Who does Filmosound conversions?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by Braunzo, Sep 20, 2017.

1. Braunzo

Braunzo Member

I might have a few Filmosound amps laying around and I’m curious who all specializes in converting these things... and how expensive it can be.

s360guitarist likes this.
  2. misa

misa Supporting Member

3. PurpleJesus

PurpleJesus Jimi actually wrote Wind Cries Mary about me Staff Member Supporting Member

http://www.heydaymusic.net/

Braunzo likes this.
  4. ericghanus

ericghanus Member

filmotone.com

Braunzo likes this.
  5. Braunzo

Braunzo Member

I contacted Colin Cripps and asked him a bit about who he recommends. He suggested Super Fuzz Audio in Toronto. So I might get a hold of them and see how much it would be as far as an estimate goes.

6. s360guitarist

s360guitarist Silver Supporting Member

Depends on what you wanted it converted to right? I mean the Tex Amps circuit is different than the At Mars. Would think you would have to pick first the tone you are going for...

apalazzolo likes this.
  7. Braunzo

Braunzo Member

Thanks guys. I have contacted a couple people and have yet to receive a response...

8. teleking36

teleking36 Supporting Member

Some of the conversions can be a little cost-prohibitive depending on who you work with. If you have a solid candidate of an amp, it can be cheaper to do certain things.

I would definitely reach out to filmotone. Super solid dude. He does it on the side but has been a wealth of knowledge in terms of getting the most out of these fantastic little amps.

Braunzo likes this.
  9. cocheese

cocheese Silver Supporting Member

How do you contact Filmotone? From his website, all I get is an Instagram page.

I have a 385 that I'd love to have put into one his 1x12 tweed combos. Soooooooooo cool!

10. Braunzo

Braunzo Member

I don't think he's actually the one that does the conversions. I think he's just an enthusiast.

11. filmosound

filmosound Member

Dave Robinson. Check him out on Facebook -- Dave's Tube Amp Repair in Georgetown, Ontario. He posts a lot of photos of Filmosound conversions he does.

12. cocheese

cocheese Silver Supporting Member

Thanks for the info. I think I have a lead on a good guy for now. Excited for this little Franken-amp!

13. SgMaster

SgMaster Supporting Member

Are you trying to have it gutted and a new circuit rebuilt like some of the guys or retain most of the original? If the latter, any good amp tech can switch the speaker jacks to 1/4" and tweak voicing to make it less dark. I just got a 385 and getting it up and running as-is to see how it works for me. If not great, will try to use someone else. PurpleJesus's guy in NC studied a Bernie and figured out how to get close to the tweaks on that specific one, if I recall correctly after talking to him. Is that right @PurpleJesus ?

14. PurpleJesus

PurpleJesus Jimi actually wrote Wind Cries Mary about me Staff Member Supporting Member

Not a Bernie. A Bill Krinard- Two Rock designer/founder.

15. SgMaster

SgMaster Supporting Member

Ah sorry yes. I knew it was still a desirable and hard to find (con)version of the 385 either way