I haven't heard a peep from him since. After numerous emails requests were ignored, I just gave up. He might be a good pup winder but he's a poor business man and we have too many of those on this side of TGP lately.

SnidelyWhiplash likes this.
  2. sickboy79

sickboy79 Member

Absolutely another vote for Fralin.

3. junior marbles

junior marbles Member

Thanks to all for your input. After the majority of recommendations went to Don Mare, who was already recommended to me by a friend, I gave him a call, and we had a perfectly fine and wide-ranging conversation. He agreed to look at my dead pickup and then recommend a solution.

But it may be relevant to report that Don has shifted away from rewinding, and towards selling new pickups. He says it is very hard with a rewind to achieve the last few percentages towards vintage perfection.
    I will report results once they are in.

4. guitarman_1

guitarman_1 Silver Supporting Member

Hogy is 100%+ correct. The best in the business for vintage rewinds is JM Rolph.

5. slavenoid

slavenoid Supporting Member

Fralin rewound the middle pick up on my 57. Superb results. Search "Stratrina" on the Strat Talk forum.

6. Anje

Anje Supporting Member

+1 for Jim Rolph; I had him rewind the original pickups of my former '56 Strat, it sounded better than ever after his work and looked just perfect also.

7. fender753

fender753 Supporting Member

Another vote for Rolph as Hogy said. Rolph himself told me that most of the big dealers send their pickups to him for rewinds. On that note, he mentioned to be careful when buying vintage guitars from some dealers because he said he has rewound a few that dealers have not disclosed. To Hogys point, his work is so good its basically indistinguishable.

8. Anje

Anje Supporting Member

It would be "interesting" to know the list of those dealers that Jim refered to..

9. fender753

fender753 Supporting Member

He didn't specify and I didn't ask. Not my bear to poke. But my point is that his work is basically indistinguishable, and buyers beware on all things vintage.

Anje likes this.
  10. SnidelyWhiplash

SnidelyWhiplash Supporting Member

I'll say it. Life's too frickin' short! :cool:

eddie101 likes this.
  11. rhinocaster

rhinocaster Supporting Member

Rolph...best winds, most authentic tones, and a straight up pro to work with.

12. eddie101

Great guy and he knows his stuff - maybe more than I want to know but that's a story for another day. He'll talk your ears off but he's good guy. A great player to boot!

rhinocaster likes this.
  13. DrumBob

DrumBob Gold Supporting Member

I was also going to suggest Lindy Fralin.

14. DonM

DonM Member

hey update: - I have that same '57 here - I got it all fixed without _rewinding it_( that's some very-lucky-news) - had the finish coil wire originally been sanded free of the insulation correctly _above the solder eye_ - then it would have to keep on working but all the wrapped wire that went around the flatwork and back thru the Eye they were eventually all snapped in two - and so SHE DIED! - luckily I use always use a good Microscope - I saw that the coils Formvar wire coating was still fully intact inside the eyelet- that lead wire went down thru the Eyelets hole fully coated!-- and so the solder nor heat could help it connect ( has to be sanded) - so all those years that pickup had depended on those 4-loops of wire to make _" it's" connection_ whenever it snapped the last one of those loops - that's when it died - It's been great to own a Microscope - I have had it since I started - its saved pickups more than once here! - after doing this one, I will consider rewinding 1950 to '64s again - after 16 years in the trade I just want to revisit some old pickups and really give them a good going over - ( just Vintage I can accept _TO ME_ that's just '50-'64 only- stops with CBS and inside of 1965's thru today as those were most likely Machine-made... with a few exceptions on the early late '65's? ( JM ROLPH is great! I once had a two-hour conversation with him on vintage coils - pieces of that conversation struck a chord with me - - and it gave me some great ideas - and it has paid off - So my Hat Goes of to JM for his Heart and helping others get their start in this trade! ) Thanks JIM! Don Mare

lousyatit likes this.
  15. rhinocaster

So the OP went with Don Mare....it would seem obvious given it was the first name he mentioned. Glad it's solved.

Another TGP thread of no use....

eddie101 likes this.
  16. eddie101

And less drama which is rare on this side of TGP ;)

17. RickC

RickC Gold Supporting Member

No use??? I found it informative. It was assumed a rewind was required and that turned out not to be the case. Good for the OP's friend.

:beer

18. rhinocaster

Great for the OP's friend...no question. Glad it was resolved simply.

More that the decision was already made on who was going to be used for the work.

19. Fitzer

Fitzer Supporting Member

I like the idea of having my pickups rewound by a guy with a heavily 1990s website, comic sans font included. I’m serious. That’s an old man’s website and pickup rewinding is an old man’s game. I’m talking about Rolph here.

Baxtercat likes this.
  20. Kitwell

Kitwell Supporting Member

I talked to Ron yesterday... I know he is moving to full time, and working through backlog. 7 years does not sound right ... pm me and I will provide some contact info.