• TGP is giving away a Strat, Tele, and Jazzmaster. Click Here for full details.
    Click Here to upgrade your account and enter today!

Who did you see at a small club gig that blew you away?

tfblaster

Platinum Supporting Member
Silver Supporting Member
Santana, Cheap Trick, Tom Petty. All at Beginnings in Schaumburg, IL.

Marinade

Silver Supporting Member
George Thorogood and the Delaware Destroyers at J.C. Dobbs on South St. in Philadelphia. One bruising juke joint, road house, bar band if there ever was one.

M. Shoop

Nils Lofgren
Steve Forbert
Julian Cope
Evan Johns & the H-Bombs
Danny Gatton
the Hellecasters
Rosie Flores
Jesse Dayton!!
Dale Watson
Dave Alvin
Hoodoo Gurus

timibucktwo

Silver Supporting Member
Buddy Guy at the Blind Pig in Ann Arbor in ‘89, never have seen anyone before or since so “on”, totally owned the crowd with his incredible playing and singing with the most effective use of dynamics I’ve ever experienced.
Late into the show he was walking through the crowd playing & occasionally signing napkins & such & he saw me holding the cd sleeve of “A Man And The Blues” and he smiled at me & patted my shoulder & took it and signed it.
Obviously a memorable night!

FoundIt

Silver Supporting Member
Bruce Hornsby (regularly, just before he made it), Little River Band where we sat so close to them that they were talking back and forth from the stage with my wife between songs, Spirit at a bar in D.C, Les Paul at the Iridium with Bucky Pizzarelli (honeymoon so we sat one person from Les as a gift from the club), Chick Corea and Return to Forever near Baltimore at Painter's Mill, and The Wooten Brothers who played around town often while growing up here. Gotta, say that between The Wootens, and Hornsby, both gigging regularly around town for years, it was a tough sell for other locals to get noticed at all. LOL.

Last edited:

Bluesful

Silver Supporting Member
The Darkness.

Really small club here in Perth.

Also the loudest gig I've ever experienced. I saw them at the same club a few years later and wore earplugs that second time.

Bob Womack

I saw Wishbone Ash at the Tin Pan in Richmond, VA last year.

They had just come from a huge festival in Europe and somehow sucked all that energy down into scale for a cramped 200-person venue. They rocked the place! More HERE.

Bob

mikebat

I saw Melissa Etheridge is a 1000 seat club (the old Club Soda) on a promo tour, just awesome.

Same place, Soundgarden with Monster Magnet, opening up. Loud and awesome.

Same place, Robben Ford, he came out on stage before they played and gave away a guitar, he was wearing white warm up gloves. Seemed odd at the time.

I also saw Rosie Gaines, a one time Prince backup singer, play a promo concert for industry types at a lunch at a fancy Chinese restaurant. We were about 30 people there. It was simply incredible.

ronmail65

Gold Supporting Member
Pat Travers Band - at Scandals in Ocean City, MD in 1984 (I've seen him many times since - but this first time blew me away)

YJM - at Hammerjack's in Baltimore, MD in 1990 - he was on fire and had not yet become a caricature

John s

AC/DC on their first American tour at a small hockey arena in Pennsylvania. I was 15 years old. My jaw dropped / my ears bled & I was "changed" forever. :)

Otto Tune

Followed a local blues pianist in Tampa named Reverend Ralph.
He was great, the kind who'd kick over the bench and play from his knees.
Then he got a band, I went to a club to see him and he was two hours late when I left.
I always wondered what became of him?

Trending Topics