Who Didn’t Get Along With Their Purple Plexi?

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by SweetClyde99, Sep 26, 2019.

1. Jim Marciano

Jim Marciano Supporting Member

2. Flouncingfleasbag

Flouncingfleasbag Member

I have the Black 100 with the boost... lower gain, it's awesome.

3. Burstbucker

Burstbucker Member

I got a used SE version a few weeks ago, the one with the white enclosure and purple script, I am super impressed with it, it is a real keeper IMO.

And that is coming from someone that has a TON of dirt pedals and has been playing since the 70s.

Such a simple pedal, easy to dial in and could replace just about everything else in my stash of dirt boxes.

blues and Big in Japan like this.
  4. kstrat62

kstrat62 Supporting Member

I have the big box purple with boost. The boost can actually blow you into another room if you're not careful! I have to keep it under 9:00. I like the tones throughout the gain sweep.

5. roquero

roquero Bold Supporting Member Silver Supporting Member

I have the later white SE. One of the best Marshalls-in-a-box type pedals, but in the end, the Menatone King of the Britains (the last version) came out ahead and is on my pedalboard.

Big in Japan and SweetClyde99 like this.
  6. turtleboy3

turtleboy3 Member

How do you compare both?

7. roquero

I have a 1983 Marshall Vertical Input 4104 JCM 800 from 1982 (it used to belong to Charlie Farren of the Joe Perry Project).

The KOB sounds and feels the most like that amp.

Not that the PP SE is bad, it comes close, but the KOB is more amp-like to me than it is a pedal.

I think Brian of Menatone added a charge pump to the last version of the KOB, so that might be a factor (more headroom).

turtleboy3 likes this.
  8. turtleboy3

turtleboy3 Member

Heard great things about Menatone. I really want to try his The King and Red Snapper.

9. roquero

You can't go wrong with anything Menatone makes.

10. jiml

jiml Supporting Member

I have a pile of LP Plexi pedals, really great pedal, but they have their subtle differences that make them unique. They all clean up really nicely, even the higher gain models.

I gigged the LP Provalve for years, it's essentially two Plexi pedals in one box. The second side of that pedal could get fuzzy with the gain pegged. I got rid of it once I got a few Plexi pedals, as it took up too much space.

Played a flame painted Plexi 800, a real paintpeeler, probably the highest gain Plexi LP makes. It was a bit too much for my rig, but I still have it somewhere.

Had a Jubilee for a bit, seemed to be more "polite" than the Plexi's I had before it. Still have it and will use it when I don't need that much aggressiveness.

I got a Purple Plexi off the last SNS, seems to fit between the Plexi 800 and Jubilee, it's on my 'board now.

I just swapped into a Plexi 100 with boost, looking forward to checking that one out.

They all seem to like smaller amps, I run them through 1x12 combos, they make them sound "bigger". I ran a Marshall type into a 4 x 12 cab a few times, the Plexi pedals all sounded "too big" and the low end was really too much.

I also snagged an AMP11 recently, and I found that it can get close to Plexi territory, if you pump up the bass a little.

Big in Japan likes this.
  11. bluesoul

bluesoul Gold Supporting Member

That is what I thought too.

12. blues

blues Supporting Member

I have an original PP100. I have it for 13 years. This one I can get it to sound like my 74' JMP 50 watt thoughout all levels of gain. Also in the real plexi realm of course.

Sounds great with A Victoria 45410,Deluxe and 5112

Also nails the boosted plexi mode on the Marshall Vintage Modern amp.

I don't have a treble isssue that a tone control on my guitar can't help.

Not alot of noise with my Strat or Tele beyond what a true single coil can make. Most of the time I have the volume
    on my guitar backed of a bit. Not maxed.

Cleans ups great. Nice for using the volume control on the guitar to go from clean to mean.

I have had a bunch of versions.

The purple old school build in the mxr sized box has a tone control that works well. I can't imagine not being able to dial out any harsh treble. Same with the Jubilee and the white SE. Both versions. I never had an issue.

This 100 sounds more raw compared to the above. I treat it like a COT50 and leave it on all the time. 90% of
    the time I only use one pedal between the guitar and amp.

The 100 with boost works well for me as well.

13. A440

A440 Silver Supporting Member

The plexi side of the vintage modern pedal is nice. Good for stuff like Free or Black Crowes.

pete12string likes this.
  14. Vanilla Latte

Vanilla Latte Member

I was happy with mine.....that is until I tried the Barber Direct Drive.

Gone.

saladin likes this.
  15. blues

blues Supporting Member

Which version are you talking about? The 100 with the bias adjustment can get "plexi" tones well.

The other versions with the tone and drive controls can get closer if you keep the drive around 3 o'clock

16. tonedover

tonedover Silver Supporting Member

i had too much noise with all three of the variations of Seans plexi pedals. love love love others of his, but the purple plexi, plexi 100 and jubiliee were all too noisy in my rig.

that said my boards are pretty large and i have an inkling his plexi pedals are prob really much better for guys chasing a “purer” tone

17. saladin

saladin Supporting Member

The Purple Plexi and the Provalve 2. Now I use either a Barber DD or an MI Audio Super Crunch Box...much better!

18. blues

blues Supporting Member

What I was asking for example was it the PP100 or the PP in the purple mxr style box? Thanks.

19. saladin

saladin Supporting Member

The Purple Plexi in the MXR style box.

20. blues

blues Supporting Member

In my case I found what I was looking for with the handwired PP100.

Thanks, I could see what you mean now.

The Purple Plexi 100 is more like a COT50 with a volume control. You can also turn the bias just about off
    and use it more like a boost.

The one you had is not the same.