Who can solve my latency problem?

Discussion in 'Recording/Live Sound' started by shtetz, Mar 30, 2015.

1. shtetz

shtetz Member

I'm a new member here and wondered if any experts out there can figure out the cause of my fairly substantial latency problem (I would say its about 60-70 ms). We have a social hall with a traditional Yamaha home audio amplifier running to an 8-speaker ceiling set-up covering a 50 x 30 foot hall.

I hooked up a Shure wireless mic system to a small portable mixer and ran it into the amplifier from the RCA outputs on the mixer. I realize that home amplifiers are not designed for microphones, but I can't figure out why the latency is so significant. I do not get similar latency problems when I plug this mic into a normal P.A. system. Right now, it is unusable because of the extreme delay.

Thanks for any help you could provide

2. donnyjaguar

donnyjaguar Member

Wild guess here that its a surround-sound amplifier and the "rear" speakers have the "delay" feature turned on.

Other guess is the whole amplifier is intended for audio/video and the latency is inherent, possibly to allow adjustment of "synching" if the audio soundtrack is ahead or behind the video.

Of course I could be wrong.

3. /13guitarman

/13guitarman Member

It depends on the mixer input. Some pa mixers have a delayed output so the mic will not feed back while you are announcing. Just a guess without knowing your exact setup. How are you running 8 speakers off the amp without it being 70v transformers?

4. shtetz

shtetz Member

Thank you for your replies. This specifics of the set up are as follows:

The speakers are 8-ohm set up in series parallel wiring configuration.
    The mixer is an inexpensive 2-channel Beringer - I'm using the RCA output
    The wireless mic is a Shure SLX24/SM58 system
    The amplifier is a Yamaha RX-V675 7.2 Channel AV home audio Receiver

5. /13guitarman

/13guitarman Member

It sounds like the Yamaha is programmed with a surround sound simulation. You can program the delay in the rear speakers in MS. Look at each speaker volume output programming on your receiver. Consult the owner's manual.