Who does a good sparkle/metal flake?

Mr. E.

Kinda looking around for a custom painter who does good sparkle/metal flake finishes. Any suggestions? Been listening to a lot of James Wilsey lately; gave me the itch to doll up an old guitar or two ;)

Thanks!

Shiny McShine

I'm interested in this one too! I want a Jazzmaster in a some sort of metal flake that makes me think 60's surf. My friend has a purple one. I want blue, orange, or maybe silver.

cmatthes

Silver Supporting Member
Stike at ROWYCO Kustoms does great work and is a great guy to boot:

www.rowycokustoms.com

Check out the Gallery for some inspiring finishes.

Here's some flaky things he's done that have come home with me:

Shiny McShine

That purple is Jazz Master is what I'm talking about.

That's a grainy metalflake but I'll bet that under the lights and on a stage, it's more subdued (given that everything washes out and tones down under hot lights). I think it's probably what's needed for a live guitar.

shg, yes, they're intense but in the right context, they'd work.

Last edited:

cmatthes

Silver Supporting Member
Pics don't really do these justice. Outdoor shots would blind you though.

Marty Bell does great work as well, but can't shoot Nitro, if that's your thing - Stike does. I've had something done by Marty, and it came out beautifully, so no complaints, but I've known Stike a long time and he's also a TGP member, so that's the "go-to" route for me.

carbz

Silver Supporting Member
I had a local guy spray a rainbow flake for me on a guitar. The flake was from HOC. It was the fine grade flake. Came out pretty dam good. I actually painted the base coat black then he sprayed the flake and clearcoat. I watched him do it and it honestly didn't seem that difficult. It looks like Marty Bell does some sick ass finihes.

Eric Pykala

Cool thread and thanks for the links! I was looking to get a Les Paul top done in silver 'flake, and now I know where to send it.

Trending Topics