Who Could Build This?

Discussion in 'The Small Company Luthiers' started by Pablomago, Feb 11, 2015.

1. Pablomago

Pablomago Member

It would basically be an LP Special Double Cutaway, but with some differences. First of all, I'd want neck through body construction, three P-90's with three knobs and mini switches for each pickup and a hardtail Strat bridge.

I got the idea after seeing some pictures of Jerry Garcia's Travis Bean 500. I had a TB-500 but let it go years ago. There were things I really liked about it, but the fingerboard was too flat for me and the aluminum neck had some drawbacks. But a wooden guitar like that might be a lot of fun. The neck through body would add sustain but be warmer then the aluminum neck. And like the Bean, the strings would be anchored at both ends of the neck. I wouldn't need anything fancy as far as finish goes. Mahogany or Alder body, mahogany neck with maple laminates, a solid color finish, dot inlays.

Who could create such a guitar?

2. TwoTubMan

TwoTubMan Member

This might be a long shot, but Doug Kauer maybe? He's no stranger to neck through guitars. I do like your basic idea.

3. Doc3

Doc3 Member

4. winterblu

winterblu Supporting Member

5. Route234

Route234 Member

6. Doc3

Doc3 Member

Here is a Vaschenko 7-string neck through build called the X7. The specs were:

"hull shape - horizon III
    tree - Corina , top - Ash
    through the 7- string neck - maple / wenge / maple / wenge / maple with inlaid letters "X" at the 12th fret
    pad - Ebony
    Bore - 25.5
    Bridge - floyd rose
    sensors - bridge D-Activator (DP720), certain SD SH- 6
    electronics - Potentiometer 2 push- pull'a volume for each humbucker cut-off for them, 3- way switch Bridge / Bridge + nek / Neck, kilsvitch (yet not known exactly in what will be performed )"

http://guitarmaster.forum24.ru/?1-1-60-00000164-000-10001-0

7. shadpeters

shadpeters Member

Really it's a fairly simple guitar, I would think any builder worth his salt could do this for you. I'd be happy to, but as I recently suffered a shop fire it will be some to before I'm up and running again, so unless you are up for waiting a while im probably not your man. A neck through is a little tougher than a set neck, but really not by much IMO, in some ways it's actually simpler to build a neck through. They only become really tricky when you want a carved top neck through.

8. thiscalltoarms

thiscalltoarms more gadgets than Batman. Gold Supporting Member

I'd go with David Myka personally, full custom is his speciality. You dream it, he breathes life into it a piece of wood to match your vision.

Mykaguitars.com

9. Jonathan

Jonathan Member

Here's a couple of pics, in case he doesn't want to peruse that mega thread. ;)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

10. goodwater

goodwater Member