1. A proposal is now up as a poll to change the guidelines of TGP to only allow member self-deleting of post/threads for up to thirty days of the original posting it. We are now watching the poll here. Click here to view the thread.

Dismiss Notice

Who does not favor a treble bleed mod

Discussion in 'Luthier's Guitar & Bass Technical Discussion' started by mannish, May 23, 2011.

1. mannish

mannish Member

Seems the vol treble bleed mod on Strats are a no brainer as far my limited knowledge goes. I am curious to those who not like them and why

It would make sense to me that all strats would come this way but then again I could be missing something

educate me

2. rabbuhl

rabbuhl Member

I have only one guitar with a Treble bleed mod. I am thinking about removing it because that particular guitar is really bright sounding.

3. buddastrat

buddastrat Member

Me. Hate them. They all seem to thin out the tone. On single coils, I want it to warm up so it sounds a little thicker. I think some people think of it backwards. Roll it back a bit and EQ your stuff. Then you'll get a little more clarity when you want to boost your volume/dirt. PERFECT!

When I roll back the knob, there is less gain and compression. With keeping or adding treble that sounds too thin or plinky.

See my sig

4. Wayne Alexander

Wayne Alexander Supporting Member

I'm with buddastrat on this. I play most of the time with the guitar volume on 8 or so, and turn the guitar volume up to get brighter and gainier. I don't use pedals much, and I've got responsive amps (current favorite seems to be the 65Amps Stone Pony). So clean is at the lower ranges of the guitar volume control and louder/gainier/brighter at the top.

5. SonicBlue61

SonicBlue61 Member

I'm not a fan for 2 reasons.

1) If you use just a cap for this mod your tone gets brighter as you roll the volume down. I think this is worse than original issue of getting darker.

2) If you use a cap and resistor for this mod, this can fix problem #1 but then you screw up the pot taper.

6. mannish

mannish Member

I have it backwards apparently. I asked because I was playing a guitar without one this weekend. if I don't have my volume at at least 7 more like 8 or so it loses a lot of tone. I thought the vol bleed was supposed to help with that tone loss. I'll try it with eq'ing the tone some when I have to roll back
    thanks

7. rabbuhl

rabbuhl Member

When I ordered my loaded pickguard I said "no treble bleed" please and it came with one anyway. I am having the pickguard rewired with an S1 switch. So, I am not "crazy" to leave it off this time???

8. 1radicalron

1radicalron Member

Jimi, Stevie, Robin did not use the Treble Bleed - I dont either. = Next

9. Jef Bardsley

Jef Bardsley Member

+1000!

I always dial in my amps with the guitar volume turned down. Then I have a volume/treble boost knob at my fingertips instead of a switch on the floor.

10. Ronsonic

Ronsonic Member

It's been a big variable for me depending on which guitars, amps, style of music and how I'm setting gain on the amp and / or pedals if used.

This is all one very complicated knot that all add up to what works for you and what you learn to work with. As was pointed out, some of the greats never used them, others did. Whether you need one or not usually depends on how you set the amp and use the controls on the guitar. Guys who never touch the tone control and have two volume settings usually want one. If you use the tone control on the guitar you probably don't need one.

11. Pedro58

Pedro58 Member

I don't like them on Strats. That's the only type of guitar I ever tried them on. Makes the guitar sound thin and messes with how my fuzz pedals work.

12. mannish

mannish Member

I think dialing it in with the guitar vol low is good advice for me to follow

13. rwijaya

rwijaya Member

don't like them at all. tried using them for a while and its just sound very un-naturaland thin to my ear. I just use the Rs volume pot to retain slight treble when i roll down my volume on my guitar.

14. chervokas

chervokas Member

I agree, this is a great way to do it. Plus, I have found, if you use low capacitance cables, you really don't need a treble bleed workaround because you get a more usable range of tone darkening as you roll back the volume. I hate the sound of treble bleed circuits.

15. EADGBE

EADGBE Member

I rarely turn down. So I don't really use them. But when I do turn down I sort of like the warming up of the tone.

16. DT7

DT7 Member

I don't like the way it messes with your tone when you turn down. I never use one.

17. Shiny_Beast

Shiny_Beast Supporting Member

I'm pretty happy with he jangly tones I get at half volume with a standard strat.

18. Lolaviola

Lolaviola Supporting Member

I don't like them because lately I have been setting the amp with less bass, and more treble. With the vol. on 8 I am at a good 'dark' tone, that increases in brightness and volume as I turn up for a louder passage.

19. Don A

Don A Silver Supporting Member

I don't like it because it's incompatible with germanium fuzz pedals. When I turn the guitar down to clean up the fuzz, the tone gets thin.

20. HipKitty

HipKitty Silver Supporting Member

I'm with the crowd on this one...too thin IMHO..and ears. Knowing how to set up the pickups/guitar and use what you have overrides and eliminates any perceived benefit to the treble bleed mod..again, IMHO